Cajun Red Beans and Rice

Great filling main dish recipes!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Cajun Red Beans and Rice

Post by Gwennaford »

Cajun Red Beans and Rice

1 pound Turkey Andouille Sausage http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=4687.0
2 quarts Water
1 (16-oz.) pkg. Small Red Beans (sorted, soaked & drained)
1 (8-oz.) can Tomato Sauce
1 sm. Onion, diced
¼ cup dried parsley flakes
2 Tbsp. Emeril’s ESSENCE http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=4610.0
Salt, Cayenne Pepper, and bottled Hot Sauce (to taste)
½ cup Wild Rice, Dark Mahogany, or Black Japonica Rice.
Water for cooking rice

Combine all ingredients except sausage and rice in a large pot.  Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.  Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until beans are tender.  Meanwhile, prepare Andouille Sausage according to recipe.  Add sausage patties to beans, stirring gently to avoid breaking up and continue simmering 30 minutes.  Taste for seasoning, adding salt and cayenne as desired.  Cook rice according to package directions.  To each bowl of beans, add a spoonful of cooked rice on top. 

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Cajun Red Beans and Rice

Post by electricj1316 »

Hey, my name is Tina and I am new here. I have been reading that rice is bad but is that only white rice? Is brown rice ok?
Thanks for your help!
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi again, Tina!  White or tan rice masquerading as brown is not LDL acceptable.  Please note the kind of rice mentioned in the recipe, and the tiny quantity used compared to the amount of beans!  This rice still has most of its original husk, or whatever the outside coating is called.  It hasn't been polished off.

Roger found that having been at his ideal weight for years, he could eat this kind of rice with his meal and it didn't affect his weight.  However, many Lunchers experienced weight gain or at least stalled loss by eating it.  It has been downgraded to an occasional once-in-a-while food.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Gwen!! I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. I hope I am not driving everyone crazy!! :)
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie