Lentil Tabbouleh

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Lentil Tabbouleh

Post by Gwennaford »

Lentil Tabbouleh

Ingredients

3 cups seasoned Lentils, cooked al dente (they need to be firm/chewy), cooled, and drained
1 or 2 large bunches fresh Parsley including most of the stems
2 medium Kirby Cucumbers (taste peel & remove if bitter) or one large English Cucumber, well scrubbed
2 medium firm diced fresh Tomatoes, or one pint Cherry (quartered) or Grape Tomatoes (halved)
2 medium Carrots (about 1 cup) shredded (optional)
2 whole fresh Lemons
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves fresh Garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons Brown Mustard
1 ½ teaspoons Sea Salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper

Directions

Salad:  

1. Place lentils into a large mixing bowl.  
2. Dice cucumber and tomatoes into small dice (¼ to ½-inch), remove and discard any large seeds.  Add to lentils along with shredded carrots.  
3. In a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, finely mince parsley stems, then add leaves and chop coarsely.  Add parsley to the cooled lentils.  Do not wash processor bowl yet.

Dressing:  

1. Remove yellow lemon zest with a veggie peeler.  With a sharp knife, remove and discard white pith from lemons.  Slice lemons, remove and discard seeds.  Add sliced fruit and zest to the food processor.  Pureé.
2. Place EVOO and garlic into a small microwavable bowl, cover loosely, and microwave for 30 seconds.  
3. Add EVOO, garlic, mustard, sea salt and pepper to lemon pureé in food processor; blend to emulsify.
4. Pour dressing over salad, toss gently to mix well.  Transfer salad to a non-reactive bowl with a tight-fitting lid, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving to blend flavors.  Invert sealed bowl several times to distribute dressing just prior to serving.  

Makes about 8 cups
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 10th, 2010, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Lentil Tabbouleh

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks Gwen for the recipe and  VickyLynn, for telling me what Tabbouleh is.  I plan to make it, because I enjoy different foods.  I had Eggplant parmigiana, today.  Sooo delicious.  I also had fresh corn, not from Ohio.  Wonder where it came from, because it was so fresh.  Maybe, the Fla Keys?  :thumbsup:  Joyful Friend
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks.  I really enjoyed it.  It was so sweet and tender.  I put ICBINB spray on it and a little salt.  :thumbsup:  JF
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I am definitely going to try this. I miss having Tabbouleh. It would be great with my Greek turkey burgers or meatballs. <3