Pinto and white beans

Great filling main dish recipes!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Pinto and white beans

Post by Joyful Friend »

Everyone probably have favorite ways to cook beans.  I've always seasoned mine with bacon, ham or ham hocks.  I then started using olive oil.  Now I use no fats and they are delicious.  Wash and Soak two lbs of pintos .  Put in crock pot cover with hot water-
ADD 8 cubes of chicken bullion  Cook on low until done.  They are wonderful  No fat at all.  My hubby had corn bread of course.  I made Cole slaw with a carrot. I used a little ff buttermilk, 1/2T of light Hellmans, 1T of Splendor  Sooo good.
vickiann

Re: Pinto and white beans

Post by vickiann »

For someone not used to cooking dried beans, how much water should I use?  Thanks!

Vicki
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Vicki,  After you have washed them well, You need to cover the beans with water and then add about 5 cups more because the beans will swell.  Let them soak all night or all day.  After they have soaked and swelled, I rinse them again.  Put them in the crockpot, cover with water and add at least three cups more of water.  Add  the 4 chicken bullion  cubes for 1lb or 8 for 2lbs.  I cook a lot and freeze a couple servings.  If you don't have a crockpot, you can use a pressure cooker(follow pressure cooker's directions)  You can use a regular stock pot.  Bring to a roaring boil, and then turn down the heat for about 3 hours of simmering.  With the bullion cubes, you need no other seasoning.    I've always cooked beans, but didn't eat many because I thought they were too fattening. How wrong I've been!!! My husbands's favorite meal include beans, fried potatoes, salmon patties, and cornbread, plus Cole slaw or relish.  You can tell we're country.  Please ask me questions if you need more help.  Cooking  dry beans  is so inexpensive.  Thanks, Joyful Friend
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Thank you so very much for the quick response!  I look forward to trying this soon!

Vicki
Gene

Post by Gene »

Dear joyful friend,

That used to be one of my best meals too.

ICL

Gene
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

Very helpful!! Thank you!  :rose:
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Hi, Joyful

One of our Family Favorite Menus is White Beans, Fried Potatoes, Salmon Patties, Hot Biscuits.  We Southerners know what's good.  :D  At least I can have the beans and salmon patties!!

Alisa
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Alisa, and to think I never ate beans because I had the idea they would make me fat.  We are having  a beautiful Fall.  Our eyes are being treated to all the different colors.  My yard tomatoes are producing a lot of green ones.  Yesterday, I fixed LDL fried green tomatoes.  Sooo good.  Frost will be nipping them soon.  JF