Thank You Roger!

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
kathyk

Thank You Roger!

Post by kathyk »

Okay Roger, with your encouragement I'm posting our "testimonial." I'm really enjoying reading all the postings on the web site. I can't believe we didn't check it out sooner.

My husband and I were given your book as a gift about 1.5 years ago and we have been following you're guidelines for healthier eating (NOT diet - diet is another bad 4 letter word to us). After about 6 months, my husband lost 35 lbs. and I lost about 15 lbs. (my lowest since high school and my husband's lowest since college).

After reaching a comfortable plateau, we have been able to essentially maintain our loss with no appreciable effort or permanent weight gain. As you stated in your book, this change in eating behavior and just being "aware" of the fattening eating hazards has helped us to maintain the loss.

After the first few months, it was incredible to really become consciously aware of the many pitfalls around us (like fast foods, junk foods, fattening portions served at restaurants, and so forth). How often we consumed those fattening things like breads, pastas, sodas, etc. was astounding (no wonder we could never successfully lose weight). Like you, we have tried many other diets over the years with no success (principally because those diets seem to be based more on rigid deprivation). Let's do Lunch (LDL) does have some elements of depriving oneself of those fattening habits, but you provide alternatives and methods to curb and eventually eliminate those addictive cravings. We think this is one of the fundamental key concepts that distinguishes your plan from others and is what has enabled us to be successful.

The other concept is that once you fully understand the Let's do Lunch philosophy, it is okay to stray now and again, because you just KNOW that you can easily get back on track and actually lose anything that is gained and be able to keep it off.

We were/are really amazed at the "eat as much as you like" principle. This is actually a difficult philosophy to accept and really adopt because intuitively, it just seems completely backwards thinking for someone trying to lose weight (particularly if you have tried so many other weight loss plans over the years that are based on the fundamental principle of consuming less). When we first started LDL, we only partially embraced this way of thinking and it wasn't until we fully embraced it that we really understood and believed this could become a real and practical way of life. Quite frankly, my husband still has a hard time with the calories in vs. calories burned perceived disparity. We both just know that it has worked for us and it does seem much more well balanced than something like the Atkins diet.

There is a reality show on TV called The Biggest Loser that is based on the premise of overweight people competing to lose the most weight. We bet that if one of those contestants followed your plan AND exercised as much as the show depicts, they would hands down be the biggest loser.

It will be interesting to see how those people are doing 1-2 years from now. I am confident where we will be 1-2 years from now thanks to LDL. Thank you for sharing your secret. From all of the positive feedback we have read on your chat board and our own experience, you have certainly enriched many lives and quite frankly, have probably saved and prolonged many more. Keep spreading the word...we will.

Sincerely, Kathy K.

P.S. We were excited to see the recipes on the chat boards and plan to check in frequently. That is one thing we noticed lately...getting a little bored with our "stand-by" meals and wanting to try some new things. We would also like to purchase the newer version of your book - several copies in fact..for us as well as close friends and family. Just to let you know, we also have two young children - 3 and 6 - who are also eating a lot healthier since we have become more aware of our eating habits. I am also looking forward to checking the "question" board and participating - there are times when I have questions about foods & labels.
Last edited by kathyk on January 14th, 2005, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.