Chicken & Bean Enchilada

Great filling main dish recipes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Chicken & Bean Enchilada

Post by LINDA RN »

Our Brother-in-law once turned up his nose at Okra, especially boiled okra. Found out he also hates yogurt. So we would regularly gross him out by claiming we brought him some frozen okra yogurt (like ice cream) for desert!

Okra yogurt, not LDL legal, suppose it would blenderize with frozen bananas instead of yogurt???
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hi Wendy,

Have a question for you.... I am only able to find 10 oz cans of the enchilada sauce,,, wondered if the 19 oz you posted was a typo, or do I need to use 2 cans? 

Thanks,
Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Thanks for catching that, it is a 10 oz can of sauce.  Hope you enjoy these, we loved them.
sgarvey
New, but learning

Post by sgarvey »

Made the beef enchiladas tonight. I completely love this recipe substituting 1/2 lb ground turkey/1/2 lb Lean ground beef. I also used chopped poblano and red pepper and used the recipe for enc sauce.

It is oh so good!!! But does not compare to what we grew up on which also included homemade tortillas, fried potatoes and Mexican rice.  DO I Dare take it to a Mexican family reunion? It's next weekend? The family has deep Mexican roots.
Sgarvey
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Many members have found that when they take LDL dishes to gatherings, if they don't get to the head of the line, there will be none left for them! The LDL food disappears and many ask for the recipoes. I would bet there may be many there who wish they could loose weight and still enjoy the foods they grew up on. Taco soup is really great also.

Sauteed Potatoes in EVOO would probably be acceptable for you occassionally. Using the truely wild or whole grain rice would not taste the same as the soft white rice you were used to. The tortillas are a no-no though, and no substitutes are available. There just is no flour available that does not mess with your blood sugar and cause weight gain. Corn thins can be substituted like chips or crackers though.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

sgarvey
New, but learning

Post by sgarvey »

Thanks Linda. I will take it and depending on the weather I might take the taco soup too.  Are corn tortillas acceptable at all?  I'm guessing not.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You are right, corn tortillas are made from processed corn and wheat flour.
Best to stay off of them for 6 months or so.
You can decide after you try them again if it is really worth it.
Being off the processed food for about 6 months or so will change how that stuff really tastes.
Linda

LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

If you are doing Mexican, "Tex-Mex" where I live, Cornthins work great for Tostadas too...with bean dip, lettuce, tomatoes, a bit of cheese and black olives (occasionally).

Blessings,
Julie