LITTLE MARY'S BEEF POTATO PIE (A MUST!)

Great filling main dish recipes!
Queenie
Administrator

Re: LITTLE MARY'S BEEF POTATO PIE (A MUST!)

Post by Queenie »

I am bringing this to the top of the posts because I want to (again!) commend Little Mary for an EXCELLENT recipe!!

Mary - I made this yesterday for our lunch and it was FANTASTIC!  (should one even be surprised that Mary's recipes are delicious???)  When I served it, I commented to John, "Wow, these really do taste like mashed potatoes on the top, don't they?"  His reply was, "Well, aren't they?"  He was SHOCKED to find out that they were butter beans.  I will tell you that I drained the butter beans because they seemed to have quite a bit of liquid in them.  When I pulled them out of the microwave and tried to mash them, however, they were too thick... so you know what I did?  I added some Skim Milk to them and went to town with my hand held blender.  Whipped them up just like mashed potatoes!

Again, Mary, thank you for your dedication to this board and for your wonderful recipes!  I can't imagine what I must've done "right" to bring you, Roger and this board into my life.

Carolyn
Last edited by Guest on June 9th, 2009, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

Great idea, Queenie, thank you!  (and thank you Mary for your great recipes!)  I'm going to make this after church!

Keep on losing,
Sarah
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

We finally got around to preparing this dish yesterday.  It surprisingly tasted just like the traditional Shepherd's Pie (or perhaps it was a Cottage Pie as it was made with beef instead of lamb) I had when I visited Ireland last summer.  It is hard to believe that this is diet food.  Delicious!

Andrew
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Isn't it just awesome?  The first week or so that I was on LDL, I made this dish two or three times!  Yum!

Carolyn

zNekita

Post by zNekita »

I made this recipe yesterday and couldn't believe how it tasted like the shepherd's pie I made before LDL. I can't wait to try more recipes! Thanks for this one.

Love, Laughter, and Friendship,

Sue B
But don't cry for me
'Cause I'm finally free
To run with the angels
On streets made of gold
To listen to stories of saints new and old
To worship our Maker
That's where I'll be
When you finally find me
                   Wish You Were Here - Mark Harris
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

My wife made this one today.  WOW!!! I have a new favorite recipe. 

I'll tell you, the topping on this tasted almost like real mashed potatoes.  The consistency certainly was like mashed potatoes. 

My wife used I can't Believe It's Not Butter Lite instead of Shedd's.  Think that's OK?  This recipe made two baking dishes and I ate almost all of one.  My kids ate the rest of it.  So, tomorrow we'll have the other one. 

I had tried these mashed cauliflower fauxtatoes before but they don't even hold a candle to the butter bean "potatoes".
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

We also love the "betatoes".  You really have to KNOW what they are made of to know the difference as we feel the taste is great.  The "color" difference is the only thing we saw.  I used Smart Balance and more garlic.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
sahara
New, but learning

Post by sahara »

I finally got around to making this and I love it.  I did add extra garlic because I love added garlic.  I have enough left-overs for a few days too.  I have done this diet for a few months now and am totally loving the freedom of choice in the many meal options. 
sahara :)[color=purple]
[/color]
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi all,
      I used this recipe to make turkey pie. I used turkey broth that I made from the bones.It turned out great. I have extra broth and turkey frozen for another time.
                              judie
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Great idea, Judie!  I'll bet it was just WONDERFUL!

Carolyn

snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi all,
    I am making Marys beef pie tonite and instead of the butter bean botatoes I am putting cooked and mashed parsnips over the top and putting in the oven to brown.  Yummy
                  Judie
LRittle
New, but learning

Post by LRittle »

Hi,  Can you please tell me where in the world is the recipe (complete) for Mary's Beef Potato Pie? I can read all the comments, but cannot find the actual recipe. Thanks! Linda
"Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!"
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Linda,

Above these postings, about mid-way on the page, there are "Page Numbers".  If you will click, on page one, and go to the very bottom, Roger has pulled up the recipe there for you.  If you still have problems, please let us know.  Hope this helps.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!