WEEK 1 review:

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
tcasola
Administrator

WEEK 1 review:

Post by tcasola »

Tomorrow will be 1 week since I started LDL. I hope you don’t mind me sharing my views/thoughts for the first week:

Take Roger’s advice, and read the book 3 times before starting. Then take my advice and read the book 3 more times during the first week. You will find you will grasp concepts you have missed the first 3 times.   

Take advantage of the bulletin board. – The folks on the bulletin board are a Godsend. Everyone is willing to help: give advice, give encouragement, and give insight. In addition, having the founder take a personal interest in each (and every) individual is a Blessing of its own. I do not think I would have gotten past this week without the help I received.

Rethink your eating habits. – My new meal mantra is – eat breakfast line a prince, eat lunch like a king, and eat dinner like a pauper. In addition, the idea of eating salads and/or vegetables before the protein is novel to me. I have noticed by doing this, I have eaten fewer amounts of meats then on past diets.

Rethink your eating ritual – Like many, the traditional Sunday dinner for my family is macaroni and meat. No matter which diet I have been on, I have always caved in on Sundays. This past Sunday, as usual, the macaroni was cooked. It had lots of cheese and sauce on top. Accompanied was the big bowl of meat. I have to admit everything looked great, and appetizing. I do have to admit that I sat down at the table, and enjoyed a great big bowl of salad, then various veggies (with melted fat-free cheese and tomatoes sauce on top), and some meat. For dessert, I had my now infamous semi frozen banana treat. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and I did not miss the ‘ronis one iota.

Who would have thought frozen fruit would be so delicious? – I have been freezing all sorts of fruits to see how taste. Suggestion: make sure you dice/separate/skin certain fruits before freezing. … Yes, I know this sound like common sense, but I will be honest here. I put a whole banana in the freezer. Needles to say, when it came out of the freezer, it made a better hammer then a fruit. However, I did discover that my stupidity actually created a delicious treat – when the banana is semi-defrosted (just enough to remove the skin) it is like eating a frozen banana Popsicle – sans the stick.

Since I am too heavy for a scale (even doctor’s), I can’t say for sure if I have lost weight. What I can happily report - as of this morning, the steering wheel doesn’t rub-up against my belly.

Hope I didn’t bore you too much  ;D !!

Tom

PS – I have another meaning for LDL: Living-it – Doing-it – Loving-it !!
Last edited by Anonymous on July 18th, 2006, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
TNangela

Re: WEEK 1 review:

Post by TNangela »

Tom,
Thanks for sharing your ideas and I love the new motto...I think it is very appropriate.
Keep up the good work!
ANG
niki

Post by niki »

that's great tom...i love your enthusiasm...and you now have PLENTY to be enthusiastic about..
  and the best thing is that it takes no willpower.....someone reading what you wrote about sunday who had never been on ldl would say that you had LOADS of willpower....the truth is(and i say this with a smile on my face),it didn't take willpower.......just "let's do lunch".............keep up the great work.........sincerely,niki 
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tom, Remember, we are alot alike. Your comments about the steering wheel are for real. Most people don't relate to that but it is very true. We big people get to experience things that other people don't.  You have a great sense of humor and you also know when to be serious. (Like LDL).  Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Everyone needs to show their sense of humor, and you do. It makes us all happy.  Mike
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

Hey Tom that was cool...standing at the urinal is turning out to be a whole new experience as well. I know ladies TMI but i had to share that insight. It is amazing how accurate you can be when you get to stand a little closer to your work. Hardy har har!!!!

Love ya guys!!! take care!!!

rh
Richard Hernandez
Tori

Post by Tori »

I love it!!! Congrats Tom on the beginning of your journey and for already seeing success shining through! (:

And Richard, yes, a little TMI, but I have to admit you made me LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!  ;D
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who froze whole bananas without peeling them.  I felt so silly when I discovered what they had turned into, and I broke a nail way back trying to peel one.  Finally I just let them thaw enough to peel them, cut them in half and put them into a freezer bag.  :-[

I also learned another important lesson this first week.  If the blender (full of a smoothie) gets stuck in its base, don't twist it.  Believe me, you don't want to twist it -- not unless you're willing to spend the next hour cleaning the blender and the counter.

I guess we learn from our mistakes.
niki

Post by niki »

want a good laugh?...look for joe's post called "disaster in van nuys" on the discussion board................don't miss out on the dancing fruit......niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Tom:

Are you Italian? Why not do eggplant parmigiana (a la LDL) or polenta on Sunday.

Niki, help us out here, I think that's allowable.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

absolutely....and i'll tell you there are a lot of italian foods that can be eaten....people think that italians only eat pasta.............i remember my mother LOVING to eat what i used to call "weeds"....but it was escarole cooked with garlic,olive oil and lemon.............so you guys with those italian tastebuds just have to be a little more creative....
   when eggplant is on sale,buy loads...look for that recipe for eggplant chips...i know you guys will LOVE that..just spray the teflon pan with olive oil spray,put it at the top of the oven on broil for a minute or two(joe,please don't set your house on fire) and make a lot,make some thicker and make some homemade sauce and pour it over with soy cheese on it.....
   i started grounding roasted chick peas and making flour out of it to dredge chicken breasts.....richard did that with soynuts(made a flour out of it)and breaded fish with that......make chicken like that and pour sauce over it and soy cheese and you have chicken parmigiana.........broccolirabe with garlic,olive oil and a shake of crushed red pepper and you won't even notice there's no pasta...................
   there's a lot that you can do.......niki     
Last edited by niki on July 31st, 2006, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

I've never set the house on fire but have had the stove erupt in flames on occasion. That will happen less frequently as I cook more the LLD way. By the way, made Bobbi's taco soup for dinner the other night. I asked my wife (Delia) what she though, she said "It's O.K.".......five minutes later "Got anymore?"

Joe
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Or use spaghetti squash as pasta, or long shreds or slices of zucchini done with a veggie peeler or a mandoline slicer. An all-veggie meal is wonderful to the taste buds! Abondanza! (married to a Greek, what do I know of Italian??) :) ...nyK
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

I am half-Sicilian and half-Naplidon. Funny that you all mentioned Eggplant Parmesan. I bought eggplant, and been putting it in my soups. I am planning on trying Mary’s Eggplant Parmesan, but I don’t have a food processor for the popcorn. I will improvise something, and give it a shot. 

As for escarole - one meal that reminds me of my dad is escarole and beans. God Bless his soul, he loved that. I guess back then he knew what was good for ya. Maybe father did know best  ;D.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
niki

Post by niki »

hi tom......i'm assuming mary uses the popcorn for breading....ground chick peas or soynuts are what richard and i have used for breading..........
   but,honestly,if you slice the eggplant slices and roast them on a pan with a little olive oil or olive oil spray,you don't need breading...you really don't .....drown it in sauce.....and then soy cheese....and try making some eggplant chips....the ones that you make really thin taste like potato chips....
   i posted that black bean soup with eggplant...that's great...i'm going to make that again when i see eggplant on sale....actually,i'm going to buy a lot of eggplant...all this talk is making me hungry for it.....there are so many great things you could make with eggplant at this time of year.......you could make chicken cacciatore with boneless chicken and add cubed eggplant....you're italian....you don't need recipes...this is all in your genetic makeup...................niki       
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

nyKath:
In her book "Julia Child and More Company" she talks about how she created this  dinner completely void of cooked flesh (your spaghetti squash suggestion reminded me of it). The funny thing was, not until after she fed it to her guests  had she realize she had created a "veggie" dinner.

I met her once many years ago................a delightfully bizarre woman.

Joe
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Julia was one in a million and with a great sense of humor and realness about her, to boot. nyKath