4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn kernels or 2 fresh corn on the cob, kernels cut off
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder – more or less depending on taste
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups shredded Queso Quesadilla (Mexican melting cheese) or Monterey Jack – use divided

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place peppers over a hot grill, gas burner or under a broiler and char all over, about 10 minutes. Turn regularly to ensure the peppers are completely blackened. When done place peppers in a large mixing bowl and cover with foil or cling wrap and let them set for about 20 minutes until cool enough to handle. When cooled peel the skin off the peppers.

While peppers are cooling heat a large skillet over medium heat. Sautee onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, corn, beans, ground cumin, dried oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Take off heat and pour into a large mixing bowl.

Reserve about 6 tablespoons of cheese for topping the stuffed peppers and add the rest to the vegetable mixture. Stir to mix.

Take cooled, peeled peppers and make a slit along the side of each one lengthwise, making sure you do not cut the peppers in half. Scoop out the seeds and veins with a small spoon. Scoop 1/6th of the mixture into each pepper. Place peppers in a lasagna pan or similar baking dish and top each with about 1 tablespoon of the reserved cheese. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted.

Servings

Serves 6 gluten free people.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Gluten Free Grilled Chili Relleno recipe

Post by LINDA RN »

Yummmmm
This sounds great!
Bet you could even substitute cubed butternut squash for the potato
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I think butternut would even be better. There was a great pic. on the internet but I didn't know how to get it on the board. you could probably find it Linda. Maybe I should take a computer class when I am retired.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

OK..now that's not fair!! The picture it was sent me over the edge..lol..Now I am on my way to the store to buy the ingredients!! I was just going to chill and be lazy today. But now. I will get some exercise going to the grocery store and maybe for the first time in my life. Buy was is just on the list..Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Man, on woman! I can't wait for dinner now. My mouth is watering. This is my ultimate favorite in mexican food. I will probably use the squash or beans now. Sweet potato might be a trigger for me at this time. I am staying away from any kinda of "sweet" food or the word. Eating LDL to get over the sweet binge cravings now. Almost there too. YEAH!.. I will have to bake it in fake eggs like my Mom used to do, only she didn't use fake eggs of course.
Thank you..xxoo Zesti