1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes
1/2 cup raisins
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Kosher salt and pepper
1 red onion, cut into 1/2-in. wedges
Butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
1 15-oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo), drained and rinsed.

Prep: To prepare the squash, slice 1/2 in. off each end, then cut crosswise where the bulb meets the neck. Use a peeler to remove the skin. Cut the bulb in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut all squash into 1-in. pieces.

1. Place tomatoes (and their juices) in a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker and break them up slightly. Add the raisins, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; mix to combine.

2. Add the onion and squash, cover, and cook until squash is tender, 5-7 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high. When squash is tender, uncover and gently fold the chickpeas into the stew and cook, covered, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Re: Butternut Squash Stew

Post by snowbirdie »

Yum! sounds so good!  I am gonna make for dinner tonite. It is cold and hot stew will be good. Was 22o this morning. I'll let yo u know how we like it.
                                    Judie
tres

Post by tres »

I'll have to bookmark this one!  Sounds yummy!

Tres
If you are what you eat...then I'm a fruit!
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My daughter made this stew for dinner and it was a big hit.  She barely had enough to take to work tomorrow. She is planning LDL menus for this week, which makes it easy for me to accept dinner invitations. Thanks Vickilynn. The flavors were so exotic.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11