Master Member

Mexican Style Zucchini tacos

Post by omalani »

=======================================================================
Mexican-Style Zucchini Tacos

1 tablespoon EVOO or EVCO
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 pound ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped (6 to 8 Italian-plum or 2 medium- large round)
2 large fresh poblano chiles
1 cup fresh corn kernels (about one ear of corn)
4 medium zucchini cut into 1/2" cubes (about 1 1/2 pounds or 5 cups)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2/3 cup pureed white or pinto beans
Salt
1/2 cup Mexican queso fresco or other crumbly fresh cheese-like salted, pressed farmer's cheese
or feta, or FF cheese
24 fresh, warm corn tortillas or corn thins
Preparing the flavor base: Measure the oil into a large, 12" skillet set over medium-high heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until richly browned, about 8 minutes. While the
onion is cooking, coarsely puree the tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Add the garlic to
the browned onion, cook 1 minute, stirring, then add the tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low,
cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Roasting the chiles: Roast the poblanos directly over a gas flame or on a sheet 4" below a very
hot broiler, turning regularly until the skin has blistered and blackened on all sides, about 5
minutes for open flame, about 10 minutes for a broiler. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand
5 minutes. Rub off the blackened skin then pull out the stem and seed pod. Rinse briefly to
remove stray seeds and bits of skin. Slice into 1/2" strips.
Finishing the dish: Uncover the skillet and raise the heat to medium-high. Stir in the poblanos,
corn, zucchini, cilantro and the bean puree. Cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is
crisp-tender and the liquid has thickened enough to coat the vegetables nicely, about 8 minutes.
Taste and season with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon. Serve in a decorative bowl, sprinkle with
the crumbled cheese and pass the corn thins or hot tortillas separately for do-it-yourself tacos.
Serves 6 (makes about 6 cups for 24 tacos).
======================================================================================
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I plan to make it as soon as I get some corn thins. I may cut down the EVOO more or use EVCO (coconut oil) I do love zucchini! :x
SweetRose
Master Member

Re: Mexican Style Zucchini tacos

Post by SweetRose »

I have some corn tortillas and I would love to eat them, but I'm afraid that I will gain. They are thin, but still........

SweetRose @};-
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks so much Roger. I'll make a tostada - lean ground steak, refried beans, tomatoes, onions and lettuce, topped with parm cheese and salsa- and piled on a CORN THIN! O:-)

I think I'll have like 3 while I'm at it. It sounds soooo good!

SweetRose @};-
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

SweetRose, My DH made taco meat yesterday. I only have the lean ground beef in the house. I was hungry. So I piled mine so high, I could hardly get my mouth into it =))
I had to finally give in and use two hands. I didn't have refied beans like I usually do, and I must say. I missed them..I can't wait to try the mexican rice made with cauliflower to have a whole mexican meal sides and all. I did "cheat" though. I topped my taco's with FF sour cream. I did not miss Taco Bell for one second!! This is my new taco! I didn't eat again that night either. I didn't think of food..hmmm
Zesti
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Yum, Zesti!

I have some extra lean pork in green sauce that I will be be putting over Mexican cauliflower rice. That with a side of mexi-corn and a green salad (topped with a homemade dressing of low-fat mayo mixed with salsa) will be my noon meal!

SweetRose @};-
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

That sounds so yummy! I thought I would really miss and crave Mexican food.. But, I have been thinking more about what I CAN HAVE verses what I CAN'T have and the choices are endless.
We are w/o air conditioning so all I want is cold stuff!! DH went out to water the garden and found cucumbers all over the place. He didn't plant the seeds either. They must have been in the compost.
I have no problem eating them up. I use them up so fast in smoothies, I have to wait for the next batch to make pickles.
I made the Better then potato salad and ate the whole bowl! I watched Dr. Oz yesterday and will make the CIA version of it now using tofu. I am off to make that and the cauliflower rice. And, going to eat it all cold!!
Zesti
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

What state are you living in Zesti? We are having very hot weather too- in Anchorage, Alaska! I have my beautiful floor Victorian fan on in my living room, and in the office at work a small fan on my desk and another big fan on the floor. it is lovely and sunny here.....but way too hot for me! B-)

SweetRose @};-
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I live in Virginia, and it's HOT and HUMID! I am used to the dryness of California, that's where I grew up.
AND there, we had no mosquitos!
I know this heat wave is all over the country. I am blessed, at least we have the window units and my DH and I can handle it. It just feels good to complain every once in awhile, even if we can't do anything about it =)) but we are safe and that is good.
I have always wanted to go to Alaska. It's still on my bucket list. My DH spent a lot of time there during his military career. A BFF lived in Juno (sp). I had always planned to visit her, but never made it. Now, she has moved. My sister made it up there for a long visit with her though. Gotta feel good for someone even if it's someone else!!
DH and I are now planning a long cruise. For DH it is a relaxing trip this time, no work. For me..I love to just sit in the middle of the ocean and soak in how just very small we are on this planet. That never ceases to amaze me..
Zesti
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

The cruise sounds lovely! And if/when you make it to Alaska I think you'll think it's beautiful here, and I hope you have a great time!

SweetRose @};-
SweetRose7

Post by SweetRose7 »

Just an update: I've been living in England for the last 5 years- married to a wonderful man for almost 6 years now. I can't imagine living anywhere else- well, except for France, maybe. Anyway, the UK has so much to offer and I truly love this country.

SweetRose @};-
SweetRose7