LDL Spanish Rice

Great filling main dish recipes!
SweetRose
Master Member

LDL Spanish Rice

Post by SweetRose »

I made a delicious substitute for Spanish rice. The simple recipes is as follows: (You may adjust ingredients; the "star" of this recipe is cauliflower).

Fresh cauliflower
Seasoned meat sauce using the leanest possible cooked ground beef, lowest sugar canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, bell pepper, onions, celery. Also stirred in a can of enchilada sauce and extra chili powder.

I would have also added fresh chopped cilantro if I'd had it.

I let sauce simmer for awhile while I grated the cauliflower ( to look like rice) and microwaved for 5 minutes with a couple of tablespoons of water.

I then drained the cauliflower and added the meat sauce. I have to caution that this faux Spanish rice does not need a lot of the sauce. It does not absorb like real rice, so don't add too much sauce when you're mixing it all together. If you add too much sauce, continue to cook over low heat until desired consistancy is reached.

Also, leftovers are great, but the texture gets crisper (vegetably) after refrigeration. It's more like rice texture when you eat it soon after preparation. No matter when you eat it, this dish does not taste like cauliflower.

I topped with a little butter spray, parmesan cheese (canned) and salsa. Yum! You could add sliced black olives and a dollop of lowfat sour cream if you like. I ate it with a side of sliced cucumbers in fat-free Italian dressing.

As you can see, this recipe is totally lower carb; I eat low carb at dinner, for maximum weight loss. :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
Last edited by SweetRose on April 21st, 2012, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
Eljayne
Master Member

Re: LDL Spanish Rice

Post by Eljayne »

Sounds interesting.  I actually love cauliflower and I love Spanish Rice. Think I'll give it a try.  Thanks, Elj
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Sounds like something my family would like! Thanks!
Shari

StarrBright

Post by StarrBright »

New to LDL, but I was wondering if you could use bean sprourts. Rinse then drain, cut them into small pieces that look like rice.  They will take on the flavor of all the other things in this recipe. I have use them with spaghetti sauce for the noodle.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Welcome to the boards.  Yes, you can use sprouts.  Slaw could also do.  :thumbsup: JF