Late 60's and Losing !!!!!!

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
Forever Young
Master Member

Re: Late 60's and Losing !!!!!!

Post by Forever Young »

Glad to hear you are back on track again!  Know that sometimes circumstances help us off track, but we always feel so much better when we are back on track with Let's Do Lunchtm!!!

Yes, I too believe in miracles!  My husband is a walking miracle.  He was supposed to have died 43+ years ago.  But God has spared him for the work He has called him to do!  If the Lord hadn't healed me numerous times, I would not be here today either!

Glad to hear of the healing that took place in your family.  God is sooooo good to us...and He never fails us!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Bkkr123 wrote:Hello all,  I am almost totally back on track. 

I do believe in miracles!!!!

i ABSOLUTELY believe in miracles......what a blessing this baby is going to be to you all.........God bless you always.....
   AND glad you're back on track...that helps us in every way..those fluctuating blood sugars can make us feel depressed...it can do all kinds of negative things to us....
   i have one question...i've been praying for your grandson, anthony...would you tell me how old he is?.....i've been praying for him in the category of grandkid age...but maybe he belongs in the adult children category....hope he's doing well........niki 
Last edited by niki on December 3rd, 2007, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Niki, Anthony (Tony) just turned 18 and will know the outcome of his delimma this Thurs.  Cody (little brother) with the heart condition was 10 yrs in Sept.  He went to the dr.last week.  Doing OK for now. He will go back in March for another echo and a cath.  The cath dr will decide  when he will need the next surgery.  They do not want to operate in the winter (they said) because it is the time of all the flu's and sniffles going around.  The chances for safe and germ=free recovery are lower in the winter.  Unless, of course, it is absolutely necessary.

I have dropped another 4 lbs.  I am not totally on LDL, as we are on the move so much and grab bites here and there, but I DO keep fruit handy and eat small portions of the "bad" things.  I have been cooking a little more the last two weeks.  After the holidays and the house up for sale, I will be able to consentrate more on full LDL.  I had to buy a couple of T tops to go with my baggy jeans.  I bought them in the ladies' section, not the woman's section.  I will wear the baggy jeans this year and get fitting shorts and slacks next year(!!!)  In FL We don't wear long pants much, even us old gals.  Knee-length shorts are fine for every day.

later ya'll
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

thanks, nancy.....i've been praying for both of them but now have a little better understanding of things....and, i didn't realize they were brothers.......the Lord will see them through, will see YOU through, will see us ALL through EVERY difficulty in our lives.....praise God.....love,niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

:-[  Hi Guys.....I'm Back !!!!!!!!  I have been almost totally off the wagon for monhs.  I am so ashamed, I have beenh depressed and lazy. However, there is light at the end of this dismal tunnel.  I am coming back....
I have stayed within 5 lbs.  going from 228 to 233 and back and forth.  LDL is imbedded in my mind somewhere, so I don;t binge like I did early last year and before.  I will have been on LDL (so to speak) since May 21, 2007 and I have only lost 35 to 40 lbs.  UGH....

I have a lot of reading to do on this board.  A lot of catching up to do.  And----it is Pluot time.. haha
Maybe the season was the reason,  The fruits were ugh in the winter, even though I live in FL and we have everyhing all year.  THe fruit from Central and South America usually is not fully ripe and sweet....and God knows I NEED sweet to keep me straight. 

Will be back on line later.  Love all you guys and have thought about all of my LDL friends often.

Nancy
Nancy in FLImage
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Dear Nancy,
Glad to see youre back Nancy and ready to take it on again.  You seem to be doing LDL like me.....a little at a time. I think this time Im back till Im done.  Im tired of fooling around.  When I saw your post this morning I was trying to remember something about you and went back to read some of your posts.  Well your touching story about your son Mike and your granddaughter had me in tears.  What a sweet little girl.  It made me remember a story about my daughter Rebecca who was about two 1/2 at the time.  We were visiting an old woman from church who was very ill in the nursing home.  She looked horrible....scary to look at even for an adult.  Her face was all red and all scaley.  She had very thin scraggly hair and was skin and bones but my daughter climbed into bed with her and stroked her cheek and cuddled her and told her how beautiful she was and how much she loved her.  She even had this little plastic heart necklace that she loved from the character Anastasia from the disney movie and she gave it to her to keep.  I remember standing there with tears in my eyes while witnessing that moment and how much comfort this little girl was giving to this poor sick woman who was just soaking up every drop of the sweet attention she was getting.  The story of your sons death also could have been my story.  My husband is also a Mike and coincidentally he is also a welder/aka boilermaker.  He was on a job once welding in a really tight hot area and some how the sweat from his body and the arc from the weld touched his watch and the electricity jolt sent a burn right thru him and it exited outside his lower back and sent him flying on his butt.  Luckily by the grace of God he survived with only the burn and a big jolt but it could have easily had another outcome.   Luckily now he is the foreman at work so he doesnt hardly have to weld anymore but it is a very dangerous job and people are always getting hurt so you have reminded me that I need to pray more for my husbands safetly at work.  Thank you for sharing your touching story with the boards.  I pray that God helps heal your broken heart and helps you to stay the course on LDL this time too so you can continue to be a treasure to your family. 
Love and God Bless
Debbie
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Hey! Welcome back. There are several of us that have wandered, but we're trickling back in.
Come on in, the food's good!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Yes, Welcome back, Nancy!

As NJ and Debbie said, there are many of us that have gone and are back... I, like Debbie, feel like I'm here for good!  John and I both started again in late December.  John is now only three pounds from his goal and is just tickled... I'm 59 away from mine.... aaarrgghh....  seems like SO much!  (Well, it IS so much!!  LOL!)

Anyway, you've got a bunch of people here that are ready to root you on!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Carolyn, how I WISH I was only 59 pounds from my goal!  LOL  Hang in there, kid, you're doing GREAT!  :)

Nancy -- welcome back!  I wasn't here yet when you left, but I read your story and I thank you for sharing.  I'm sorry you have been struggling, but this is a good place to be for comfort, encouragement and moral support.  But you know that already. :)

Love those smileys!  ;D

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Gwennaford wrote:Carolyn, how I WISH I was only 59 pounds from my goal!  LOL  Hang in there, kid, you're doing GREAT!  :)

And you know, Gwen  - You're right.  Sometimes I am so down on myself.  I told John that I lost 4.5 pounds this month.  He is so encouraging - He said, "Well that's GOOD!"

I've gotta tell you, though - it's so discouraging - since December 29th, he's dropped 22 pounds to my 11.5.  I realize that men and women lose differently, and that men generally lose faster than women, but you would think that with me not even being CLOSE to my goal that I would lose quicker than I have.  I just went back and counted and it's been 13 weeks - that's less than 1 pound a week... and again, I know, I know that this is the way to do it - a pound or so a week.... but still.............  (in my best whiney voice)

OK - I'm off the pity pot...  As Jeanne says - I'll just keep on keepin' on.......  (sigh.......)

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Carolyn, I learned something VERY valuable to me as I was losing that first 150 pounds.  You have probably heard that the reason men lose quicker than women is because of their greater proportion of lean body mass (muscle).  Not fair, I know, but what I didn't know is that muscle burns calories TEN TIMES FASTER than fat.  I heard Dr. Oz say it again recently.

(oh boy........here she goes again......testimonial time..... ::))  I'll just give you the Cliff-notes version to avoid clogging up Nancy's thread.

Back in the old days of that "popular weight loss program" I never MOVED because I didn't want any extra muscle to slow down my race to goal.  When I achieved my high goal weight of 143 lbs. I was a walking skeleton with saggy skin and absolutely no muscle mass.  At 5'6" that was WAY to skinny for my frame.  I only wore a SIZE 2 dress.  My mother cried one day when she saw my depleted body.  I think it took me about a year to lose 70 pounds.

Fast forward to 1998 - I had gained 15 pounds a year for 17 years.  I rejoined "that program" at 409 pounds, joined a gym, gradually started walking in water, built up to water aerobics, heard about the lean muscle thing and started lifting weights to increase muscle mass and bone density.  Earned the nickname "Hercules" at the gym!  :D  Lost 120 lbs. in 6 months.  Then arthritis & life got in the way, weight loss slowed down, reversed, & without any exercise other than physical therapy, quickly built back up to where I started.

So the moral of the story is, for women to lose weight a little faster, 1) get doctor's approval and 2) add lean muscle mass.  I can offer some great suggestions on easy ways to do it if anyone is interested. 

In fact, it's time to take my own advice, since I'm feeling SO FANTASTIC on Let's Do LunchTM...Eating Until Full to Lose Weight.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 30th, 2008, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

WOW Nancy -- I went back all 8 pages and read your whole story ... Girl, YOU are an inspiration. 
1. Good sense of humor
2. Positive outlook despite tragedy, setbacks, and obstacles
3. Willingness to work hard for something worthwhile
4. Lost enough to make your pants fall off
5. Kept off all but 5 pounds of it even after several months off program
6. Generous with your PLUOTS  ;D

I could go on and on.  I want to hear all about your recent travels.  I love, love, love camping, campgrounds, campsites, campers (the people), camping gear......  It's even better with a tricked out RV!  We want one someday.  Do you still live in Florida?  I know you moved, but I didn't catch where.  I live in Clearwater.  Gonna go looking for me some pluots.......

If you need more motivation, just go back and read everything YOU posted on THIS thread alone.  ;D
ImageImage