Master Member

Pan Grilled Mahi with Tropical Fruit Salsa

Post by Gwennaford »

Pan Grilled Mahi and Tropical Fruit Salsa
Balsamic Bitter Greens Salad w/Grape Tomatoes
-- Serves 4

Grilled Fish and Tropical Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 lb. Snapper, Mahi, Tilapia or Basa fillets.  If using frozen, thaw packages under cold running water while preparing fruit.
  • 2 lbs. (about 4 cups) Tropical Fruit Salad (any combination of Pineapple, Strawberries, Kiwi, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Mango, Grapes, etc.)
  • 1/2 pint Grape Tomatoes
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 fresh or canned Jalapeño, diced (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Seasoned Pepper Blend (or your favorite salt-free grill seasoning)
  • Cooking spray

Prep:
  • Cut fruit into 1/2-inch dice; Cut tomatoes into halves or quarters
  • Chop Cilantro; Check fish for bones

Steps:
  • Combine fruit, tomatoes, cilantro, and balsamic vinegar for salsa.
  • Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes.  Season both sides of fish with seasoned pepper, wash hands. Remove pan from heat; coat with cooking spray. Place fish in hot pat, return to heat and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish is opaque and separates easily.  Serve with 1/4 of the salsa

Balsamic Bitter Greens Salad w/Grape Tomatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, finely minced or put through garlic press
  • 2 Tbsp. EVOO
  • 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 8-10 oz. bag Romaine Salad Blend
  • 1/2 of 8 oz. bag Arugula or Watercress
  • 1/2 pint Grape Tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup diced Red Onions
  • 1 Avocado (optional)

Steps:
  • Combine garlic, oil, vinegar; add salt & pepper to taste; whisk until well blended
  • Combine salad blend, arugula, tomatoes and onions. If using, cut avocado into bite-size pieces. Add to salad, pour over dressing, toss to blend.  Serve.
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
kwilliams
New, but learning

Re: Pan Grilled Mahi with Tropical Fruit Salsa

Post by kwilliams »

Sounds wonderful.  I will try this soon.
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about...
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

OH..that sounds like a Publix recipe I just made recently.. works great for LDL!
Hugs.. Kathie in Fl.
[
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Kathie wrote:OH..that sounds like a Publix recipe I just made recently.. works great for LDL!
Hugs.. Kathie in Fl.

That's where I found it!  I changed it to add a LOT more fruit salsa and used the watermelon, canteloupe, grape, strawberry fruit salad I had already made at home, just adding a few canned pineapple chunks, a chopped jalapeño and cilantro.  Added arugula and omitted avocado from the salad.  That reminds me, I added a jalapeño to the recipe, below.  

I try not to buy Publix already cut up fruit if I can avoid it, but sometimes when I get very hungry during shopping I will run to the cooler and grab some cut up fruit and a boiled egg from the cooler and have a quick lunch so that my hunger won't make me overbuy and subsequently overeat when I get home.

Hope to see you at my house in Florida for Lunch with the Lunchers in July.  I'm going to make this salsa to have with the grilled seafood Little Mary is bringing.  YUM!
Last edited by Gwennaford on April 29th, 2010, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Kathie

Post by Kathie »

Gwennaford.. you will have to send me your addy to see if I can find your place.  I think it is North of me?  I am in Ft.Myers/Punta Gorda Boarder on 41.
Today I had to make a fahita and corn recipe.  I am sure you can change it to be LDL friendly.  After cooking all day I have been enjoying my fruit or something simple for my supper meals and I am learning to know if my night eating is a habit or I am really hungry.. So far.. my night eating is because it is a very bad habit.  I use to cut that fruit at work that you are talking about before working in APRONS Kiosk.
I hope to make it to the Keys in 2011. Have never been there before.  It would be awesome to be at my ideal weight and meet you all down there.
You probably know this but if you go to www. publix.com and look for Aprons, all of our recipes are there. You can do a search there too.
Anyway.. wish me luck in this race.. so far so good.  I am feeling so much better this week and have found that my one leg that has been giving me problems with my vericose veins, is even feeling better. Life is good on LDL!
Hugs.. Kathie in Fl.
[