2nd month weigh in

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Re: 2nd month weigh in

Post by Ginny M. »

JerrieH,

Congrats on the weight loss!  :D  :rose:  Hang in there, it will come off. 

You might be surprised what is added to foods at restaurants:  sugar, salt, msg, cream, butter.  You may not think it's there, but unless it's steamed or grilled (they may even use fat on the grill), it could be.  I know it's not always possible to NOT eat at restaurants, but the less you do, the better.    My DH likes to eat out quite often.  We are temporarily in Wauchula, FL, and the best restaurant here serves a really good breakfast with plenty of food for reasonable prices.  This morning my DH went to breakfast alone because I know if I go I will be tempted to get hash brown potatoes ( *love* ) and sausage gravy (  *love* ) (I can leave the bisquit) and I am really trying to get "back-on-track".  I had fruit and tea and did not miss the potatoes and gravy since it was not "in my face".  I have "will" power, what I need is "won't" power.  Anyway, do your best when you "have" to go out.  Request grilled, no fat.  Steamed veggies instead of potatoes. Blot any greese with napkins.  Salad dressing on the side.  Etc.  I have never had a restaurant Not comply with my requests.

Keep up the good work.  :D

*hug*
Ginny
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Wendy for the tip.  Maybe I haven't been eating enough for lunch.  Tomorrow I will try having a bigger lunch and see if it helps me to not be as hungry in the evening.  Jerrie :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Ginny for the tips.  The restaurant you described sounded kinda like Cracker Barrell, which is where my DH and I went for dinner tonight.  I had been getting the veggie plate there, but wanted to get the rainbow trout instead.  It was really good.  I also got turnip greens, salad with dressing on side, and corn.  I, too, left the biscuits for him husband.  As much as I like their biscuits, I haven't had difficulty in passing the biscuits up since I started LDL.  The broiled fish was a large serving, but it seemed I was hungry not long afterwards, but when I had gotten the beans with the veggie plate in the past, I was not as hungry later (don't know why, because its not really a very large portion of beans.  Thanks again for your good tips.  Jerrie :)
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

CONGRATS Jerrie.
              Charlotte
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thank you Charlotte.  Jerrie :)
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Jerrie,

The same thing happened to me when I first started LDL. I lost 11 pounds my first month but only to be let down the second. But, I stayed with it and it's paid off. The one thing that I found that Wendy mentioned is you have to eat until full...really full. For some reason eating more at lunch means losing more...that's fine with me. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of us are still hung up on counting calories, etc. Forget that garbage...just eat all the LDL foods when hungry.

*hug*
CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 28th, 2011, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have only been able to bring enough food for lunch to where I am literally full a couple of times. Usually lunch is on the fly or interrupted. Know that is why I seem to be hungry all day. Did fine when I was off those 2 weeks. Oh well, as long as I continue to loose even slowly I love it!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks CQ and Linda.  I guess I need to try having a larger lunch to keep from getting hungry in the evening and to hopefully speed up weight loss.  Jerrie :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Summer is coming on.
When they are affordable, try eating half a watermelon for supper.
Very filling and will definitely flush things out.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Half? :laughing: I can eat a whole one.

CQ
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

At our LDL class, one LDL said, "It's nothing for me in the summer  to eat 1/2 of a large watermelon for my evening snack."  People do want to count calories.  I think the big difference for Country Girl and me in weight loss was the fact that I eat most of my meat protein meals at 1-4.  She does her big meal of the evening.  You are so right Ginny about the restaurants.  A friend told me the grilled chicken at Bob Evans had been plumped up with a  fattening mixture. I usually ask for grilled veggies.  After roasting my own peppers, squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, it is hard to eat the veggies out.  At the Texas Roadhouse, they roast theirs.  I'm thankful, that I enjoy cooking.  My son asked me just yesterday if I had a pot of navy beans cooked so he could eat some between his work hrs.  I came home, washed a couple bags, put in pressure cooker with carrots, onion, and celery, salt, pepper, and in 35 minutes, they were ready.  He and my DH had a good time with eating.  I also had roasted pork and sourerkraut.  :thumbsup:  JF 
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks for the tip Linda.  I will try that.  When do watermelons start getting "reasonable"?  Do you stay full throughout the night after having 1/2 a watermelon, or do you get hungry shortly thereafter, since they are mostly water?  Jerrie :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks for the tips JF and your recipes sound really good.  Jerrie :)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I just have to stay close to bathroom after that much melon. :laughing:    If you do get hungry, eat something else afterwards.  No need to be hungry.  I ate so much melon last summer that I needed a break, but I'll be ready soon to eat my fill.  *hug*  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

At first the watermelon filled me up completely, then I eventually ate nearly a whole one (ate part of my DH's half also)  :laughing:
Sometimes I ate popcorn, but really was not hungry. When I say half, that was half of a full sized seedless watermelon.
I even ate half of a seeded one too. Took a couple hours to do it but it satisfied the snacking urge.
Melons are in full season anytime after June and may even be reasonable in May.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Linda - I will start looking for watermelons in May.  I love watermelon. :thumbsup:  It would sure be nice to know when you are getting a good one.  Since they can be pricy, I hate it when I get home with one and cut into it and it is not as sweet as it should be.  I do like the seedless ones too, as its a hassle to spit out the black seeds.  Also a hassle to have to get up numerous times throughout the night to go to the bathroom. :thumbdown:  Thanks again.  Jerrie :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Having grown watermelons, here is the only wsy to pick a good watermelon in the store.
The rind should be green but a little dull. Bright green and it will not be ripe. Too dull in color and it will be over ripe. The belly should be turing yellow. Too much yellow or white and it is over-ripe.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks Linda, I'll have to remember that when buying my next watermelon.
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Thanks for the imfo Linda, I to love me some watermelon :drool:
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

JF, I've asked for grilled veggies at some restaurants that had sooooooo much grease dripping off of them.  I think they grill them with gobs of grease or butter.  They think they need that to make them taste good  :sick:  .  They really don't know what good grilled veggies are.  :D

*hug*
Ginny