Red Grapes are your friend!

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
losingtowin

Red Grapes are your friend!

Post by losingtowin »

Several years ago, I read the can of Cherry Coke sitting on my desk and realized that 12 ounces of Cherry Coke has 42 grams of sugar and decided right then and there that I had to QUIT drinking sodas. I am not someone who can have one once in a while...if I "fall off the wagon," I'm gonna drink a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, Cherry Cole or Pepsi, etc.

Anyway, when I cut them out, I found that I craved red grapes for some reason. (HELLO? my body was screaming for carbs, so the grapes filled that need.) After about three months of no sodas and eating a lot of red grapes, I had dropped from a size 10 jean size to a 6!

Then I saw Dr. Wilson on Channel 5 in Atlanta one morning, and he was talking about his book...he mentioned some "free carbs," foods that you can eat all you want and not gain weight. Red grapes were on that list. He said that not only are they "free" carbs, they are also a natural diuretic, therefore prevent you from retaining water. If I hadn't already lost weight, I might not have believed it.

For some reason while I was eating red grapes about three times a day (the most important handful seemed to be ones I ate the minute I got up), I didn't WANT bread or rice or pasta anymore. Instead of going to Quizno's at lunch and getting a big cheese dripping sub, I was going to Boston Market and getting roasted chicken and veggies. I didn't make a conscious effort to change what I ate, it just happened, because the grapes were completely filling my need for carbs.

Sooooooo, anyway, like I said that was years ago, and since then I fell off the soda wagon and needless to say I am NOT a size 6 anymore. A couple of months ago I cut out the sodas again...I'm over 40 now, and I have just GOT to make this my lifestyle now. I'm back on the grapes, LOL!  I am working out on my elliptical machine, and using a lot of resistance on it,  to maximize my time on it.  I'm drinking lots of water, eating salads and right now I'm getting some awesome fresh veggies from my garden.  So far I am down a jean size, so it's working...I just have to keep it up, and that's the hard part for me.

I had posted my success story on another forum way back when it happened, and forgot about it for a few months...then one day someone posted a "thank you" thread to me, because she'd done the no sodas/red grape thing and had gone from a size 16 to a 12!

I just wanted to post my story here because I'm new here and will very likely need some moral support from others who are doing the same thing, trying to get and stay healthy!  My family is supportive, but it's not the same as having others around who know what I'm going through.  I also wanted to post to let you all know that the red grape can be your best friend for changing your eating habits! And I would like to thank Dr. Wilson, because if not for him, I never would have realized that my success was due in large part to the grapes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Red Grapes are your friend!

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome losingtowin and thank you so much for posting your success.
Have you ever tried frozen red grapes? I had never heard of eating them frozen until Roger mentioned it in his book.
Frozen grapes are sooo awesome.
Watermelons are also a great change of menu if you ever tire of grapes.
I will oftern eat half a watermelon for a meal and it works as a diuretic also (warning: if you eat that much late in the day you may be making frequent trips to the bathroom during the night  :shocked:).
Eliminating grains and going with an unprocessed food program, you will find an amazing reshaping your body will go through. We are here to help so be sure to ask questions but also share any little tidbits or bumps along the way.
Last edited by LINDA RN on July 6th, 2011, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Losingtowin: thanks for the post.  I know what I'm buying the next time I go to the grocery store: red grapes.  Jerrie :)
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Linda - have you ever tried frozen watermelon?  I haven't, but I just wondered when you posted about watermelon if it would be good frozen.  I'll have to try that.  Jerrie :)
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Welcome Losingtowin.  You will love it here.  As you know, this is the way to eat yourself healthy!  Pam
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

Jerrie,

Frozen watermelon is AWESOME!!!   
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I think Wendy mentioned making watermelon popsicles.
Watermelons never have time to freeze around here!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Bludaffodil and Wendy - what is the best way to freeze watermellon?  Jerrie :)
bludaffodil

Post by bludaffodil »

Jerrie,

I just cut the watermelon into small chunks, de-seed it and put it in the
freezer on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.  Freeze for a couple
of hours and enjoy!
(Whatever I don't eat right away, I will put it in a ziplock bag for later.)

This is so-o-o-o-o-o refreshing and yummy!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

You can cut into cubes and push a popsicle stick into it before freezing.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Bludaffodil and Linda - thank you for the tips on freezing watermelon.  I just bought a new one tonight to freeze, but I haven't cut into it yet.  I hope it is sweet.  It would be nice to know which watermelons were sweet and which ones were kinda bland before you buy.  Especially with what they cost.  I guess if it isn't as sweet as I like when I cube it, I can put a bit of stevia on it.  Thanks again.   Jerrie :)
Last edited by JerrieH on July 7th, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I have had great luck in picking watermelons this summer.  I surely love to eat the watermelon as soon as I cut it.  I think it is so much sweeter and good at room temperature.  I do refrigerate the rest.  My dh does not like any kind of melon, so I get it all. :laughing:  I have never frozen it.  On a real hot day-it would be refreshing.  The grapes are.  I went to the farmer's market today.  Fruits and veggies are starting to come on strong.  I froze 12 pints of blueberries last week to have in the winter.  I plan to do more. I love  those fruits and veggies.    :thumbsup:
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

I have had good luck with watermelons as well. I like it cold. I cut it in cubes and put it in the frig ready to eat. So good.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I can tell you how to pick a ripe one, but now way to know if it is sweet. They will be sweeter the more rain they get while growing. So far I have yet to get a sweet one. Guess Texas drought has really affected the watermelons we get.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

When I was at the store and bought my watermelon today, I asked the young man working in produce if he knew about the watermelons and how sweet they were.  He said he had one and said his was sweet.  He then proceeded to tell me to look for one that had a yellowish spot on it to show that it had been setting for a while (where the yellow spot was), and thus had time to ripen somewhat, so I bought the one that he showed me that had the yellow spot on it.  I cut into it a little while ago and it was good and sweet in the middle, but the farther out it went the less flavor, but over all it was good.  Better than the last one I bought.  Jerrie :)