i am new member

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: i am new member

Post by LINDA RN »

Keep up the good work, you are doing great. Just wish others I know would embrace this as you and the others here have.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
tthso52

Post by tthso52 »

Dear Mike,
I understand your problems completely.  I was with my family in NC two weeks ago and ate and ate and ate.  Why?  Because it was offered to me.
Not wanting to hurt feelings....etc....etc....  Those feelings are not always the other people's fault.  A lot of times it is in our own heads.
Once the cravings are gone.  For me, they are pretty much gone already, PTL!  It will be easier and easier.
On that same trip is when my Sister first told me about LDL and how much it did for her.  She gave me her copy of the book and really raved about how easy it was.  So, when I got home I went out and bought a bunch of fruit and got started.  April 28th, I believe.
My biggest problem has always been, going out to lunch with my husband.  Just about every day.  I have been buying Nutri System since 8/2007.
It worked for me when I could stick to the plan.  But there was no room for going out.  LDL has been perfect for me because Lunch is the biggest meal of the day and I can go out to eat without guilt.  Today I ordered a hamburger.  Not something I would normally order.  But it came on a keiser roll and I was able to set aside the roll and eat the burger with a knife and fork.  I didn't even miss the roll!  I gave my husband the bag of chips that came with it too without hesitation!  This plan is wonderful for me and I will be telling everyone about it once the weight loss shows.
Terry

Restarted LDL on 2/7/11
3 weeks on LDL 2/28 -5#
3/31/11 -7#
kat2455
New, but learning

day 5

Post by kat2455 »

terry
thanks for writng..I appreciate your thoughts..I was on nutrisystem..but the food was not to my liking..so much salt...and like you said..you couldnt really go out and eat...and hard to go to friends home with a microwave box or cup.
Be careful about keeping the chips to your husband...my wife used to give me hers...and that also was a problem as I ate them, plus mine. However, maybe your husband doesnt have the purging problem I have and food addiction I have.
And not eating the bread is great...I have decided at restaurants I am going to ask them to bring the sandwich without the bread...I dont want the temptation at my table. I really feel my energy level increasing...tomorrow is the mothers day I am worried about..first outing socially on ldl....I have faith...and I have all of you praying for me...so I feel confident I can make it without issue.

I hope that you all have a wonderful moms day..whether a mom, or have a mom, or a wife who is a mom...or someone who treats you motherly..I hope I covered everyone on this..lol
mike
start date on ldl 5/2/2010
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: from mike, day 4

Post by CodingQueen »

kat2455 wrote:she knows I binge..she knows that I cannot stop...she didnt really know how to help me...we looked into local groups..but I was too embarrassed...its hard to say...I have a problem...sometimes I wished it was alcohol instead..(it seems more acceptable and understandable) but my problem is with food. I am a food--addict....and I had to learn to admit it to myself....but all along I knew there was a real problem.

Welcome to LDL! And, that Thrift Store find was definitely no accident. You had help. :angel:

Mike, I noticed you mentioned that you love to eat pickles. You also mentioned that you found out that your brand contained high fructose corn syrup. I'm sure if you went back and looked at everything that you were binging on probably contained it as well. It's not that you're a "food addict," you body was being tricked into thinking that it was still hungry. That's what that garbage does to us and why there are so many obese people. It's in almost everything that you'll find in the processed world.

Now, after eating the LDL way for a period of time, you shouldn't feel like binging anymore unless there is something hidden that you didn't notice on the label. Also, maybe it's time to take up a new hobby....pickling...or, maybe not :laughing: At least you'd know what's in it if you did. :thumbsup:

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Speaking of label reading, I decided to make another batch of Pizza Soup this weekend and in going over the recipe, I saw where little Mary recommended using the small red beans. I had been using Pintos. The generic Wal-Mart brands typically have less additives, so I grabbed several cans. Too late, I read the label before opening and Arggggg, there is added sugar in them. I did get a can from the Health Food Center, and it contains only Organic small red beans, water, and Kombu Seaweed. I'll buy those from now on. Canned black beans are the safest. Usually no other additives.

Read, read labels.....don't assume. A reminder to myself!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Yes, between the HFCS and MSG our world doesn't stand a chance to being healthy again unless we can spread this WOE to everyone. After reading Dr. Mercola's post regarding the the way MSG was being hidden in our foods by using other terms, it was amazing how many items I had to remove from the pantry. And, now that I've done so, I don't feel the cravings anymore.

My mother and I use to always go to a Chinese restaurant for lunch when we worked at the same hospital but we always felt hungry about two hours later. Had we known that it was the MSG then we probably would have gone to the French restaurant instead... :laughing: After all, what's the difference between fried rice and buttery croissants? Nothing! They're both fattening. :thumbdown:

But, now I make sure MSG is not in the Chinese food I'm eating by either making it at home or going to my friend's restaurant who doesn't use it. I'm sure she's not the only Chinese restaurant that has eliminated MSG from their cooking due to food allergies among their patrons. We just need to check before ordering.

CQ
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I only had 4 cans of them. Decided to rinse and use anyway since I only had one can of the organic. My reading glasses go whereever I go. I usually shop after work on my way home so the readers are on my head like a headband. If I happen to leave them in the car, I have to slide a contact off center of one eye to read. I have been nearsighted since I was about 7 yrs old, been wearing contacts for 40 years. I can deal with that. It is the on and off with the readers that drive me to distraction (I don't need to confess crazy). Really sorry that they can only correct the nearsightedness (that is easy to deal with) with sugery, but still can't correct farsightedness.  GRRRRRR *grrr*

Read labels, read labels, read labels until you can grow and make it yourself  :angel: :D
Linda

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

LINDA RN wrote:Canned black beans are the safest. Usually no other additives.

Read, read labels.....don't assume. A reminder to myself!

This is a good reminder to all of us to be vigilant, Linda.  Black beans can frequently contain LARD   :sick:

What is up with the food and beverage manufacturers constantly sneaking in harmful products into our food supply???

MIKE -- WELCOME TO LET'S DO LUNCH!  I see myself the way I felt two years ago in what you write.  Keep up the good work.  You are definitely on the train to SKINNYTOWN! 

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
kat2455
New, but learning

Post by kat2455 »

Hi Gwen and everyone
Well I made it thru the mothers day meal really well...but wanted to ask people about a few food items

1) are honey glazed carrots ok to have (pure honey and carrots as ingredients)

2) I know Mr. Wilson wants limit on dairy..but I like skim milk...is this going to hurt my ldl program

I would really appreciate insite on these 2 things...I seem a little bloated..but I believe it to be the milk..I ate really clean other than questioning the 2 items above.

By the way..the people did exactly what I thought...saying hey your plate isnt that full....having dessert? etc.

I just said...I am just satisfied, but thank you.

I exercised for 1 hour today. (walking only...its what my bad knees can handle now)

I really appreciate all the time you all take to help me. Mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Just be aware that honey is a sweetener and can cause blood sugar spikes increasing cravings for sweets. If you can eat it every once in a while and enjoy without setting off cravings or causing weight gain, then you could use it as an every once in a while. I believe Roger approves skim milk in small quantities. If you are bloated, try taking some probiotics.

Congratulations on making it through Mother's Day.
Linda

kat2455
New, but learning

Re: day 6 for mike

Post by kat2455 »

hi Linda

thanks for your info. Can you tell me what probiotics are..I have never heard of them...thanks
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Probiotics are a replacement supplement to restore the normal bacteria that is supposed to be in your digestive system. That bacteria is wiped out any time you have taken an antibiotic. Once gone, yeast will flourish which is why you bloat. Yeast feeds on carbs so anytime you get gassy eating beans, fruit, pasta, dairy etc, you are probably feeding the yeast which is fementing the food. I have been looking for an aticle Coding Queen posted but cannot find it. When I did a search on the boards, looked like I was mostly posting on probiotics because I saw how they helped my husband.

Here is a link to a recent article I posted about the additional benefits of probiotics:
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=8449.0

You can also do a general search on the web for lots of info on probiotics.
Hope this helps
Linda

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

Is this the one you were talking about?

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=8125.0

CQ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Mike.  Congrats on successfully making it through Mother's Day.  

Roger Troy believes it is not only the fat, but the milk sugars that cause milk to be fattening.  As you get your blood sugar stabilized and cravings under control, I think you will lose your attraction to skim milk.  It was hard to me to consider giving it up because I loved it, and it was not unusual for me to drink two quarts a day before starting LDL.  But I phased it out and now I rarely even think about it.  I don't even care if I put it in my coffee anymore.   Try to use as little as possible but don't stress out about it.

Linda is right about the honey.  If the carrots were already prepared, or processed, it's likely they contained much more honey than it would be good for you to consume in a serving.  If you fix them yourself, try to only use a teaspoon or so on a large serving, and stretch it out with a little Stevia.  I love them with a little Stevia, a squeeze of lemon juice, and ICBINB spray. (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)

Many people feel bloated and experience excess gas when starting Let's Do Lunch because of the huge increase in fresh produce and fiber consumption.  Beano is recommended if this is troublesome in the beginning.  The bloat should diminish rapidly as the components in processed foods (including yeast) work their way out of your system.  Many folks have been astonished by a noticable reduction in their waist size soon after starting LDL.  

Probiotics, and nutritional supplements in general, are not an endorsed part of Let's Do Lunch.  However, you should always follow your doctor's advice for your specific dietary requirements.
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 10th, 2010, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Thanks Mary!  Is it okay if I stick some red & purple feathers in my Food Police hat?

I frequently roast carrots along with squash and puree them together when I make your soup recipes.  Carrots improve the flavor and color of some of the lackluster squash varieties. 
ImageImage
kat2455
New, but learning

Re: day 6

Post by kat2455 »

hi
today I am having feelings of being lethargic....no energy....any thoughts what I can add to get more energy.(besides more sleep)..I started the day at 5am....and its 9pm.....but it started around 4pm
thanks
mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010
kat2455
New, but learning

day 7

Post by kat2455 »

Well, I feel a lot better now...am not lethargic as I was last evening...I weighed myself...even though I was going to wait one month..I had to see if there was a difference....7lbs down...weight 263.....so that is a blessing! Thanks to all mike
Michael
start date 5.2.2010