ISSUES WITH SELF CONTROL - NEED HELP

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
JEM

ISSUES WITH SELF CONTROL - NEED HELP

Post by JEM »

The first 3 weeks being on LDL seemed very easy for me.  I had a lot of self control. Sugary treats and bread and past/rice just didn't appeal to me.  Now in my 5th week, I am finding that control is slowlyslipping.  I occassionally will eat something bad for me, though not as much as before, but I can no longer seem to go one day without cheating here and there.  Please help me.  Is anyone else out there going through the same thing or have experience the same?  I can't understand why all of a sudden the control switch has been turned off?  Tips and advise appreciated.

JEM
Never let 'em see you sweat!
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Re: ISSUES WITH SELF CONTROL - NEED HELP

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi JEM,

Yes hon I can totally relate to what you are saying.  I am here for my second time.  The first time here I lost 85 pounds on LDL.  I was craving free and for 14 months NOTHING and I mean NOTHING went into my mouth that wasn't LDL approved.  Then I hit a really hard bump in my life and I began using food to medicate my feelings.  Actually I think part of it was that I was not loving me as I had been before as well.  In any event, over a two year period I gained it all back.  So I'm going to tell you what I believe to be true.  I know it was for me and maybe it is for you too.

First of all, everytime I put something in my mouth that was off plan I set myself up for cravings.  So if I had like three days under my belt eating LDL and then I ate off plan, well I was putting myself right back at square one as far as cravings go.  It's been my experience and I know others have shared this as well, that it takes seven days to completely get rid of your cravings on LDL.  So if I put something in my mouth that's not on plan, then my body is going to do what it always does and that's crave.  While you are in this phase, and really throughout the rest of your life, if you are craving then eat something to kill that craving.  For example, if it's sugar, eat fruit, or one of the many LDL desserts on the boards.  Have you tried the pumpkin pie?  YUMMO!  If it's bread then eat beans, corn or peas.  The trick is to trick your bod into thinking it's getting what it's craving.  Our bodies can't tell the difference when we feed them beans instead of bread or fruit instead of sugar as far as being satisfied goes.  They CAN tell the difference in how they process those foods though and that's why it works. 

My very best advice for you is to begin again and make sure you are eating until full all the LDL foods you want whenever you want them.  What is so hard to understand about LDL at first is that we must FIRST rid ourselves of the cravings.  EVEN if that means that we are eating more calories or more volume of food than we are used too.  Once the cravings are under control, then the body just naturally starts wanting less and less food.  I don't know what you've been eating, but it's really really important to make sure you are eating enough food.  Make sure that you are eating until you simply can't eat anymore at first.  I know it sounds crazy but it really really works!

Please don't beat yourself up or feel like you are a failure in some way.  Your problem with food isn't because you are a bad person or you have no self control.  It's simply that your body responds to food like so many other people.  It craves.  This is a physiological problem, not a mental one hon.  We are all here for you and you can do this!  *HUGS*  Hop back on the train hon.  Love yourself and know that you are TOTALLY worth it!!!  :D

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by julie409 »

Jem, Press reset, read the book again, go shopping and cook a TON of LDL favorites and munch away. Make believe you never started and go forward.

Stay with us! Julie :rose:
JEM

Post by JEM »

Thank you both of you.  I have reset and hopefully will not suffer anymore setbacks.  I thank you for the encouragement and advise, especially to you, LP. What you said definitely is very true in my case.

JEM
ginney

Post by ginney »

As for me, I am taking this "One day at a time!"  Every morning I wake up, I thank God for getting me thru the day before and ask him to help me make the right choices for today.  Seems to be working.  I can't think real long term.  I just figure out what I am going to do for the day and that helps me. 
I know we are to plan for the week, but for now, I am just seeing each day.  I will get there. 

By the way, I just got back from my doctor appointment.  I had a check up with the oncologist.  I had breast cancer surgery on July 27, 2007.  My blood work was 'perfect' she said and I don't have to go back for another six months.  I last saw her in December and, I am proud of myself in that I have officially lost 32 pounds since my last visit.  She is really proud of me too and said keep up the good work.  Although it was not all lost with LDL, I have changed my ticker, for my benefit, to show everything I have lost. 
LDL is the best, I thank God he has led me here and I also thanked him for another "cancer-free" appointment. 

I am sooooooooooo blessed, praise God!  :angel:
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

OOOOOHHHH Ginney,

That is such wonderful news!  I am so happy for you!  *hug* *hug* *hug* *hug* *hug*

Please post this in a separate topic so that the rest of us can celebrate with you!!! We all need to hear this great news.

Julie :rose:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I'm so happy for you both!!!  :D

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Ginny M. »

Thanks, Jem, for posting this.  I was thinking the same thing.  I've done well for about 4 weeks and this past week I have been CRAVING CHOCOLATE (Hi, My name is Ginny and I'm a Chocoholic  ;) )  I have had a candy bar in the freezer under my water jugs and managed to resist it until this week  :'( .  I opened it, had a couple bites only  :) and put it back  :D .  It seemed to satisfy (along with the baggie of frozen grapes I was also eating  :D )  I was proud I could "taste" and put it away.  But I was craving chocolate again yesterday. :'(  I ate frozen grapes and purchased cold watermelon and they helped.  :D  The chocolate is still in the freezer.  :D

So, we'll hang in there together  *hug* and keep going.  :D

Ginny
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Ginney, I'm with you, Girl!  It's one day at a time.  But, we can do this!  :)

*hug*
Ginny
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Give the chocolate away and keep on going.

There are a lot of fruits that are really sweet and taste especially good frozen and may satisfy your sweet tooth.  :thumbsup: Some you can also puree after freezing like Bananas - it actually tastes better than ice cream to me.  Frozen Watermelon makes a great slushi. Frozen cantaloupe took me a real long to eat and so filled my up and Roger's fav, Frozen grapes, are also satisfying. Just remember to freeze in quantities that you can eat. And remember to put the frozen grapes back in the freezer if you do not finish them. I forgot and they turned BROWN and mushy - yuck :thumbdown:

LP is right - eat until you are full and the cravings will go away.

(Men - you are entering the Ladies Room - be warned!)

If you are 3 weeks in, could the cravings for chocolate have to do with your cycle?  Are you also craving salt? 

Julie :rose:
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

I LOVE *love* my Salt.  Always have.  And gotta have it on corn & beans (since a child).  Haven't had to worry about the monthly for over 10 years and never felt the ghost effect.  I'm just a Chocoholic!  :'(  But the last couple of years my body has been changing and I can't eat Chocolate like I did before (a few pieces and that's more than enough) but I am even kicking that with fruit  :D .
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

I DO eat lots of fresh sweet fruit (watermellon, ripe bananas, pineapple, grapes, peaches & golden raisins) and  I feel if I eat another bite of pineapple or another raisin I will be :sick: .  But I Still crave Chocolate Candy  :sad: .  My mouth and brain remember the "Taste" of the milk chocolate.  I have resisted, but it sure has been hard.  LP gave me a recipe for a chocolate crave cure, I'll think I will try it.  This is the only Craving I have.  By the way, do you know how Many  :'( commercials are on TV for Chocolate Candy?  Way toooooo many  :sad: .  But, I'm hanging in there  :) .

Ginny
granalin
New, but learning

Post by granalin »

L.P., I appreciate what you replied to Jem. I feel so unworthy when I mess up which happens frequently.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Granalin,  I just answered you on another post I had.  LDL (or any other program) takes a little planning. 

Try to keep a small box or 2 of raisins in your purse.  Keep corn thins or freeze-dried fruits that don't have sugar on them (I found some at Walmart . . . read the ingredients. . . and then ordered them from the company . . . www.brothersallnatural.com . . .)  I think I have as much food in my car as I have in the house  :D  If you know you will be gone, pack some fruits in containers and take them with you.  Or a bag of popcorn already popped.  I've taken fruit and ate it in the car before going into dinner with a group. 

Some of the cravings for chocolate is mental  (yes, I'm a "mental" case  *woot* , just ask my DH, but that's another story).  I'm not hungry and if I eat anything sweet I swear I'll be sick  :sick: but my brain wants it.  Honestly, I don't know how long or "if" the brain will give it up.  If you can't take it, have eaten sweet fruits (raisins and pineapple are really sweet) and still give in, at least get back on LDL IMMEDIATELY.  Also, DON'T have it in the house.  If you have to go out to get it, you may not want it so much.

Keep us posted.  We're here to help you.

*hug*
Ginny
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Ginny, I use to have such horrible cravings for chocolate and so much that I kept instant chocolate drink mix and low fat milk for my fix.  :D  After research I found that I was needing extra magnesium and began to take it.  I have not had any more chocolate cravings ever!  :thumbsup:

I love your idea for a stash in the car.  Emergencies have left me without any LDL food and I am going to give it a try.  Thanks!

I wanted to tell you what happened to me regarding soy in case you are eating it so you know what to watch out for.  My doctor recommended I drink soy milk so I did.  I developed very bad allergies and then eczema and became sick.  It was the soy!  I had to go on steroids, etc. to get better.  I stay away from all soy now!  Another story is a friend of mine has a little boy that began crying and having very emotional outburst and melt downs over everything.  I was very worried about him and started to ask questions of his daily schedule which included food.  I discovered he was drinking soy milk every day.  I told them about all of the warnings of soy and so they stopped drinking it.  Now the boy is a stable happy child.  Most people don't realize all of the soy they are eating especially if purchasing processed foods.  I make bread for my DH so he doesn't have to purchase store bought soy loaded bread since he still has to have his occasional bread.

Granalin, don't give up or beat yourself up.  When you get knocked down pull yourself up by your bootstraps which in this case is LDL foods!  :thumbsup:
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
JEM

Post by JEM »

Granalin, don't feel bad about it.  Nothing in life is ever perfect, eating plan included.  Just keep restarting and keep telling yourself you need to really take better care of your body and what you put in it.  I too used to be such a chocoholic, but these days I find that I don't enjoy them as much as I used to. I can have chocolates any time I want to, I just choose not to have any.  I think if we start thinking that way, it becomes so that we are in control of what we eat, not let food craving control us.  So if you feel like you're craving for something, just keep telling yourself "I'll have it later" and that later will turn into tomorrow, and next day, and so forth.  That's how it is with me when I am craving for artificially sweetened foods or pasta or pizza or even fast food.  I hope this helps you somewhat.
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

On LDL I do have problems with chocolate cravings because I just don't care for fruit. I do eat the dried fruit sometimes (with no sugar added) but that, too, does not take away the chocolate cravings when I have them. I'm not overly fond of dried fruit, either. In the beginning I did eat fruit because it was supposed to take away chocolate cravings, but it really didn't, so I thought, why stuff myself with fruit if I don't like it?

So I have tweaked the program so I can have chocolate and still lose. Maybe I shouldn't even be telling this, because someone else may gain weight if they do it my way. I won't go into any details to lead anyone astray!  :stop:

When I said in an earlier post that sometimes I had to tweak the program so I could lose, this is what I meant. It works for me. Not all bodies are the same. Use extreme caution before adding any foods that are not LDL approved.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

SweetRose,

Don't feel guilty because the fruit hasn't taken care of your craving for chocolate (what little fruit you do eat). It's not going to because it's not the sugar that you're craving from the chocolate in the first place. Chocolate releases endorphins and serotonin (your brain's feel-good neurotransmitter) and curbs your craving for fat which is a good thing. It reacts in the brain pretty much like Mary Jane (cannabis). But, there have been studies that have proven that if you eat chocolate on a full stomach, it's not so much appealing as it is on an empty stomach. So, try eating chocolate after a meal and see if you're able to wean yourself from it.

By the way, one ounce of dark chocolate (70% or higher three times a week) is actually good for your health. It has a lot antioxidants.

CQ