1 large egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated OR 1 Tablespoon prepared ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon soy sauce OR tamari
4-6 corn thins, crushed
lemon wedges, optional
Oil for cooking*

Directions:

Combine everything and form mix into patties, pressing together firmly. Cover and place in the fridge for about an hour before cooking.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat (if using coconut oil, you only need enough to cover the bottom). Cook each side until it is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes each side.

Drain on paper towels, squeeze some lemon over, and enjoy.

*These can also be baked in the oven set at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.
Last edited by CodingQueen on November 8th, 2011, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth B.

Re: Salmon and Corn Cakes

Post by Beth B. »

These sound wonderful!  Salmon patties have always been my family's emergency meal (I always have the ingredients on hand), but I always made them with crackers or oatmeal so I haven't been eating them.  I am going to try your recipe.  Thanks for sharing!

Beth
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

CQ,

I made these today for lunch!  Loved 'em!  BUT,,, they totally fell apart.. Wonder if I should add an extra egg white?  Or is there a secret to keeping them intact?  I did pan fry them in a little coconut oil.  And they were put in the fridge for an hr first..  Does making them in the oven work better, you think?

Also, can you sub the salmon for crab in this recipe?

Mary J
Last edited by Mary J on June 4th, 2010, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

You have to be very careful when you flip them. I use two spatulas and make sure your skillet is big enough where you can get to them and not touch the others while flipping. Try them in the oven to see if it works better for you...you may have had too much moisture. I drain my salmon in a colander and let sit for few moments to make sure all the water is drained. Crab would probably work, too.

CQ
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Thanks CQ, I think I will try the oven next...

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

My son likes to make this recipe in to four burgers and serve them topped with a little Asian slaw and/or other condiment(s) and wrapped in lettuce leaves.

CQ
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

CQ,

The asian slaw sounds good.  Is there an LDL friendly recipe for this?  I put it in the seach box, but nothing came up...

Also, wanted to add.... I had my hubby (who HATES salmon) try these cakes,,, not telling him what was in them before hand.. He really liked them, he ate two of them.  At first I just said they were fish and corn cakes, LOL... then after he enjoyed them, I told him it was SALMON.  He was surprised!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

I'll have to ask my son when he gets home tonight. I know he doesn't use peanut butter which is usually found in most Asian cole slaw recipes.

And your right about how good they are...my youngest son doesn't like any kind of fish but he likes these.

CQ
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Mary J,

I posted his recipe under "Side Dishes."

CQ
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Thanks CQ!  I will go check it out!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I made these again recently,,, added an extra egg white and baked them in the oven... They turned out great, and didn't fall apart!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I was in the mood for salmon for lunch today but I was pressed for time due to my work schedule. I had seen a recipe for crab cakes that were baked in a six-cup muffin tin and decided to try it. I threw everything together and and baked them in a 450 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. My sons liked them better this way because they weren't as greasy tasting. I think I'll try my crab cake recipes that I posted next to see how they turn out.

CQ
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Welcome back, CQ.  Way too long!!!  :thumbsup: *hug*  JF
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Hi Joyful Friend,

I'm glad to be back. I have really missed everyone.

I'm sorry to say that I got frustrated on LDL because I wasn't losing any weight because I had stalled for so long and, like so many others, I tried another diet that did work for me but I had major heartburn from it and it just wasn't worth it. That's when I decided to try LDL again. So far, so good. I'm finally losing for the first time in months.

CQ
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

How nice to see you posting again.  Just the other day I posted about how much I miss your advice on so many topics.  I look forward to reading your posts.

I have never made this recipe because like your husband I don't like salmon in any form.  But, I think I'll substitute the salmon with canned crab, add more egg whites and bake the cakes as Mary J suggests.

Suggestion for newbies -- look at some of the older recipes on the boards.  A lot of them become our favorites.