Greek Turkey Burgers

Great filling main dish recipes!
omalani
Master Member

Greek Turkey Burgers

Post by omalani »

Turkey Burger Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need for your yummy healthy Greek turkey burger:

•Start off with a pound of ground turkey. A combination of dark and white meat is best. It’s juicier than all white meat.
•½ cup of crumbled feta cheese.
•½ cup of cooked spinach squeezed dry.
•½ cup of chopped onions. You can add ½ cup of green or red peppers too.
2 cloves of garlic minced
And then the following 6 seasonings, and adjust these measurements to suit your palette:
•Dill – one of my favorites so I add 2 teaspoons of yummy dill. You can choose fresh or dried seasonings. Just remember that dried is more potent and should be about half the portion of fresh.
•Oregono - is another great spice that works well dry or fresh
•Cumin – not one of my favorites but it does add a punch so I only use about ½ teaspoon
•About a ½ teaspoon of salt
•And ½ to 3/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.
Mix Ingredients Together
Now take all these yummy ingredients and thoroughly toss them together. It’s important to spread
all the spices out evenly across the turkey meat. You’ll end up with 4 healthy size burgers. Grill or Fry Burgers
Fry or grill your burgers just like a regular hamburger. But remember it’s turkey and needs to
be cooked all the way through. If you’ve got a thermometer, make sure the temperature is at
155 degrees. Cooking 5 to 6 minutes on each side should do it.
You can also make meatballs and bake them on parchment paper at 400 for 10 min. then turn them over to brown the other side for about 5-10 min. You could also stuff parboiled red or green peppers with the meat mixture or make a meatloaf. Be creative and play some greek music when you serve it.

Make Greek Yogurt Sauce (optional)
Next we’re going to make a quick and easy sauce that’ll end your love for ketchup forever.
We’re going to use a cup of plain yogurt. You can use low fat or greek style if you prefer.
Add about of teaspoon of freshly grated lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
and 1-2 teaspoons of fresh or dried dill. Add just a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. Mix it
all together for a great refreshing sauce.

My grandkids sampled a meatball and wanted more! I had to tell them no, because they are for the LDL presentation.
SweetRose
Master Member

Re: Greek Turkey Burgers

Post by SweetRose »

Sounds really good! I love to try new recipes.

Thanks Omalani!

SweetRose @};-
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The meatballs were so delish even at room temp they were a great snack.
Gonna have to get some fetta cheese and try this.
I suppose you could use 1/2 ground serloin with 1/2 ground chicken or turkey breast if you want a beefier flavor.
They were soooo good even without the sauce!
Last edited by LINDA RN on July 6th, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I made some yesterday. the turkey comes in 12oz. chubs. I added a whole pkg. of frozen spinach. then I stuffed 2 peppers. I cut them in half lenghtwise, so it made 4 peppers. I ran out of foil and my toaster oven tends to over brown things on the top. They were a little dry so I put the artichoke bruchetta sauce on top and they were delish. So while everyone else ate pizza, cupcakes and ice cream; I had my stuffed peppers that Gina said tasted like the Turkish Dolmas. I had snacked on popcorn before I went over so I wasn't hungry, out of my mind, I gotta have something right now. My ex was there as usual, so I have to deal with that, but I don't care as much these days, because I am happy with myself. Gina told me not to eat the pizza when I opened the box and nibbled on some cheese and a mushroom. She wasn't judgemental but encouraging because she is so proud of my progress. As I have said in the past. pizza is a trigger food and chips and fresh tomato salsa need to be added to the list! #-o I survived and this morning when I woke up at 3:30AM there were posts! :ymapplause: I am so happy for Michele from Hawaii!! We can do great things through Christ who strenghtens us. Just don't be surprised when :ymdevil: comes around with dirty tricks and lies. The good news is Jesus has overcome. See Ephesians 6:10-18, for it reminds us to put on the armor of God. I was thinking, :-? we also need the amour of God or His love which covers a multitude of sins. I heard a song that asked "are we going in to the enemy's camp and throwing our weapons down?" We need to be prepared by having good things to eat available so we are not easily pulled back into old habits of coping with quick cheap processed foods. We have learned a new way, which is satisfying and allows us to enjoy food and maintain good health too. I used to think there are no "good or bad" foods, but there really are some bad foods out there!! Malignant foods that not only have no nutritional value, but do harm to your body. Thank God we have found a better way! Life is good and God is there to help us through the difficult times. Be patient and nurture yourself, that what God wants!! Be happy :D
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thx Omalani for the inspirational message.

Speaking of pizza, I am going to use the cauliflower head in my fridge to make a cauliflower crust pizza~I think it was Linda who posted pics of this delicious- looking pizza pie! What a great sub for the fattening kind!

I just returned from a 3 day trip at a cabin on a lake, and I ate all LDL foods- plus a small amount of sugarless candy,and I was very satisfied. When I returned home tonight I looked at my tummy side view in my dressing room mirror- there are no long mirrors at my friend's cabin- and I didn't look a bit thinner! :-o I don't know what I was expecting- :)) - just looking thinner I guess. I've just been on LDL again for 12 days so I know from the first time I did it, I did lose. I didn't weigh myself for three months, but then saw that I had lost 28 pounds! I guess I was thinking that I would at least look thinner in the stomach since I was pretty good all weekend! I'm thinking, though, that my portions of LDL foods were just too big, maybe. I've never been good about portion control. 8-|

I'm not getting on the scale for at least another 2 weeks!

Anyway, I want to make some good recipes. I did make a delish chili using extra lean ground beef and ground turkey breast. It was really good and I took some extra meat- made into meatballs- to the cabin. I ate them with salsa and corn thins, along with veggies.

I do love this LDL way of eating, and I am beginning to feel much lighter in spite of not seeing it yet! :-BD

SweetRose @};-
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I was on LDL for 5 months before anyone noticed. Your body is hanging on in case of famine so cutting back is the worse you can do. Have to keep cravings at bay so keep eating until stuffed. Get some brisk walking in to get the GI tract moving and you may find that seemingly overnight you just dropped off a whole bunch of weight.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks Linda! Your posts are always encouraging and hopeful!

I love eating like this, so I will be sure to keep going!

SweetRose @};-