Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Great filling main dish recipes!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Post by CodingQueen »

This recipe can be made with shredded chicken, steak, pork or a combination.

Ingredients:
6 medium poblano peppers
2-2 1/2 cups shredded cooked meat (depending on the size of your peppers)
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder, optional if you like it spicy
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (about 1/2 bunch)
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes (about 2 small tomatoes), or 1 can of Rotel Tomatoes with Lime and Cilantro (if using, leave out chopped cilantro)
2/3 cup chopped scallions (about 1/2 bunch)
1-3 teaspoons salt (depends on individual taste, some people like things saltier than others)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 cups low fat or fat free Monteray Jack, Pepper Jack or other Mexican cheese (a LDL occasional item)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

To prepare peppers for stuffing, use a paring knife to cut a wide circle around each stem (like when carving a jack-o’-lantern), so you end up with a cap that can be replaced once you’ve stuffed the peppers. Be careful not to puncture or rip the peppers. Clean any seeds and membranes from the cap and from the interior of each pepper; set aside.

Place beans in a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, lightly mash them (some whole beans will remain).

Stir meat, corn, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, tomatoes, scallions, salt and pepper into mashed beans and mix until evenly combined.

Divide mixture into 6 equal portions. Stuff each pepper with the filling and replace each cap, pressing caps into the stuffing so the peppers remain closed. Set aside until ready to cook. If you’re stuffing the peppers more than 30 minutes before cooking, cover and refrigerate them. Let peppers sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes before baking so that they cook evenly.

Lay the peppers in an 8 by 11-inch baking dish sprayed with nostick cooking spray, alternating the directions of the peppers so that they all fit. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes (Note: If you want the skins to be blackened, you can turn your oven on broil for the last 5 minutes)

Remove poblano peppers from the oven and cover with the shredded cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish.
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 7th, 2009, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t-rock
Master Member

Re: Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Post by t-rock »

CQ:

This one sounds like a keeper. I am heading to farmers market right now and I am going to hunt down some poblanos for this recipe.  Thanks!
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

This sounds wonderful,  must try this real soon.  There is just so many recipes I want to try...I just made the Brando's Lasagna yesterday...It was OK yesterday but today it was sooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooood.  Some foods are better after a couple of days, the Lasagna, and Suzie's black bean soup is some of them.  I loved them after the first day.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Does anyone have the recipe for Brando's Lasagna or at least a link?  Saw it mentioned on the 700 Club video and it looks yummy.

Vicki
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

vickiann, if you have the red book, the recipe is on page 146.

I don't know if it is on the forum or not......I looked.....but
can't find it.

Kathy
bludaffodil
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

I have the old book. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to post it here?  :)
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

BRANDO'S LASAGNA

1/4 lb ground sirloin or lean beef
1/4 lb ground skinless turkey breast
1/2 c chopped onion
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 5.5 oz can picante tomato juice (v8)
1 10 1/4 oz can condensed tomato soup
1 12 oz low fat cottage cheese
2 Tbs parmesan cheese
1/2 c egg substitute
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp white pepper
5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
pam olive oil spray
1 12 oz fat free grated mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Cook the beef, turkey, and onion until tender.  Add the tomato paste, tomato juice, and tomato soup to the mixture.  Combine the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, egg substitute, parsley, basil and white pepper, and mix lightly.  Set aside.  Place one half of the sliced zucchini in a layer in a  13 x 9 x 2 pan that has been sprayed with pam.  Follow with half of the cottage cheese mixutre, half the mozzarella cheese, and half of the tomato/meat mixture.  Continue with another layer beginning with sliced zucchini and ending with the meat sauce. 
Bake 350 degrees for 40 to 45 min.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I made these for supper tonight using hamburger, they were VERY GOOD!  Hubby and I both really enjoyed them!

May J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

I love anything with poblano peppers. What I can't wait for is RT to give the thumbs up for potatoes. My aunt gave me an awesome recipe for stuffed poblano peppers with potatoes.

CQ
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

CQ, thank you for sharing.  This looks like an awesome recipe.  My DH and my favorite food (well one of them) is anything with poblano peppers.  I use the strips of poblano with FF cheese on burgers, with egg wraps, salads and LDL pizza using.  I haven't had much time lately but I am anxious to try your recipe.  I grew poblanos last year and I can't put into words how much better they were than store bought.  This year I need to grow more.  :thumbsup:
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

CQ,

This was the first time I have ever eaten poblano peppers!  But, won't be my last :). We have some left over that we will eat tonight!  Can't wait!

Will keep an eye out for your new recipe!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09