Need some encouragement from people who have had success

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
WannaBeThin2011

Need some encouragement from people who have had success

Post by WannaBeThin2011 »

Hi everyone! My name is Brandi & I'm new to Let's Do Lunch. I'm posting because I need some encouragement to get started with this lifestyle change. I know that I'm supposed to go through all of the food I have & get rid of the "bad stuff" but that's kinda impossible..I live with my boyfriend & our son. My boyfriend is skinny & stays that way no matter what he eats. He eats nothing but junk..doesn't care for fruit and VERY rarely eats vegetables. So, I'm always going to have temptations lurking around the house somewhere. I've tried other programs before & was never able to stick to them, I'm either always hungry or just craving something I'm not supposed to eat. I'm really at my wits end with my weight issues. Summer is coming & I really don't want to be miserable because I'm too embarrassed to wear shorts or tank tops. If any of you have been in the same situation as far as living with someone who refuses to change their eating habits I would appreciate any advice u may have. Thanks! =)
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Need some encouragement from people who have had success

Post by MsHeirloom »

Brandi- It's all a matter of really wanting to achieve your goals.  You can do this even with temptation lurking in your home.  Fix meals with all the wonderful whole and wholesome foods that make up the LDL way of eating.  You will be full and satisfied.  Make extra so that you will always have leftovers to heat up for yourself whenever you face temptation or are hungry.  Continue to make some of your family's favorites for them.  Just make sure they are also not your favorites, i.e. your problem foods.  More later.  Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Brandi-- in the beginning (which is the hardest time of all) I was doing it alone.  My husband needed to lose some weight and when he saw how well it worked, he ended up joining me.  Until he did, I made meals for him and for me.  He ate junk and still does at times, but once you overcome your cravings by eating all the fresh fruit, veggies and bean soup you want you really can overcome temptations.  I got to where it didn't even tempt me, because this way of eating really satisfies you.  The weight came off steadily, so that was all the encouragement I needed to keep me eating this way.  In about 6 months I lost 50 lbs. -- which was 10 lbs. more than I was aiming for.  

I lost it the old LDL way of just fruit for breakfast and supper with a very large meal at lunch of veggies, bean soup and lean meat. Many changes have been made over the past year, but if you want to lose it the fastest -- the old way is best.   I personally had to stay away from popcorn to lose my weight.  I've heard of others who eat this and still lose and then someone who lost well at first eating popcorn, but as she lost and got down closer to her goal weight, she had to give up the popcorn to achieve more weight loss.  I still will eat it sometimes, but it makes me gain, so right now I'm staying away from it -- even when my husband eats it for supper.  

God bless you in your new lifestyle.  I thank Him all the time for leading me to LDL, because it was even better than what I was praying for.  I asked for a LIVEt instead of a DIEt -- and I can say it is truly something I can live with.  I will be slender for the rest of my life because of finding LdL.
WannaBeThin2011

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful advice. I will try my hardest to stick to this woe. I think once the cravings go away I will do just fine. One question I do have though is do any of u ever get tired of eating fruit all of the time? I LOVE fruit but I could see myself getting bored with it after a while.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

You know, I believe it is all in how you look at it.  If you call it all fruit, then you'll get tired of it possibly.  Instead call it pineapple, apples, cherries, watermelon, bananas, grapes, peaches, blueberries, oranges, kiwis, canteloupe, etc.  Do you see what I mean?  God has given us great variety in the fruit category.  I kind of look at it like saying -- Do you ever get tired of eating just food?  :laughing:  Of course not!  That's what you are supposed to eat.  And of course you aren't eating just fruit.  You are eating starchy carbs when you eat beans.  You are eating veggies and lean meats.

When I taught my classes on eating this way I used to tell my students that no true food group is cut out on LDL.  You eat proteins, carbs and fats!  That is truly the basic food groups -- not particularly the categories the government decided when we had the 4 basic food groups or now the food pyramid.  You can have all the carbs you want and all the proteins you want -- probably all the fats you "want" too, because I don't think anyone craves fats the way they do sweets and starches.  You are satisfied with a little of that category, when you are eating right in the other categories.  The only time I think you really overdo the fat category is when you are eating processed sweets and starches, because the high fats are needed for baked goods, chips and stuff to taste really good. 

Anyway, that is my spin on the whole topic.  Hope that helps you.  Truly, the battle is in your mind and if you call it just "fruit" you might feel you are justified in feeling deprived.  Open your eyes to the variety in the fruit category and it totally changes your outlook. 
WannaBeThin2011

Thank You, i never really thought of it that way. I think that will help me out a lot. I'm going to order the book sometime today & once I start LDL I can't wait to get back on here and let everyone know how much weight i've lost cause I know I can do it.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Brandi - Also, if your husband wants fries, you can make yourself some butternut squash fries.  They are amazing.  Me and my daughter love them.  Just toss them in olive oil or cooking spray and salt and peper and oven roast the at 400 or 450 until browned.  Really good and a good substitute for fries.  They do brown up a little better with olive oil, but the cooking spray is fewer calories.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Crickadoodle - 50 lbs in 6 months.  That is amazing.  Good job!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

The most important thing for you to do is sit down with your boyfriend and tell him how you feel...communication is what will make or break a relationship. When I first started LDL I sat down with my husband and two grown sons and told them that I needed to do this for ME. I knew if I didn't get my weight under control then they'd be burying me real soon and I wanted to live past 50. The stress from my job was causing me to eat all kinds of garbage and I had gained 75 pounds in what seemed like overnight. Unless you have the support that you need at home then you're not going to be able to succeed on ANY PROGRAM. When my husband realized that I meant business he agreed to be there for me (I actually threatened a divorce if he was going to stand in my way).

I then cleaned out the cupboards and donated everything to a nearby soup kitchen. I told my husband and sons that if they wanted anything that I wasn't suppose to have then they needed to eat it before they got home. I know a lot of people probably thought that I was being a B**** about it but it was my life that was at stake...not there's.

After I started losing and feeling much better they were more than willing to help me out...they had their "ole" mom back in their lives. Now they can bring things into the house that don't even tempt me. I was never into sugary things but I love salt...like chips and dip/salsa, etc. Plus, they even like the recipes and my son's acne has completely cleared up (he's happy about that because that means more girls :thumbsup:).

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on March 31st, 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Brandi- I was distracted this morning when I was replying to you.  Your challenge is similar to what most of us have faced, but like CQ said, after your cravings are gone, you will be able to watch others eating foods which would not help you achieve your goals, and you will not want those foods.  It really is a mindset and a strong desire to be healthy.  I can cook any foods I need to and only eat those foods which will promote weight loss for me.  I have baked birthday cakes and Christmas cookies without desiring even a taste.  I have sat in restaurants and watched people eating foods that used to be my "trigger foods."  You can and will do this if you set your mind to it.
I have tried almost every "diet" ever invented, and LDL is the only eating plan that I can stay on for the rest of my life.  As Crick says it's a Live-It, not a Die-It.  My weight loss has slowed to a crawl, but I love the foods I eat, I am satisfied, I am never hungry, and I feel great.  I have no deadline for reaching my weight-loss goal.  My body will decide.  When I push my shopping cart around the store, I am proud of all the beautiful foods in it.  Sometimes the cashier will comment on "all the healthy food" I am buying.
LDL is the best plan ever developed.  You will love the food and the wonderful people on these boards.  There is no need to wait until your book arrives.  Eat only unprocessed whole foods, eliminate grains (other than popcorn), eliminate dairy, and eat all the delicious fruits, vegetables, beans, and lean meats you need to be full and satisfied.  As Mary says, it's easy-peasy!  Let us know what we can do to help you.  Best wishes.   Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on March 31st, 2011, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

It's a decision you have to make for yourself... How bad do you want it. But at the same time let them eat what they want. I have my family over often, when they come I cook foods they like. It does not bother me, And I am able to keep non LDL FOODS  on hand it does not temt me. Like Pam says after a while you can watch others eat with out craving those foods. When they eat theres, you can eat LDL. I also keep a veggie tray on hand in the frig at all times makes a good snack and safe. Good luck in this and keep us posted.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Brandi, Welcome to the boards of the greatest eating plan on the planet.  Most has been said, but believe me, I still am amazed how delicious the foods are, how much I eat, and yet, I don't gain a lb.  I lost 60 plus lbs, and I have kept it off a year without effort.  My DH eats with me, but he also has junk all over the house.  I dip his ice cream, make him fried potatoes, etc, but have no desire for the foods.  For two weeks, I didn't think I was going to make it without pizza, but found the taste, so I haven't had pizza, nor do I have a desire for it.  Of course, I remember how delicious all the sweets were and are, but as Crick says, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."  Since, I am totally satisfied with the kind of foods and the amount I get to eat, I plan to stay the same size.You can do it, and you will not be sorry.  :thumbsup: and  :)  JF
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Brandi,

Speaking of pizza....my husband and sons wanted one last night and ordered from their favorite place...a Sicilian family owned restaurant down the street (much better than Pizza Hut or any other pizza chain). When they brought it home it smelled good but when I looked at it all I saw was GREASE... :sick: YUK!

Believe me...you'll be able to get to that point as well.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 3rd, 2011, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Hello Brandi, I've only been on LDL since 2/17/11. I know how hard it is to diet or do anything without the support of your loved ones. My husband does not do LDL. But thank GOD he supports me to the fullest. But sometimes you just have to do whats right for you. Like all of us here you have tried other programs only to fail. Well let me tell ya Honey this aint know ordinary program :D  I truly believe this plan is a God send. I thank God that he laid it on Rodgers heart to share this plan with anyone who wants it. I know I have'nt been on LDL very long but I know I will never do anything else. It just feels right. You mentioned that you are either hungry or craving something, so it makes me wonder do you eat enough? Remember to eat if you are hungry. I dont know if you are trying any of the recipes that are posted here or not. But please give them a try. You want believe how good they are. You will find a whole lot of love and support on these boards. And by all means if you have a question about something just ask. Thats what do. Just hang in there you can do it, remember your worth it.
                                                                                        Charlotte
yoyodieter
New, but learning

Post by yoyodieter »

Hi Brandi
My 19 year old son eats like a horse and there is always junk food in the house as he wants it and can afford to eat it occasionally. Once you get started on LDL and the weight comes off, which it will after the first 24 hrs :D it will become easier not to eat the wrong things. Don't let yourself get hungry, drink lots of water and read the book over and over. I baked cookies without tasting ( aka eating) half the cookie dough ! That was quite a challenge- also did not eat a single cookie. Once you have little successes like that you seem to get some control back and it becomes easier every day. I have some frozen LDL meals in the freezer for the days that my Family eats casseroles- meals I cannot split up to eat only the legal stuff. If you plan ahead a bit you have no excuse not to eat right.
Good luck Brandi  :thumbsup:
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Welcome, WannaBeThin2011. 

I noticed you haven't read the book yet.  Please be sure to get it and read it . . . 3 times!  Then keep it handy.  The advice to talk to your boyfriend and get him to support you even if he doesn't eat the foods.  My Hubby does not eat my LDL foods, but he supports me and he does taste everything but even though he says it's good, he won't ask me to make it for him. 

Make sure you have LDL foods ready for you already made/frozen.  I give my hubby a cupboard for his goodies that I won't eat and I don't go in there so it doesn't tempt me.  He also has a bin in the refridgerator for his stuff.  If it's "out-of-my-sight" it doesn't bother me.  He also trys to eat his foods when I am not home or at the table when I am not in front of him. 

One day he left chocolate chip cookies on the counter when he was done.  I came home (he was out) and I put the cookies in a baggie and put them in his cupboard.  I left the empty cookie container on the counter.  When he came home he asked if I ate them.  I answered "you left them on the counter instead of putting them away, what did you expect?"  I did not tell him they were in a baggie in the cupboard until late that night.  Since, then, no tempting foods left out for me!

Even if your boyfriend does not need to lose weight, LDL is a very healthy way of eating that would be good for him and your son.  They may even feel better for eating better.

Hang in there.  We're here for you.  Take it one day at a time.  I realized after 5 months and 30 pounds off that it was the EASIEST 30 pounds lost EVER!  :D  I never was hungry or felt deprived!

*hug*
Ginny
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

YOYO, At christmas I always bake cookies for my family. I used to eat the dough too. But now I can bake them and not be tempted. I start my baking early maybe in Nov. and freeze them until time to give away. They love it and don't want to take that away from my family. I would have never thought I could bake and not eat as I love baking so much. I feel that's a big step for me the baking and not eating and I get to enjoy the great smell!