Spicy Smoky Refried Chicken Wraps

Great filling main dish recipes!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Spicy Smoky Refried Chicken Wraps

Post by VickiLynn »

This recipe was published in my local newspaper and seemed like a good LDL main dish with just two changes -- regular refried beans to fat-free refried beans and 1/2 of the cheese that the recipe calls for -- these changes have been made to the recipe.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15 oz) can fat-free refried beans
1 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Tomato salsa, chopped fresh cilantro, and sour cream to garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Carefully slice each chicken breast in half horizontally to create 4 thin fillets. One at a time, place each fillet between sheets of plastic warp and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until evenly thin and about twice as large.Sprinkle both sides of each piece of chicken with lime juice, then season with salt and pepper. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet, then set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the refried beans, hot sauce, cumin, paprika, and cheese. Spread a quarter of the mixture evenly over each fillet. Roll each fillet into a tight bundle and tie with kitchen twine or pin with toothpicks to keep from unrolling. Spritz each bundle with cooking spray, then bake for 25 minutes.  Serve topped with salsa, cilantro, and sour cream.

Note: If using sour cream, use a just a dab and make it light or fat-free.
Last edited by VickiLynn on March 22nd, 2012, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharolyn

Re: Spicy Smoky Refried Chicken Wraps

Post by Sharolyn »

VickieLynn, this looks good! Have you tried it yet?
Shari

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I need to get some smoked paprika. I don't think I had heard of paprika that's smoked. I really like to try new things; especially seasonings that complement LDL dishes.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I got the smoked Paprika at Wal-Mart. It really adds a SW flavor.
It is good to add to taco soup
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thx Linda, I'll add that to my walmart list!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I'm going to look for smoked paprika the next time I go Walmart! I love the taco soup, Linda, & I can't believe it could taste any better!  :D
Shari

VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Sharolyn wrote:VickieLynn, this looks good! Have you tried it yet?

I made this dish for lunch for the first time and I was not pleased with the results. There is no way all of the re-fried bean mixture can go on four very thinly pounded chicken fillets because it squirted out  :poo: .  And because they were so thin, 25 minutes baking time dried them out. I loved the bean mixture though and will try this recipe again. But I am going to use four chicken breasts, not two cut in half. I'll also pound them out a so they are a little thicker and bake for 20 minutes. The bean mixture alone would be a great side dish.
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I've been buying packages of 3 chicken breasts at HEB lately. There is only 3 of us and the breasts are usually pretty big. So, do you think the filling will fit in 3 large, pounded chicken breasts ok? When I get the paprika, this is on my "to cook" list.  :D
Shari

VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Shari,

The filling should fill 3 large, pounded chicken breasts. But I would still caution about filling them too full to prevent the "squirt". I put my extra filling into an oven-proof bowl, covered it with foil, and baked it alongside the chicken.