1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1/2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chicken stock or water
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Heat the oil in a large saute pan or a wide pot over medium high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, place them in the pan, and cook them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until they brown thoroughly. Add the zucchini and continue cooking, stirring occasionally.

When the zucchini pieces have browned lightly, add the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, cayenne, cumin, and cinnamon. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Moroccan Stewed Chicken

Post by Joyful Friend »

I also love Mexican taste. Thanks, JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Moroccan Stewed Chicken

Post by LINDA RN »

OK so today is use up leftovers and clean out frig.
Hubby saw a show on the benefits of Cumin and wanted me to fix something with cumin in it.
Off to the new LDL Boards and did a search for curried chicken.
Sadly :( I did not have most of those spices, so I searched for Cumin and chicken (have a whole rotisserie chicken from Wal-Mart in the freezer)
I came upon this one!
Woah Perfect!

So here is what I did to adapt:
Heated the whole chicken in a large pot to liquefy juices and defrost meat.
Remove chicken to debone
Since the original recipe was for 1 lb bones chicken and I had 3lbs of chicken with bones, I decided to double the rest of ingredients.
Cubed 4 small zucchini and 1 small yellow squash and sautéed in chicken drippings. (really needed 6-7 small zucchini)
I also diced half a purple onion and a couple stalks of not-so-fresh celery leftover from Christmas. (I like the flavor of celery in soups)
Then I also added half a left-over yellow bell pepper (diced) and a diced seeded jalepeno.
After stirring squash mixture until beginning to brown, I added a 28 oz can diced tomatoes and water.
If you want a stronger tomato taste add a medium or another large can of tomatoes.
Stir in 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp cinnamon and (since I don't like stuff too hot) 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
Dice up the rest of the chicken meat and add 2 or more cans chick peas (drained).
Oh, my, this is sooo good. Even though the dark meat is not LDL approved, it is still a less expensive way to deal with leftover rotisserie chicken and can be fixed in about an hour. (Less if the chicken is not frozen, LOL)

Enjoy!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...