ISSUES WITH SELF CONTROL - NEED HELP

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
SweetRose
Master Member

Re: ISSUES WITH SELF CONTROL - NEED HELP

Post by SweetRose »

Thanks CQ~ As usual, you give good advice! :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

RT,

I hate to bust your bubble but men and women react differently to chocolate.

One of the reasons that women crave chocolate is tied to hormones. When estrogen levels drop (such as during PMS or perimenopause/menopause), so does the brain serotonin level that helps us feel calm (like the Mary Jane effect). Another reason is a magnesium deficiency often seen with PMS. Chocolate is full of magnesium. The only other food that is higher in magnesium is seaweed.

The only suggestion that I can give is to try to incorporate a seaweed salad or some other recipe that contains seaweed in your diet during that time. Or, take a supplement (I prefer to eat foods that contain the vitamins and minerals my body needs).

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 1st, 2011, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukgrad77
New, but learning

Post by ukgrad77 »

CQ.

I have a very good gf who is a pharmacist.  She is one of the smartest women I know when it comes to drugs and nutritionals.  She has done A LOT of continuing ed on the latter.  She is very into integrating traditional and nontraditional methods in western medicine.  That being said........I think you are right up with her.  Your knowledge is amazing and I always enjoy learning from your posts.  If med school didn't take so long and cost so much money----I would tell you to go to med school.

At any rate.......thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

ukgrad77(Mary)
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Thanks, ukgrad77. Most of my family members are either doctors or nurses (and lawyers that I'm not too proud of) and I had planned to do so, unfortunately, I had to drop out. I was having severe preeclampsia with my second pregnancy and had to spend the last two months in bed until it was safe to have a C-section. He was worth it. :thumbsup: Anyway, with two children to take care of it made it hard to try to go back. But, I have been thinking of going for a PA degree and working with one of the docs that keeps telling me that I'm wasting my time doing what I do now.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 1st, 2011, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

All I can sat is Watch all that fruit... I ate all the sweetest fruits like said to kill the cravings and ended up with a terrible overgrowth  of yeast, has tooks months to get rid of and sent me to the DR SEVERAL TIMES and caused me to get shingles. Before LDL I was like SWEETROSE  :rose: NEVER CARED FOR MUCH FRUIT. I made myself like it. Now looking back I would NEVER do that again, not worth what can happen. So my advice from experience is watch the fruit!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Wither,

You're right. Yeast feeds off of fruit because of the sugar. And, if you already have it in your body it will only exacerbate the situation. If you email me, I'll tell you how to get rid of it naturally. I don't want to post it here because it's not FDA approved and I'm sure RT doesn't want to get sued for it being posted on his website.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Wither, I'm wondering what types of fruit you ate.  I guess I'm wondering if some fruit would encourage this more than others.  Or, did you put fruit juice in smoothies?  I know that some fruits are sweeter than the others.  Would that make a difference, CQ?

CQ, my husband's cousin's wife is going to school to be a PA and is almost finished.  She had to do lots of it away from home and they had to be apart, but she can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  She used to be an assistant to the head of the local hospital and went back to school in her 40s.  She is hoping to work with the elderly.  I have seen how few doctors are taking elderly patients now -- since caring for my mom -- so I'm excited she'll be doing this.  And, CQ, can you do a PA thing that is more toward naturopathy medicine?  Is there a school for this?  You go girl!  Although, you wouldn't have time for us!!!!  :thumbdown:  :laughing:
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Now that is a great idea.
Even as old as I am, I would consider a PA or Nurse Practicioner in naturopathy.
I had a chance to go to Yale University School of Medicine straight out of Nursing School to be a Surgical PA.
I was too scared to go alone.  :poo: Ah, youth. I was only 20.
I had never been more than 250 miles from home in NE Ohio at that point.
The really sad thing is that I could have done the 2 years tuition-free, only paying 600.00/yr for books and supplies.
Hindsight is 20/20!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Crick, I DID NOT DRINK JUICE  OR MAKE SMOOTHIES STILL DON'T....I ATE GRAPES, WATERMELON,BANANAS ALL FRUIT EXCEPT NOT MANY ORANGES. I MADE FRUIT MY BREAKFAST AND FRUIT MY DINNER. NOT ANY MORE.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Crickadoodle,

The school that one of the docs wants me to go to is in Tempe, Arizona. He's even willing to pay for it if I agree to work for him for five years afterwards...that's something that I'm definitely considering. We get along very well so I don't think I'd want to walk out before the five years were up... :D

CQ
yoyodieter
New, but learning

Post by yoyodieter »

I was in the same boat as little Princess was. I think we use food to medicate all kinds of ailments ie: loneliness, frustration, anger,boredom, stress and sadness. As soon as we loose control we loose self respect and then comes the downward spiral. The weight comes on and the self esteem goes out the door. What I did was read the book again, went on the discussion boards and browsed around- saw all the support out there and got back on the wagon! Once those pounds go the other things fall back in place. One needs to deal with the " bumps" in life and with any mental issues that may me there and then it can only get easier to stay on the right path to healthy weight.
You can do it, even if it takes a few fresh starts  ;D
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Wow, Linda, that was an incredible opportunity -- but I'm sure you are where you are supposed to be. 

CQ -- that is really far away!  My friend is at least in the same state as her husband.  That would be hard.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

It really wouldn't be any harder than what I'm having to deal with now (my job). But, at least my sons are grown and I don't have to be here to take them to football practice, etc. like I did when they were younger.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That's a good point.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I know that's a good point (reading about everything else that's going on in this world) but I would still miss those days.. my MIL keeps telling me to wait for grandchildren...not going to happen again (we already have two sons even though we wanted a daughter...we're not trying again for a child....chances are, he or she would be a Down's Syndrome child because of my age)...Plus, my brother has scared my sons to death when it comes to moving on in life...

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on April 10th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.