Master Member

Re: Garbanzo Joes!

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, another good recipe. I am also using less meat. :ymhug: JF
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love this receipe. And, I love reading all the ingredients and knowing they are all sitting in my pantry!
LDL ALL THE WAY!.. I even can use cabbage leaves for my rollars.
Thanks Mary!
Zesti.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I need to change my moniker to Gwennaford Garbanzo! I wonder if these will work as well with Anasazi beans? I have 46 lb. to use up. :ymsmug:
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Zesti, I like your idea of using cabbage leaves. They might make tasty vegetarian cabbage rolls too. I love garbanzo beans! I think I wll make some tomorrow. I finished off the Garbanzo salad today. So many good recipes, so little time!!
8/27
I put too much splenda in the recipe so I am going the fry some ground turkey and add to it and a little tomato paste and water. It tasted almost like baked beans to me. Anyway, I will freeze some and eat some. I am so excited about my trip to Tucson!! B-)
8/28
The turkey cut down on the sweetness and I added a little mustard and put it on corn thins and sprinkled cheese on top. I did even lust after DH's hamburger and chips.
Last edited by omalani on August 28th, 2013, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I never was a lover of Sloppy Joe's because they were always to sweet. My mom used to make them from scratch but never added the sugar. We just loved eating the chopped meat up between hamburger buns! It was always a way to use up all the left overs in the fridge!
Even when I made my own for DH I just never added sugar, only a tsp to calm down the acid taste of canned/fresh. I don't even add that anymore. I just add a little tomato paste in every tomato dish..
This is such an easy recipe to play around with that's for sure. I love it..
Keeping them all veggie will make a really good appetizer for dinner, or you can eat a few of these BEFORE you leave the house. So the hunger monster doesn't greet you at the restaurant door!! cabbage leaves are easy to freeze, not so much for lettuce. Oh, they have cabbage leaves in water in a jar. I am going to make sure I had that to my pantry list.
Zesti
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Thanks for sharing Mary. It's a wonderful receipe to play with. I had forgotten about the school lunches! Same here. That's when I discovered I didn't like Sloppy Joe's.We didn't get to buy school lunch everyday, only on "special' occasisions, so it would always be Taco Day! and they still served the same ole corn and runny refried beans...But as you say " To a sever year old. That was HEAVENLY!
Zesti