Livet (not Diet)

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Livet (not Diet)

Post by crickadoodle »

I've been following LDL for about a month and have lost 10 lbs.  More importantly, I have found what I've been hoping existed, an eating plan I can live with and be healthy on.  I've been looking for a "Livet" not a "Diet" and I know I've found it.  I told someone the other day that not only do I in no way feel deprived on this eating plan (refuse to say "diet"), but I realize that I was deprived before.  I was deprived of enjoying all the wonderfully tasty fruits and vegetables God has given me to enjoy.  I was deprived of all the colors.  I was deprived of feeling better.  I want to be stronger, more flexible and have more stamina.  After a week or so of eating the LDL way, I added some strength training to my plan.  Then a week ago today, I began walking again.  I actually started at 50 minutes in the morning and it feels so great.  I have more energy to do other things that I need to do. 

My life has changed recently in that after having taught at a Christian school for 24 years, I am taking a year's sabbatical to care for my 83 yr. old mom who lives with my husband and me.  She has had two surgeries this past month and now has a colostomy.  She also is diabetic and suffers from mild dementia.  I can see how the Lord guided us in making the decision for me to stay home next year.  I just felt that I was doing neither of my jobs (teacher or daughter) the way I could feel good about doing them.  You only have so much time in a day, and needless to say, I was stressed.  Well, it is next to impossible to lose weight under such stress.  I don't have an extreme amount of weight to lose.  My first goal is 25 lbs. and then I think 10-25 more lbs. should come off after that in time.  I plan to continue eating this way, because it is so good!!  We'll see where it leads as far as weight loss is concerned. 

I have no problem with going out to eat with my husband and friends who aren't eating the LDL way.  There have been 2 times where I really could find nothing that I wanted to eat that followed the program.  I drank iced tea with lemon and just said, "I'll eat fruit when I get home."  I knew I had some delicious, colorful treats waiting for me!  I stressed to our friends to not feel bad for me, because I didn't feel bad for myself.  Truly.  I enjoyed the company.

I think one reason I really don't feel deprived is because the last "diet" (can't call it a "livet") I ever did and lost weight on was the South Beach Diet.  I love fruit, and you really can't eat very much of it on that plan.  In my mind, fruit came to be a bad thing.  Can you imagine??  Deep down I knew there was something wrong with that thought, but I did lose weight.  Now that I'm doing LDL, I find that I can truly enjoy fruit to my heart's content.  I picked the perfect time of the year to start this plan.  There is such variety out there this summer.  Just hoping I can feel as good about my choices when the winter rolls around.
sval59

Re: Livet (not Diet)

Post by sval59 »

Welcome to the boards!  Sounds like you're off to a great start with a great attitude.  I ate LDL foods all winter and loved it the entire time.  I can't ever imagine going back to eating all the bad stuff!  Keep coming to the boards to share your progress.

Cheryl
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I know what you mean when you call eating this way "Livet".  I have finally found something that I can live with and be content and happy about it.
Welcome to LDL and the train to Skinnytown.

Martha
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Very well said, Crickadoodle!

It is a totally new, and very welcome experience to not ever feel frustrated or deprived on this livet! I didn't know it was possible, and I am so thankful I found this plan! I know I can live with it for a lifetime, and be happy, healthy, vibrant, and not forever struggling to find a way to be slim. It will come in its own time -- and I will enjoy the process. I never feel regret that I can't have something not on the plan, and I have not once looked forward to the day when I'll be off the diet and able to eat something that is currently forbidden.

Like you, I love fruit. I briefly tried South Beach, but couldn't give my complete devotion to a plan that doesn't allow much fruit. I never even considered Atkins for this very reason. For a girl who grew up in the country, this is a taste of heaven! While I am loving all the fresh, seasonal fruits and vegies, I have no worry about finding good choices -- either fresh or frozen -- when winter comes. Besides, it will make us anticipate and appreciate next summer all the more!

God bless in your new full-time role of caring for your mother. You will never regret a single moment of the time you devote to her. My hubby and I had planned for my mother to live with us after my father passed away, but she died very quickly from a sudden and unexpected heart attack. She was facing hip replacement surgery, and I really think in her heart she didn't want to do it, even though the procedure now is so much better than it used to be. That was nearly 3 years ago, 4 years since my father's death, and I still miss both of them.  We had really been looking forward to having my mother live with us. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to be full time caregiver for your mom. It may not be always easy, but it will always be a blessing.

Terri
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Livet!  :laughing:  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!  Thank you for sharing and welcome to LDL!!  :rose:

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks, everyone.

Terri, so sorry about your losses.  I lost my dad 21 years next week, and I think of him often.  Growing up I was much closer to him than to my mom, so I guess God knew who I needed to spend extra time with.  Some days are harder than others.  Today started off rough, with the colostomy bag sort of bursting and causing quite a mess as you can imagine.  I cleaned Mom up and the sheets, her night gown and other stuff.  Poor Mom just doesn't remember things well anymore.  Later today I asked her if she remembered what happened this morning, and she hadn't a clue.  I told her what happened and it didn't even cause her to remember.  She is just so lost sometimes.  She'll ask me, "What am I supposed to be doing?"  She does so much better when other people are around.  It's like she's her old self.  When it is just her and me, she seems so cloudy in her thoughts.  Anyway, I know I'm doing the right thing by staying home this upcoming school year.  I think they are starting up next week.  After 24 years, it is a bit weird to not be preparing.  On the other hand, I like having the extra time at home to devote to my husband and mom.  Also, I can cook delicious bean soups and take walks and get some exercise in each day. 
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Welcome to LDL.  You have such an awesome attitude!  I will pray for your mom and whole family. 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Dear crickadoodle,
With all that you have on your agenda I am so glad you found LDL......something good for yourself as well as your family. 
My husband also has a colostomy and suggested I let you know about the website he goes to, if you don't already know it.
It's a message board forum of the United Ostomy Associations of America, Inc.

General Ostomy Discussion:  (the page he goes to the most)
http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php ... 4b819ee501

The home page board index:
http://www.uoaa.org/forum/index.php

Ostomy FAQ:
http://www.uoaa.org/ostomy_info/faq.shtml

UOAA List of Affiliated Support Groups:
http://www.uoaa.org/supportgroups.shtml

You have a great attitude..........love that you call this Livet, not diet.  No doubt your attitude will also help you, your husband and your mom through all this.  My dh (dear husband) has a great attitude too.  He named his "sidekick" Harold.  When Harold makes unsolicited noise in public he just calls him on it saying "Harold!"  This lessens embarrasement but my dh knows Harold has gotta do what he's gotta do and is taking care of business.

I know God does not give us more than we can handle.  You are a very special lady.
Feel free to ask any ostomy questions through here or a pm.  Dh and I will help if we can.
You are all in our prayers.
mrsj
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thank you so much.  I didn't know about the site and will check it out tomorrow.  It was a rough day -- mainly because it is hard watching your parent go down like this.  Last year at this time Mom was still driving and volunteering at the hospital.  She just was so disoriented before bedtime tonight.  It's just very sad to observe.  My siblings live away and they don't see it day to day.  It can be very hard to see.

We're still getting used to this colostomy.  It gets easier as I get used to it.  It is strange, but sometimes Mom looks so surprised when she sees it, like, "What's this thing?"  Poor thing. 

Well, the nurse comes tomorrow and also the aide that bathes her, so she'll get visitors.  It really helps when others are around.  She depends so much on me and doesn't act the same around others.  She is more like her old self with others around or when they call. 
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Crick, I am watching my mom go down hill too, so I empathize with you right now. A lot of my siblings are out of town too.  Its very hard to be my dad's support system through all of this.  My mom is in a nursing home because she can't walk and is to heavy for us to lift her.  She gets "mixed up" sometimes in the afternoons, much better in the mornings. There is a real name for this, called sundowners syndrome.  Anyway, I will keep you and your precious mom in my prayers!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Thanks so much, Kathie.  Just seems the past couple of days she's been more confused than usual.  She's always asking me, "What do I do?"  It's so easy to lose patience.  It isn't so much with her, though.  It's like I get frustrated that I can't change the situation for her.  I try to soften my voice when I feel this frustration, because I know she can't help it. 

Thanks for your prayers. 
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi  Crickadoodle
I've just started about 2 weeks ago and am down about 5 lbs. I find this to be the feel good diet.

I also take care of my mother, she's 83.  She had a stroke about 2 1/2 years ago which affected her balance and lost the use of right arm.  For the last two years my husband and I live with her. I quit working so I could take care of her. Sometimes it gets very frustrating. I cook, clean( hired some help once a month) help her dress, undress, go to the bathroom give a bath and every day if we don't go out for coffee she gets really nervous and irratable.  This stroke has also affected her talking ability.  She will know the word she wants to say but an entirely different word will pop out, so she doesn't visit at coffee. I guess its just the getting out of the house.  We can only leave her alone for maybe an hour or two in case she falls.  I have a sibling that doesn't live that far away but is no help,  only was here once in the 2 years for about 2-3 hours.
It does sound like a lot of people take care of their parents in their homes and thats a good thing just wish for a few days off sometimes.
Thanks for the advice about softening your voice cause it is very easy to lose patience.  jj
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Hi, JJ,
  Don't lose heart.  I know what you mean about how you'd love some time off.  I hate pressuring anyone to help out in that way, so I hardly ever ask.  I have a married nephew who has come with his wife a couple of times so my husband and I could do something together.  I'm trying to get a list of sitters who I can call on.  My husband wants to go on a trip with some good friends in October and I told my sister who lives away about it.  She doesn't work outside the home and her kids are away in college, so she is going to come.  With Mom having the colostomy, I just feel it made it a little bit harder to get away for overnight things.  My brother came in from away when she was in the hospital last time.  Once we knew she was OK from the surgery she had, we took the opportunity to get away for a night in New Orleans.  (We live in Louisiana.)  It was a much needed break for us and did a lot to revive us.  I have awesome siblings, but they live far away.  I did let them know I will need breaks sometimes and they do want to help.  Like you, I quit my job to care for Mom.  I was a teacher for 24 yrs.  Right now I'm saying I took a year long sabbatical, because I hope I can go back next year.  To do that, I'll need to find a couple of sitters I can trust to care for her while I'm at school.  It does add stress to your life.
  I also can leave for an hour or so to do things like grocery shopping.  Even these little breaks are a bit refreshing.  I'm so sorry about your mom's stroke.  My mom can do some things physically for herself, but gets disoriented and needs directions for the simplest things sometimes.  Then other times she's close to being her old self.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Just an update to my personal testimony on LDL.

I have reached according to the BMI chart -- normal weight.  :D

I am at the high end of normal, and I still have more to lose.  I am rather small boned.  Anyway, it is a small milestone. 

I am losing about 3 lbs. a week since I started eating just fruit for breakfast and dinner.  This is a faster rate of losing than at the beginning of LDL, which is a first for me.  All other plans I've followed had me lose a good amount in the beginning and it was so very slow.  I think my metabolism is getting much higher.  I am enjoying trying different recipes and find them so satisfying and delicious.

I am still walking at least an hour every morning.  I think this helps the metabolism too.  I also work out on our Total Gym 3 times a week.  Muscle is very important.  All these choices are giving me the greatest success I've ever had in losing weight. 

I really felt it was impossible and I'd always be overweight.  It had just gotten so hard to lose.  Any loss was hard to maintain.  I'd just about come to accept this as permanent.  Now, I'm really finding this so easy.  I am so happy I stumbled onto this way of eating.  :D
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Crick, way to go!  Its time for a happy dance to celebrate your success!

julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

crickadoodle wrote:  I am so happy I stumbled onto this way of eating.   :D

My dear doodlebug,

You did not stumble, you were lovingly carried to this place bc you were ready to receive the blessing of it!  :angel:

*hug*
Julie :rose:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, Julie, you are right!  It was a Divine Appointment for me to find that First magazine on the chair next to where I sat in the hospital waiting room.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

It's been 2 months and I've lost 20 lbs.  This is 1/2 way to my goal of 40 lbs.  My husband started about a week ago and has lost 10 lbs. already.  I say I'm glad I have a 2 month head start on him, as I'm sure he'll pass me up in no time.  Anyway, I've never had this kind of success before with any other eating plan.

Also, I noticed this very important part of it.  I remember "dieting" in the past and one very bad side effect is a grumpy mood from feeling like I was sacrificing or deprived.  I never have a bad mood from this.  It is controlling the blood sugar level so much that you don't have those dips that bring on the bad mood.  Also, I am not sacrificing.  I'm eating delicious, healthy food that is so good for me.  I'm losing weight at a faster rate than ever I remember and I feel great and I don't have a martyr complex.  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you are contemplating getting started on this, come on and get started.  It really will change your view of eating.  I call it a livet and not a diet because I really can live with this.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I found my old thread and what a blessing it was to remember where I've come from!  I still feel so blessed to have found this way of eating.  Now that I've reached the goal I set, I have realized that this way of eating is about so much more than just losing unwanted pounds.  I have found so much more.  I feel so much better.  I am more confident.  I have a happier husband who is also losing weight with this new way of eating.  I have a new way of thinking about food and eating.  I have been set free from something that has really hindered me from being my best.  I have been able to share this way of eating with others who want the same freedom. 

I think what has worked well for me was that I basically ate fruit for breakfast and fruit for dinner and a big lunch of lean meat, veggies and bean soup.  I stayed away from all grains -- including popcorn, while I was losing.  I eat popcorn now and am maintaining fine.  I also changed my sleeping habits and made a point of getting enough sleep.  De-stressing your life is so important.  Stress makes you gain weight and surely weakens your resolve to eat right.  I also got in a walk most days.  I aimed for an hour long walk -- not only giving me exercise, but relieving stress.  I exercised on a Total Gym for strength 2 - 3 days a week.  All of these things contributed to my success in reaching my goal of losing 40 lbs. in 5 months. 

I also started using Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for all cooking toward the end of reaching my goal.  I intend to continue using this.  I plan to eat this way from now on.  I want to try a month or so of just fruit for breakfast and dinner with no popcorn to see just how low it will take me, but am very happy with where I am right now.  God is very good to have guided me to this way of eating and I give Him all the glory for my success.  I feel because of it, I can serve Him so much better. 

Also, I just want to say to anyone who is thinking about beginning Let's Do Lunch in the New Year, give it a try.  I can honestly say that I was skeptical when I began, but within a month I knew it would work.  I've never found anything to work so well as LDL.  I haven't been deprived and I haven't felt like a martyr.  I have felt very satisfied with the food I ate -- both in feeling full and in enjoying the taste.  That's why I call it a LIVEt and not a DIEt.  I can live with LDL for my lifetime, not just use it to lose weight.  I will maintain with it too.

OH --  Back when I started this WOE it was summer and I wondered what I'd do for fruit in the winter, but I am enjoying the abundance of citrus, pineapples, grapes, cherries -- lots of great fruit are available to me right now.  Oh, and the pears I've gotten are really tasty too!
So, I hope my story helps someone to start this wonderful way of eating and find the success I've found.  No matter if you struggle with 10 lbs., 40 lbs. (like me) or over 100 lbs. -- this really does work!  You won't experience success if you never get started, so just try it for 3 months and see how easy it is to do. 
Last edited by crickadoodle on December 29th, 2009, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Doodlebug,

You never waivered after making the commitment to LDL. It has been a great pleasure to ride with you for part of the way. I am really happy that you reached beyond your goal and can serve as an inspiration to others.  *hug*

Thanks for coming on to share your story and to check in on us who are still moving toward our goal!

Julie :rose: