hamburger/turkey/chicken

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
jopaul

hamburger/turkey/chicken

Post by jopaul »

How do you freeze your hamburger/ground turkey/ground chicken? I have been freezing it in 1lb or 1 1/2lb packages, but when the recipe calls for 4 oz, I have 12 oz of thawed meat left to use up quickly (can't refreeze it). What do you'll do with regards to packaging your ground meat?
Thanks in advance,
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
snowbirdie
Master Member

Re: hamburger/turkey/chicken

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi,
      Sorry  I freeze all my ground meat in 1 pound packs. There is 3 of us and 2 small dogs and it is just the right amount. Maybe you could crumble fry the left over raw meat then freeze till later.
                              Judie
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

When I have extra burger I fry it and make taco meat for salads or taco omelet.  I have also used it to make an extra soup to eat or freeze.  Easy to cook hamburger and freeze just like that until you want to use it.
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

I buy the family pack of 90 percent lean hamburger. Using my kitchen scale that has a removable bowl, I measure out into 1 lb, 1/2 lb, 1/4 lb packages. Then I label them with the amount before I put then into my freezer.  I use more 1/2 lbs so I make more of these packs than the other measurements.

Comment... I haven't been buying a lot of hamburger recently because it is over 4 dollars a pound in my chain grocery store.  I bought a whole boneless pork loin yesterday for 2 dollars a pound and divided it up, after cutting off all the fat.  I now have 6 packs of pork chops (2 to a pack), two one pound pork roasts, and two one-half pound packs.  I have 5-6 new pork recipes which I am looking forward to trying out.

For those newbies that don't know it, lean pork is allowed.  It is not mentioned in Roger's books because of his religious beliefs.
Last edited by VickiLynn on January 15th, 2012, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

VickiLynn,
Thanks so much. The cheapest that I've found ground beef if Farm Fresh and Sam's club. You have to buy a 5lb package of it. I'm used to dividing it up into smaller portions. I have a scale with a removable bowl, so that's doable. I didn't know about the pork. Thanks for all the info.

Tina
(joe is my oldest son's name) (Paul is my youngest son's name) This is how I came up with the log on name, jopaul.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

jopaul I am single so this might not work for your situation....but this is what I do.  I do my shopping one day a week.  Then on saturdays I cook for the week.  I cook all of my meats and put them in containers in the fridge or freezer.  During the week I can then just pull things out and heat as I need them.  This week money is a little tight so I made a huge batch of beef/chicken/veggie soup.  I'll be noshing on that for a few days and then I'll eat some fish I have in the freezer.  I try to keep stocked up on canned veggies to tide me over during times like this.  Maybe you could cook half and freeze half?  Hope this helps!  :)

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.