i am new member

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: i am new member

Post by crickadoodle »

Pam's advice is great.  I remember someone once saying here that they didn't want to lie to someone when asked to eat something, so they said, "I'm allergic."  And they rationalized it as not lying, because they are allergic, that food makes them fat!  It's funny how people take what you eat so personally sometimes.  I'm having a little bit of a problem now that I'm at my good weight.  People will comment with, "You're not still losing weight, because you've lost enough!"  I just tell them that if they'd see what I eat, they wouldn't worry about me at all.  I am in no way anorexic.  It's funny how that everyone who is concerned about me losing too much weight is overweight themselves.  I am a very healthy weight and feel better than I have in years.  I haven't been losing any more weight and have been like in a 5 lb. area for months now.  Sometimes those comments can mess with your head, though.  (I am small boned, though, and I think that might be why some people say that to me.  Maybe?)

So, Mike, in the beginning, it is the hardest time for functions like you are going to.  It'll get easier.  I remember going out to eat with friends when I saw nothing on the menu that I really cared to eat.  I just ordered iced tea with lemon and ate when I got home.  I told my friends to please not feel sorry for me.  I enjoy their company and am glad to spend time with them.  I had some delicious fruit waiting for me at home and I'd surely do fine not eating for a little while, while I visited with them.   Eating beforehand is a really good thing to do, though.  You won't have room for the bad stuff.  You are so going to love the results that come from LDL.  My nephew is now eating this way, as is his wife.  He is about 5'8" and was over 200, but is now in the 180s and is looking like his old self.  I'm so glad to see others follow in this way of eating.  It is so healthy and slimming.  

Oh, and stay away from the high fructose corn syrup or plain old corn syrup.  I see you are finding out that they sneak it in everything!

Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!
Last edited by crickadoodle on May 6th, 2010, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kat2455
New, but learning

Re: from mike, day 4

Post by kat2455 »

Vickilynn...Wendy...Pam...and Crickadoodle (sorry..didnt see your first name)

I appreciate all your writing..my wife is supportive, however...not on the program...she could benefit from a 30 lb weight losss.but her decision..love her anyway...

she knows I binge..she knows that I cannot stop...she didnt really know how to help me...we looked into local groups..but I was too embarrassed...its hard to say...I have a problem...sometimes I wished it was alcohol instead..(it seems more acceptable and understandable) but my problem is with food. I am a food--addict....and I had to learn to admit it to myself....but all along I knew there was a real problem.

my doctors told me, after a ordered heart stress test, and blood work...that if i wasnt already with heart disease..i am really close....and they had me do another test...and my pulse rate was too high...and I had..had chest pains...so now I make a change...the book got me started..

as for the advice on the mothers day event..that sounds great...I thought pam was very insightful. (and like cricket said) I dont want to lie about it. I have been lying to myself for years.(about my health and problem with food). I want to stop that madness...

I like the idea of filling my plate with ldl foods..then it will look like i have plenty...and they wont point it out that I dont have a lot on my plate and soforth.
On this board..i noticed someone wrote (WOE)...anyone knows what that stands 4? Thank you all once again..I appreciate you all....mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Mike (WOE) is Way of eating...also (EVOO) Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (CT) Corn Thins....

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

It took me forever (months) to figure out what WOE was ....  :laughing:
rgfd401

Post by rgfd401 »

Welcome ABOARD Mike!!!!!!

TIM
kat2455
New, but learning

Re: from mike...day 4

Post by kat2455 »

Thanks Deborah...Bethann, and Tim

I wondered about WOE....now I know..! :teeth:

I wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on sea-weed salad...is it good on the ldl lifestyle?

Also,...do most of you exercise? or not really....I would like to after about 10 lbs off...

What has been the hardest thing for all of you so far?

Also,...if you go to a party...and someone says...I made it especially for you...and you know you cant have it..but dont want people to know you are on a diet..how do you answer this...

I have peer pressure issues..

thanks
mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
jjelli

Post by jjelli »

Hi Mike,
Good luck!  If you can stand having it on your plate, take the food especially made for you,  thank them,  wander off  then ditch the stuff...  It's not very nice to do that (would hate to have the giver find out) but on the other hand it's not nice for them to force it on you.    jj
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Mike, I do exercise and feel it really helped me a lot with my weight loss.  I teach a class now at my church to help others lose weight.  I start with the LdL way of eating, then I go on to how important adequate sleep and reducing stress is to weight loss.  My third class is about how to increase your metabolism.  Well, exercise is important (but not necessary to lose weight) as it does reduce stress and it helps you sleep better.  Also, aerobic exercise speeds up your metabolism in the short run.  The best time to exercise is early in the morning before you eat breakfast -- but best isn't always what you are able to do.  If you are able to do it first thing, you have the benefit of an increase in metabolism all day long.  Strength training -- muscle building exercise increases your metabolism in the long term.  As I studied about it, I saw clearly that as we age our metabolism decreases at the same rate as we lose muscle mass.  It is clear that men lose weight faster than women -- and likewise they also have a higher % of muscle mass. The good news is that we can reverse muscle loss!  So, I really encourage my students to consider adding muscle building exercises to their exercise routine -- 2 to 3 times a week.  Your body needs a day or two to repair the little tears you make when doing strength training.  That's how muscle is built, in the repairing of the tears.  So don't strength train every day -- you won't get the desired results.  Rest a day or two in between.

Anyway, some (women especially) are afraid of building muscle -- but it is truly a good thing.  I am by no means a muscle bound woman and I don't think I could be if I tried.  I was growing weaker and weaker in my 40s -- even though I was walking 5 miles a day, at one point.  I have grown in strength over the past few years, since adding strength training.  Additionally, muscle takes up less room than fat -- so you can appear to weigh less, even if you gain muscle weight.  Compare a lb. of feathers to a lb. of lead.  The lead takes up much less space than the feathers.  Muscle takes up less space than fat -- so you are smaller.  Now, in my early 50s, I'm stronger than I was in my 40s and feel so much better. 

That could be more info than you wanted!  :D  Anyway, I love sharing what has worked for me.  You could find that you totally overcome your addiction to food with LDL.  I felt I was addicted too, but I really have overcome my cravings by eating lots of fruit and beans.  I stay away from grains, breads, pastas and especially HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).  That stuff is responsible for much of the obesity problem in our country -- it is in everything! 
Rhonda

Oh, I meant to say that I did all this in steps.  My first step was to get enough sleep and reduce the stress.  Then I found LDL.  Then I added the strength training and finally the walking.
Last edited by crickadoodle on May 6th, 2010, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Mike.

I really like jj's answer to what to do with the food pushers!  :thumbsup: I've also found that I can say "I've recently found that I have a _____ allergy/sensitivity." or "I've found I really don't tolerate _____ well at all." Even after losing 40 pounds and looking very healthy, some people look at me like I'm crazy if I say I don't eat grains any more. Be creative, be devious, but most of all, be true to yourself. I don't like disappointing people either, so I know where you're coming from.

I lost the first 40 pounds without exercising at all. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I realize that I am going to have to add some regular exercise to move the last 40 pounds. It's not that I don't like exercising, it's finding the time and making myself a priority.

It depends on the other ingredients in your seaweed salad. Seaweed, of itself, is a good, very healthy LDL food. A Chinese friend of mine makes the most delicious salad with shredded seaweed, but I don't try making it because I know I won't be able to duplicate it, and I don't want to be disappointed. There was a thread on earlier posts about cooking beans with a chunk of konbu sea vegetable to add flavor and decrease gas problems.

Enjoy your new LDL adventures!
Terri
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

kat2455 wrote:I appreciate all your writing..my wife is supportive, however...not on the program...she could benefit from a 30 lb weight loss.but her decision..love her anyway...

she knows I binge..she knows that I cannot stop...she didn't really know how to help me...we looked into local groups..but I was too embarrassed...its hard to say...I have a problem...sometimes I wished it was alcohol instead..(it seems more acceptable and understandable) but my problem is with food. I am a food--addict....and I had to learn to admit it to myself....but all along I knew there was a real problem.

Mike,

Does your wife eat any of the LDL lunches/dinners?  If so, she'll lose weight without even trying.  I started LDL because my husband had health issues caused by being overweight -- high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea.  Along the way I lost 28 lbs and I have never felt better.  Also, my husband lost so much weight that his blood pressure and cholesterol is now normal and his sleep apnea has improved to the point where he very seldom uses his BiPap machine.

A food addiction is no different from any other addiction.  It's admitting you have an addiction and then doing something about it that leads to an addiction-free life.  I know if you follow the LDL way of eating that your cravings will disappear while eating until full.  If you read Roger's story about what he ate in a day you'll come to realize that he also was a food addict and thanks to him (and he says God), we in LDL have a new life.  One that when we wake up in the morning feeling better than ever before, know that we made the right decision to embrace LDL.

Mother's day dinner will be just the first of many tests you will encounter along the LDL path. This first test is going to be a testament of how willing your are to put your hands in LDL and let it guide you to a new, healthier, and slimmer you!
Last edited by VickiLynn on May 7th, 2010, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kat2455
New, but learning

Post by kat2455 »

Thanks for writing all of you..I like what you were saying abou :thumbsup: and hope to find  a recipe I can incorporate. My wife does not eat the ldl way...Im afraid..but that doesnt mean after I have results...she wont start looking more at it...my wife really is perfect in my eyes...but would be better if she ate more correctly for health.

I was thinking about mothers day..I am getting more aprehensive as the days get closer to sunday. I have decided to put all of you in my pocket when I leave for that day to the party. Hope you all don't mind! :rolleyes:  I sometimes think to myself....be in control...its your life...your destiny....your road to choose....and when I wake up because of sleep apnea and have bad sleep....those friends of mine are not there to console me. So I need to stop the insanity...and there really are food pushers....but they dont really mean it. I often think they are like trying to get an alcoholic to drink when they try and offer me food that I shouldnt have. But no one really views it that way amongst my group...sorry for rambling...I am really just rationalizing this for myself in words....I have never done this purge before but it really seems to help... :sick:

I also started to get up at 5am to walk..that I can do...no pain on the knees....and at night before bed...walk more...it makes me feel better some time with nature...i really never took the time to do that...but its gods biggest gift to us..in my opinion..its so lovely the clouds..the blue sky..the birds churping...the greenery of the grass...the flowers...how I wish I had seen these more when I was growing up...even though they were there all along.
Anyway....thanks for reading...hope I wasnt off topic too much....mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

Mike,
You keep writing and sharing on these boards.....it's all good!!! And you will be fine on Mother's Day. You'll hear all of us cheering you on. This program is going to work for you, where all others have failed. I've only been on program for a week, but my blood sugars have dropped from 152 to 90 (this morning's reading). I'm thrilled with that.

Yesterday, my granddaughters (ages 14 & 16) wanted me to run them through Arby's after school. So they ran in to get their food, and when they came out, my oldest, Storm, said, "Mamaw, I brought you a surprise. I got you two of those chocolate chip cookies that you love so much! Happy Mothers, Day!". And do you know there was no temptation there for me? So I said, "Oh honey, thank you so much, but I'm trying to be good, and those are not good for me right now."...so she said, "OH, ok...then I'll eat them in your honor!" LOL....but I was kinda surprised that there was no inclination to eat them.

You will be fine. Can't wait to hear your report on Monday.

This WOE is going to save your life, Mike, and mine, too.

Blessings.

Beth M.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I love that he wasn't disappointed but just ate them in your honor.  How sweet.  Mike, how about that as a suggestion.  At the Mother's Day dinner, others can eat in your honor!  Maybe they need the calories more than you (maybe not, but that's another story.  You can only take care of yourself!).  Another way to handle those situations is to say that you are very satisfied now, but you'd like to take some home in case you want it later.  Of course, you won't "want" it later, but the maker of the fattening food doesn't need to know that.  Later, when you have visible success, I hope the food pushers will be less aggressive.  Maybe someone else will eat the food you took home.  Early on, I took home some cookies from a meeting, my grandchildren loved them!  We'll be thinking of you.  Pam
kat2455
New, but learning

Post by kat2455 »

Beth and Pam..
Thank you for writing. I actually find that checking in here a couple times a day...especially around meal time is helping me to strategize my meals...and keep in route my goals. I like Beth the story about the cookies...that is so much what I experience..but usually.I would eat the cookies (for example) not to hurt the feelings of the other. But in your case..it actually caused your child to feel honored to eat them on your behalf..what a great turnaround...and thats great..I will be having that story in my pocket as well.

I have been on this for 4 or 5 days...lost track of when I started exactly..I belive may 2nd....the day that the book LDL found me...I have never been so renewed...as after I read the story of Mr. Wilson. I needed something to really get me back on track...I went to the thrift store that day to see about buying some old music...that was my real goal..I then decided, they had a sale on the book section...to take a look....and the 3rd book that I saw was this one....it has a nice blue cover...with a great before and after photo...and I remember thinking that moment...this could be me.....but how?

2 years ago..I tried to apply for the show biggest loser. I was desperate...but when I arrived at the casting...they said too late...they were overfull of applicants....I even arrived a couple hours early....it was in Orlando Fl. Anyway...I felt like my chance had gone....There was no hope. I tried all the other diets..the ones where you buy the boxes that sit on the shelf...the one where you go to meetings for weigh ins...etc....and even cabbage soup and egg white diet...Yuck...by the way....

So, this is great...and all of your support is appreciated. I hope to be able to pass on this help to others when I am stable, and not in critical stage. Mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I know it seems slow and long but before long people will start commneting on how the weight loss is visiable and you will be so excited to tell them your story. Hang in there it will happen.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
cameron
Master Member

Post by cameron »

hi mike- I have the same situation on mothers day, so I will do what I always do, just load up on salads ,vegtables,& have a bit of the leanest meat that they have available at the brunch that we are going to. I also already know that they have fruit at the dessert bar, so I will have lots of that too. I love that I will not be craving the cake, pie,dinner rolls, and everything else that is not good for me. I think you will be surprised at how well you are going to do. This is a very freeing way of living. I have always had a problem with being obsessed with food too, and using food for comfort.I find that problem is much better now too. Honestly with what I was eating before, I cannot believe that I was only 25 lbs overweight, most people would have been 125 pounds overweight, I was  blessed with a very fast metabolism, so that meant I could eat mindlessly all day!!!
All the very best      CK
kat2455
New, but learning

Re: day 5

Post by kat2455 »

cameron and linda...thank you for those words...and the experience you too will have on mothers day..
that is great that it was only 25 lbs..in comparison to possibly 125..

as for me its more like 80lbs..I believe/// See, one of the problems I had was that I was not a big fruit eater..but I do like bananas...and do like vegetables..so I would have always reached for the chocolate cakes, and things of that nature.

Its 6am,...I walked at 5am..which in the past couldnt get up to do..but somehow...its like a little voice goes on in my head....come on mike..you can do this...get up.... so some how I do....and when I finished the walk...I feel at peace.

I was thinking about how I havent worn jeans since I met my wife about 8 years ago..because I dont fit into any ...and those few that I could get in...look terrible on me..Sometimes I joke....I look terrible on them... but not for that much longer..

and really...the most important part is the health aspect of it all...but somehow I really believe mental health of being at peace with oneself is very vital.

Anyway.I am purging thoughts again....so I will not overwhelm you kind people... have a blessed morning.

mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Purging thoughts is absolutely necessary, as those evil thoughts of "just one piece won't hurt or doesn't that taste good, have another" is what got us here. Changing thought life ALWAYS leads to changed behavior
Last edited by LINDA RN on May 8th, 2010, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

Mike,
I'm enjoying reading your posts. Please don't stop. It's good for you, and good for us. I know what you mean about jeans. I haven't been in jeans for over 25 years. That is one of my goals, to get in a pair again. I'm so tired of stretchy knit! Like I put at the bottom of my posts,  I finally have HOPE because I have found a way of eating that I enjoy, that is healthy (no guilt!), and I can do for the rest of my life. I've been on EVERY diet imaginable....to the point where you get so confused. Should I count fat grams, carbs, no fruit, should I do Nutrisystem, should I have bariatric surgery, etc? Whew....exhausting. I really feel that I've been set free ... I have FOOD FREEDOM and it feels so good. God bless Roger Troy for bringing this to us.

Blessings!
Beth M.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
kat2455
New, but learning

Re: day 5 for mike

Post by kat2455 »

Hi Beth and Linda, and all those reading this..

Linda...that statement of purging is very well received.. I often eat one bite, then another...and so forth...and then its like i've eaten the whole cake, or ice cream, or cookie box...so thinking things through...gaining control is vital homework.

What I can say further is that I am an emotional eater...but there are so many emotions from happiness...sadness..anxiety...anger....etc...so that practically is all the time, as Mr. Wilson states in his book...It was like he was talking to me...but obviously he was talking to all of us, and purging for himself perhaps as well...which seems to make us stronger.

Beth..Thank you for saying you like reading what i write. I was apprehensive about writing because my nature is to be private, and one of the problems I most have is that I need things perfect for the longest time. Perfect does not exist...and I had to learn that....and I always was helping others..without helping myself...I don't want to let others down.. I do not want to say no,...when no is the best answer for me. So I have decided not to use the spell check here...I don't want this to be perfect..I remind myself that I am not being graded on grammar or spelling...and I want to focus on my raw feelings, without editing them. This was not an easy decision for me to make..but it is part of my healing.

As you and I share the same story about wanting to wear jeans...I often think of the song by Neil Diamond..forever in bluejeans....once I am able to get back into them...I plan to stay...forever in blue jeans....lol...Anyway...I am going to close this off for a little while. I ate very healthy today....so far...one meal at a time...fondly...mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010