TURKEY PASTRAMI

Great filling main dish recipes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

TURKEY PASTRAMI

Post by LINDA RN »

Saw this on Primal Grill and saw that it was an LDL acceptable lunch meat without the artificial processing.

TURKEY PASTRAMI
Adapted from How to Grill by Steven Raichlen (Workman, 2001)

Method:Direct Grilling
Serves: 8-12
Advance Preparation:
24 hours for curing the turkey

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons ground coriander
2-1/2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
1 teaspoon aniseed or ground anise
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons mustard
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar Try Maltitol Brown Sugar-Free Sweetener
1 teaspoon ground mace
8 to 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 to 2 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil

Other Items Needed:
2 cups wood chips, soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover, then drained

Directions:
Make the rub: Coarsely crush the coriander seeds in a mortar with a pestle, in a spice mill or coffee grinder, or by wrapping them in a dish cloth and crushing them with the edge of a heavy skillet. Combine the crushed seeds and the remaining rub ingredients in a small bowl and mix well with your fingers.

Rinse the turkey breast under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Using poultry shears, cut off the ribs, if necessary, and discard or save them for stock. Sprinkle and pat the rub on the turkey. Cover the breast with plastic wrap or place in a large resealable plastic bat (you will need to turn the bag 2 or 3 times during the curing process) and let cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Set up the smoker or the grill (for indirect grilling). Preheat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center between the piles of coals. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-low.

When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. If using charcoal, toss 1 cup of wood chips on the coals. Brush the excess rub off the turkey with a paper towel. Place the breast in the center of the hot grate over the drip pan, away from the heat; cover the grill. Grill the breast until tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours (the cooking time will depend on the size of the breast and the heat of the smoker or grill). To test for doneness, use an instant-read meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees F. If using a charcoal grill, youll need to add 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup wood chips per side after 1 hour.

Transfer the turkey pastrami to a platter and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold. To serve, cut the pastrami into thin slices across the grain.
Last edited by LINDA RN on July 24th, 2011, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: TURKEY PASTRAMI

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This sounds great but can the brown sugar be substituted with sf brown sugar.  I can't remember what it is called but I have used it a couple times in small amounts.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to it and missed the brown sugar completely.
Not sure Sugar Free will work though, there is something about the sugar necessary for browning when grilling.
If anyone tries this with the sugar free please post the result.
I will edit, but if it doesn't work I will delete the post.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

A small amount of honey would probably work well.  Pam