London Broil recipe??

Great filling main dish recipes!
pthall2

London Broil recipe??

Post by pthall2 »

In the book, Roger talks about enjoying London Broil.  I have little experience with cooking beef without it being dry.  Does anyone have ideas or recipes on how to cook this cut of beef?  Thanks in advance!
niki

Re: London Broil recipe??

Post by niki »

hi...i marinate london broil when i make it,with a soy sauce marinade...although now i bought a healthier one without sugar in it....i marinate it overnight.....it depends on how thick they are(that's what makes it a problem)if it's a thinner london broil,i might say 7 minutes on each side and if it's thicker,maybe 10 minutes on each side....i usually barbeque when my brother is over and he somehow just knows how to do it right(so when he comes over,i let him take care of the outside work and i take care of the inside stuff)......i'm sure you'll get some good input here on this subject.....
  and since it looks like you're new to ldl,wecome to the program and to our boards....for every person i see find this program and these boards,i'm very happy.......it's changed my life and it will do the same for you.......niki
MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae »

Hello . . . london broil can be tricky to cook.  I am not good at grilling, but my husband is the Weber master (charcoal, never gas).  Most of the time we marinate it.  I know it must be sliced thin along the grain of the meat.  That means, if the knife goes through "smooth" you are with the grain; if the meat feels "tough" you are not with the grain.  Slicing the meat against the grain will make it chewy.  Sometimes I have to make a few slices and taste it just to make sure I am slicing it correctly.  Also, I believe that london broil is best when cooked rare.  I, personally, like mine quite rare.  I hope this helps.

**Maggie
niki

Post by niki »

that's what i have too..a weber kettle grill(charcoal)...my brother has one too...when we bought them a few years ago,it seemed like everyone had gas grills.....but,we love it....i particularly like chicken on the barbeque...especially when it's marinated the way greeks do(lemon juice,chopped onion,oregano,salt,pepper)for a day or two.....
  you're right about slicing it thin...and rare is better   because when you put it in the fridge overnight,it becomes less rare(i remember the first time i saw that happen)...and cutting it on the grain...i kind of just do that without thinking about it....i love to barbeque...
Last edited by niki on June 23rd, 2006, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Post by niki »

hey mary....i knew as soon as i saw the word "barbeque" i'd get a new marinade recipe.....i don't usually cook with wine...but this sounds really good....i'm going to do it the next time i barbeque steak.......thanks.....niki
MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae »

We grill nearly everyday and all year long.  I live in the Pocono Mountains and we even grill in the winter.  I don't know how my husband does it, but he's a great griller.  He cooks the meat outside and I cook the sides inside.

London broil is the only meat that I will eat cold, right from the fridge.  I buy a huge broil, it's just my husband and myself, and I eat it for several days.  I have found that I don't like it frozen.  To me, it seems to have an odd taste if this particular cut of meat is frozen prior to cooking.  It could just be me!   ;)

**Maggie
pthall2

Post by pthall2 »

Thanks for the great input on how to cook London Broil.  I'll try it and let you know!

Paula