Oriental Soybean Stir-fry

Great filling main dish recipes!
niki

Re: Oriental Soybean Stir-fry

Post by niki »

mary...this looks really delicious....it looks like chinese pepper steak using soybeans instead....what a GREAT idea....i LOVE beans...and here's another way of eating them besides soup.........i just have to find the soybeans...my supermarkets don't have them..i went to trader joe's which is like a health food supermarket(i checked their website to see if you guys have this store in florida and you don't)they don't have them either...actually,i was surprised to see that this store doesn't sell ANY dried beans(i guess they don't make a big profit on them)....so i just have to look around....thank you for being the ingenious person that you are.................niki   
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

Yes, this sounds totally yum, Mary! I'm going to try it as soon as I can buy the soy beans! Thanks...

Rhea
niki

Post by niki »

mary....i must have bought a bag of soybeans at least 2 months ago and it took me this long to cook them.......they're GREAT.....NOW i understand how edamame are young soybeans..they both have that same crunch that is totally unique to soybeans that no other bean has....i don't have ginger in the house....i stir fried onion and green pepper in a little oil and then added the soybeans and tossed in some tamari sauce...the soybeans absorbed some of the tamari giving them that nice crunchy taste that almost has the texture of cashews when you make them with chinese food....i bought eggplant and did it with eggplant and onion the day after......the next time i buy fresh string beans i'm going to use those with onions....you can make a chinese stir fry with all your favorite vegetables.....i even used chopsticks...........i used to make something like this with tofu when i followed a vegetarian diet for a yr or two........but,that was NOTHING compared to this....this was GREAT...............
  i read a lot of info about soybeans...the best links we got were from rhea and they're on the boards if you look...noone really has a problem with the poor little humble soybean that never made anyone THAT much money....it's the industry that makes all the products of it,particularly the protein shakes that people question...so educate yourselves about this issue and don't deprive yourselves of an excellent protein source...
  EVERYONE,you have to try eating soy beans this way....even if you're not a vegetarian,it's a great way to cut down on the meat,chicken and fish that you eat..and i had been eyeing someone's chinese food at work...this took care of that..................it's great.............TRY IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT...................niki 
imkay

Post by imkay »

so niki,  they were dry and you cooked them first then added them to your "chinese" dish?  how long did you cook them.  i had some that i soaked and cooked but i think i did it wrong.  they never got soft enough.  i have not bought any more but this sounds so good i would love to try them again.
thanks!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
niki

Post by niki »

they don't get soft...they are the same texture as edamame...kind of like nut texture...i soaked them overnight and simmered them for say 3 hours(with nothing with them...tomato sauce with the beans keeps them from cooking completely..i read that about beans and i'm assuming that that's true of soybeans also)
  then i put them in a container in the fridge and after sauteing the vegetables,i added the soybeans just to heat them up and tossed in some tamari sauce...i'm looking forward to making them with stir fried fresh string beans......it's such a nice change...chinese flavor....healthy soybeans............................niki     
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

These sound very tasty, Niki. I'll have to look for dried soy beans when I hit the bulk place again or the HFS. I've been taking the easy - and expensive! - way out and using the frozen ones shelled or unshelled. So easy to heat up - toss a  handful in a cereal bowl with a little water, cover, and nuke (I know you don't use yours) for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes on high. So fresh, tasty, firm and good! Toss 'em in my salads, my smoothies, onto my occasional omelet, or even just eat them when passing by the fridge and I want to grab something. Very sweet, those soy beans!.... Stir fry coming up....thanks again, Niki! nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

i still have leftover soybeans in the fridge...i grabbed a handful and ate them the way i would eat edamame and they were GOOD................good ole humble little soybean...............niki