1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, drained  
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained  
1 onion, cut into 8 wedges  
1 tablespoon chili powder  
1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) eye of round roast, trimmed  
2 tablespoons olive oil  
2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained  
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained  
Pickled jalapeño pepper slices (optional)  

directions
Combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.

Sprinkle roast evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to a 5 1/2-quart slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

Remove roast from slow cooker, and cut into large chunks; keep warm.

Skim fat from juices in slow cooker. Mash 1 1/2 cans (about 2 3/4 cups) pinto beans; add to slow cooker, and stir until combined. Stir in black beans and remaining 1/2 can pinto beans. Add roast pieces back to slow cooker; cover and cook on HIGH an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Top each serving with jalapeño pepper slices, if desired.
Last edited by Mary J on June 5th, 2010, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
VickiLynn
Master Member

Re: Cowboy Pot Roast

Post by VickiLynn »

Mary J,

Love this recipe but I don't have a crockpot -- mine bit the dust and I haven't bought a new one yet. I am going to bake it in the oven in a small roaster.  I have a crockpot cookkbook that gives conversion time and temperatures for oven baking.  Will let you know if it worked out okay.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Great Vickilynn,, can't wait to hear how it turns out... It sure is right up LDL's alley with the beans though, LOL... Hope its delish!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Mary J,

Made your recipe for lunch yesterday and it was delicious.  It was more of a hearty beef chili than what I consider a "pot roast".  I thought you would like to hear what I did because I don't have a crockpot.

Because the 2 lb. beef roast I bought was extremely lean I marinated it in salt water -- 4 cups of water to 1/4 cup of salt (Leisuregranny's suggestion) for about 12 hours the day before I wanted to cook it.  I poured off the salt water and put it back into the refrig in a covered dish.  

The next morning, I seasoned the roast with pepper (no salt because of soaking it in salt) and browned it well in a dutch oven.  I then added the tomatoes, onions, chili powder, and a little bit of water because it was so thick I thought it might burn without a little more liquid.  I brought it to a boil, covered the pan, and turned down the heat to a simmer.  The meat simmered for about 4-1/2 hours (had to add a little more water).

I took the meat out of the pan and shredded it into medium pieces.  I added all of the beans to the pot without mashing any of them (I rinsed the black beans but not the pintos).  I put the meat back into the pan, covered, and simmered it for another 30 minutes.  

My husband kept raving through our entire meal how good it was!!  That has always been the "test of time" as to whether or not I make a recipe again -- yours made the "make again" list!!
Last edited by VickiLynn on March 20th, 2010, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Vickilynn,

Your reply came at just the right time... I am sitting here making out my grocery list.... I will add the ingredients for this roast to my list... So glad you liked it!  And especially your hubby.. I know how hard new recipes can be to please them sometimes, LOL  At least mine anyway...  Sounds like you did a great job without a crockpot! 

I am also getting ingredients to make the Edamame Stew that I posted the other day... So, I will have 2 new ones to try this week...

Have you tried the "asparagus fries",,, ohhh they are soooo good! Oh and Mary's mashed potatoes w/spinach and roasted garlic?  I am having those again tonight with my meatloaf.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hi Vickilynn,

I made the Cowboy Pot Roast Thurs and it was delish!  We are having left overs tonight!  I was really surprised how good it was..... very tender... I used Syvia's brine recipe and the eye of round roast was extremely tender and moist...
This will be a make again dish....

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

This is Sunday's meal.  I have all ingredients.  I have our own frozen  meat, and my pantry looks like a storeroom for beans and tomatoes.  :thumbsup: Thanks, JF
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

Yummo....this is going to be our Sunday meal!!! I know this will be a winner with my DH....his motto is, "BEEF, BEANS & TATERS"....But I've got a feeling he's not going to miss the taters. :)

Blessings!
Beth
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

I had this for lunch today. Delicious. I made a couple of changes in the recipe. Change #1...I'm lazy so I stirred in a can of refried beans instead of mashing the pintos. Change #2....I don't like really hot foods and I know from experience that the tomatoes with the green chilies in them are too hot for me so I used regular diced tomatoes and used a can of diced green chillies that I thoroughly rinsed before adding to the pot. This made it just the taste and hotness for me.

Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I buy the Tomato and Green Chiles MILD Rotel brand. Then if it is too hot, I add can of plain diced tomatoes.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
K Wood

Post by K Wood »

Absolutely WONDERFUL! Will be making this again and again! My eight year old ate this up and asked for more.  :D
It freezes really well too. Next time I plan on doubling up so I can have some extra ready in the freezer!
sgarvey
New, but learning

Post by sgarvey »

Thanks for sharing this Mary J.  I'm trying to find all  the recipes that were mentions on the "favorite three" thread. This will be a hit with the family.  The will insist on fresh tortillas and fried potatoes.  thakfully I do not crave those things anymore.  Off to fine more favorites.  I'm also trying to figure out what WOE means :)
Suzy
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Way of Eating.  We call it this as we do not consider this WOE a "diet."