vickiann

Re: Salsa Verde Chicken crockpot

Post by vickiann »

I like it on spaghetti squash.
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Mary J, is that a new profile pic of you? I just want to tell you how nice you look! :)

Your recipe looks scrumptious!

SweetRose @};-
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Yes, it is. Aww thank you :) No wonder your name is Sweet Rose..
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Aw shucks....thank you MJ. :ymblushing:

SweetRose @};-
Last edited by SweetRose on July 20th, 2013, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

MUSH! MUSH! you both get to ware the Sweet Queen Crown. I think you guys are AWESOME!!
I am glad I landed on this post before I logged off. I am just going to get my slow cooker out, dust off the cob webs, grab frozen chickless breast ( means, no skin, no bones, no nutten but the white meat!)
Dump a jar of Salsa Verde in it, that I have in the fridge and, see what happens.
Oh, I might add a can of whole tomatoes. I just like "chunky" stuff. Can't get any easier than that!! I would have said "lazyier" but after all. I do have to get up and get the cooker out of the pantry and walk it in the kitchen,AND, with all that dusting, I can say "I have exercised for the day". In this heat?? AMAZING!! =))
Can't wait to try this with corn thins..Thanks MJ
Zesti
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hahahahaha Zestie! Too funny! This was the first time I have ever had salsa verde, believe it or not.. But will not be my last.. And I love Mexican food. Guess it never sounded appealing to me before. Let me know how yours turns out...

PS I DID exercise today.....patting myself on the back.... Actually I really enjoy my Pilates reformer.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I messed up on down loading the recipe from (my new favorite) site, ( thanks MJ).
I hooked up the the site Cinco De Mayo Menu too...AWESOME!!
It is TOOOOOO hot and I felt to lazy to figure it out.
Pulled out pressure cooker instead of crock pot..( less dust..haha)

3 large skinless/boneless chicken breast
1 Jar of Hernandez no oil salsa verde sauce. I used to can my own. Wow, this is so much easier. It's fast food!!
1 large can of plum tomatoes, strained. ( save juice for stuffed pepper sauce later)
Pressure cooker cooked chicken until done in sauce.
I tasted and loved it, but wanted more in it. So..
I added:
1/2 a bag of frozen corn ( this is to my liking)
1 can of red beans
and about a TABLS of cumin.
I LOVE THIS!!!
I will add a can of drained black olives next time. I would have this time, but thought of it at the end, and it was just to hot in the kitchen to use a can opener and pour in...haha..
AWESOME on top of corn thins like a taco, even adding the additional taco toppers.
I have a lot of the juice left over, so I am going to make a pot of soup from that..
GEEZ, this is ending up being the CHEAPEST meal I have ever cooked!!
DH won't eat anything with corn cooked in it, but pulled the chicken out and made his taco's. He really loved the flavor and chick was still really moist.
Now, all the chicken is gone. :(( that's why I am going to make a soup now, but also freeze some as a "sauce" for something else in the future...
Zesti..
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I want to come to your house!! ;) I love that salsa verde, I put it in my chicken/squash/ onion/ corn and black bean mix. It was great with a little cumin, SW Ms. dash, and garlic. DH said it tastes good but 1 cup filled him up. (because he was saving room for the half of watermelon and a frozen smoothie) I can hear my mother saying, "Clean your plate first before dessert!!"
I got to the Y for a swim and my suit wasn't in the bag!! When I went in the store, they had a whole rack of size 22, 24 which were my size in Oct. They had no 18's, my current size so I bought the only 20 they had on the rack. Last year they had no 22-24 sizes. Go figure, it's like the carrot they dangle in front of a donkey!! I will no longer buy clothes thar are too small!! (except at Salvation Army when they are on sale for $0.45) I have been using my pressure cooker lately so I might try this recipe. I can't remember what store I got the Hernandez salsa verde at!!
Chat later, you go GF!!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Some of the bottled Verde sauces have oil in them. I just like to add my own oil IF I want too.
I used to buy an organic jar, but I can't seem to remember athe brand name or find it in the stores around here. Time for a web shop I guess..
I used to grow tomatillo's and make my own. I could make it as hot/mild as I wanted and didn't add the oil..But, finding it in the store and it being so easy to open a jar. I couldn't resist that, that's for sure!!
I can add it to my "coupon" list for the pantry and always have it on hand..
I can't wait to try this with a lean beef round roast. That just tickles my pickle.. =))
TACO NIGHT..Bring it on!!!

I wanted to tell you: One of the cheapest purchases I have made in life, was a timer for my DH for Christmas one year. I bought it for the Christmas lights outside the house. He was always forgetting to turn off before coming to bed. It was only $3.00. I should have bought 10!
My pressure cooker has one built in, so if I leave the house, it's cool and sets itself to keep warm. But,
one of the crock pots I have is of the orginals from the 1970's. I do have newer one. That one has removable bowl, but still won't shut off automactically. So, every time I use my crockpots, I just plug it into the timer and it will auto shut off.
That way, DH can even leave the house, when I am already gone for the day. It works out great!!
I just don't want to say good-bye to that old ugly green thing yet..hmmm. Like me, she is getting older but can still be useful every once in awhile.
Zesti
Zesti
Zest