SINFUL SAUSAGE!

Great filling main dish recipes!
margo
Master Member

Re: SINFUL SAUSAGE!

Post by margo »

Yummy...i'll have to try this one Roger Troy....

Another way to make a super italian flavor flavored sausage style meat is to just get some fennel seed and put those into the ground beef/ground turkey mixture that LDLers use for our burgers....cook up as normal and you will get the sensation of eating a sweet italian sausage meat.  If you add some red pepper flakes, then you can make italian style spicey sausage meat.  I love this with a whole lot of grilled or sauteed green/yellow and red peppers and onions.  I serve a nice big amount of this along side a bowl of beans and an ear of corn and a green salad....

fennel seed rules!

God Bless!

margo
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I know lots of you "elder LDLers" have made this sausage.  I just wanted to post for the newer folks...you can order this seasoning from plenty of places on the net, including Morton itself:  http://morton.elsstore.com/view/product ... 28&cid=178

or http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/mrtn-meatlf.html

or https://www.lemproducts.com/product/693/9

There are others...I just remember someone posted something about how much she paid, or had to order...I thought there might be alternatives.

BTW, when you do a Google search for the seasoning, this board comes up midway down the second page...not bad!
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Thanks to this post, I've finally found a place that will ship the Morton's sausage seasoning to me without charging 2 arms and 2 legs to ship it! AND, I can order only 1 instead of a case!  :thumbsup: ;D

Now, I can't wait for it to get here so I can make this sausage!!
Shari

vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Would you mind sharing where you're getting it from?  I've not been able to find in my area and wasn't willing to pay a large amount. Thanks!

Vicki
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Vicki, I ordered it from the third link that greenheron put in their post above. It's from LEM Products. https://www.lemproducts.com/product/693/9  It cost more to ship than the cost of 1 bottle. But, it's not a huge amount. Still less than $10. total.  :D
Shari

katjack
New, but learning

Post by katjack »

I just entered my info on the LEM site and the shipping is more than the product!!! :ymsigh:
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Katjack, I thin someone posed a list of ingredients and measure to replicate Morton's seasoning.
Also I posted a website that had lots of seasoning recipes for make yourself sausage.
My post was back in 2009 so not sure where it got buried :)
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Katjack,
Seeing LINDARN comment I went to search engine and just put in Morton's Sausage Seasoning and came up with this thread...Thanks for posting the question...I know I did this before and couln't find anything so I ordered it. I haven't tried this yet, but I sure I will soon.. I will just copy and past the whole thread...Zesti

Hi Y'all - There was I thread a short while back on Morton's Seasoning where I had whined about the high shipping cost from the company. Someone, I believe it was LindaRN, had posted two recipe variations to use to season sausage at home. I hope this gets copied over alright from my MS Word copy I made at the time........

Quote:

OK, Looking at 2 recipes wondering if you could use same amounts I found in this recipe on the internet www.lets-make-sausage.com

4 teaspoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground or rubbed sage
2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground dry thyme
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Since ingredients are list in the order of their quantity, it appears there is less coriander than Red Pepper as Gwen listed the Morton's Ingredients below:
Salt, Sage, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Coriander

Sooooo, if someone wanted to try to mimic Morton's you could try this:
4 tsp Kosher or Himalayan Salt
4 tsp ground or rubbed sage
2 tsp fine ground black pepper
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 or 2 tsp Coriander
Quote:

These quantities were to meant to season 4 pounds of ground meat...Anyway- long story short, I cut the amounts in half to make 2 pounds of sausage with 1 lb. ground sirloin and 1 lbs of white ground turkey (together) from the market. I was very pleased with the flavoring for the 3-inch patties made with the first recipe above (I also didn't have coriander on hand.) As I said, the flavor of the patties, which I froze individually, is great. I hadn't known before that it is sage that gives sausage the warm, smokey taste. The one drawback I found was the patties came out to be rather dry - after cooking them to at least 180 Degrees F with a meat thermometer. I assumed I should cook them that high because of the ground turkey (poultry.)

I would definitely recommend that recipe for anyone wanting to make their own sausage at home. But I would like to hear any suggestions to make them pan-fry up a little more moist. Any thoughts?

BTW, I also order my Corn Thins from amazon.com @ 12 pkgs. and no shipping fee. I agree it is real convenient to have them in the house as a staple item. I secure the open plastic bag with a spring-closing clothes pin (an old trick DH taught me many moons ago ) and just discard the little white plastic tab closure that comes with each plastic sleeve/package.

southernyankee

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Zesti. Knew this was in there somewhere. Just too tired to search.
They got me some help at work though. But help is temporary until the "shutdown" is over.
Then the process of a new hire! But hopefully I can get some better rest and be on the boards more.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I hope so too! You are missed when you are away.
Zesti