Smoothie Newbie

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
PedNurse

Smoothie Newbie

Post by PedNurse »

Please help!! I have alot of apples and oranges how do I make a smoothie with those two ingredients and what should I add?  Please any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!! Have a blessed day! :thumbsup:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wU2G9EY/]
tprouty
Master Member

Re: Smoothie Newbie

Post by tprouty »

Hi PedNurse.

Welcome to LDL!

You can cut up an apple and blend it with any kind of berries for a great, refreshing smoothie. Add some ice cubes or water to keep it moving in the blender. Also, a dash of cinnamon would be great. Apples and pears with a little grated ginger are a good combination, too. Bananas and pineapple also sound good.

Oranges and bananas are wonderful together (think Orange Julius). I like to freeze whole citrus fruits to make "ice cream." Take the fruit out of the freezer for a few minutes to thaw a bit, then cut into sections and the peelings will pull off easily. Put the citrus and some frozen banana chunks into a food processor, add a little water if needed to keep it moving, and maybe a splash of vanilla extract, and in a few minutes you'll have delicious ice cream -- with no guilt!

There are probably some other great ideas in the recipe section here. Also be sure to look under Healthy Treats.

Enjoy!
Terri
PedNurse

Post by PedNurse »

Thanks that helps so much!!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I had never made smoothies before LDL, but now I usually have one a day.  I mix all kinds of fruits.  Terri gave some great ideas.  I still feel, I'm cheating when I drink my smoothie.  It is still a treat for me. I think the smoothie was the reason that I have found success on LDL.  I love my fruits.  :thumbsup:  JF
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Joyful Friend, your post on the Breakfast foods thread reminded me of one of our favorite uses for apples when they're in abundance. Not a smoothie, but completely legal and delicious -- and perfect for Fall weather as it gets cooler (at least here in North Idaho). Apple pie without the crust! Just substitute apples (no need to even peel them) and a dash of cinnamon in the Blueberry Pie recipe:

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=5777.0

Wow, so good! Sauté or microwave, either one. I can't wait until the apples on our tree are ripe!

Thanks for the reminder!

Terri
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Terri, our apples are ripe here in Ohio.  They are soooo good.  I also sprinkle a few raisins on my apple pie. I got a bad of yellow delicious  from a local orchard last week.  Our trees here in the Ohio Valley are turning colors.  Fall is here.  *hug*  JF
Singforjesusmichele

Post by Singforjesusmichele »

Aweeeeeee you have fresh apples in your backyards! I'm dying........wow.........I think I have a clothes line and an umbrella in mine.....
Blessings! 
Michele in hula land
Michele
PedNurse

Post by PedNurse »

No apple trees in my yard.....but the grocery stores have plenty....lol too funny! :)
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I can get frozen fruits at the Dollar Tree. I get peaches, mango, strawberries and mixed berries. A few times I got blueberries, but haven't seen them in a while. I buy canned peaches and pears in pear juice that are a good base and the banana base is good with rinsed butterbeans. The protein stays with you a little longer. I also freeze oranges, bananas and small baggies with the butterbeans. Frozen grapes and pineapple chuncks are great too. Apples are good with 2 tsp of apple jc. concentrate, or try a little diet ginger ale for that subtle ginger taste. cinnamon and a dash of cloves are good with apples. Pick up a fancy gobblet at the thrift store and feast with the eyes as well as the tongue. Make a large amount and freeze half for a sorbet. Get creative =p~
Aloha, Leilani
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Oma- I christen thee "Smoothie Queen!"

Pam
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Pam, since you cristened my smoothie queen, I have been experimenting. Tonight I got off work late and got home at 9PM. Too late for a heavy meal so I had a fusion smoothie. Use bland veggies with your smoothie,
PEACH FUSION
1 banana and 1 small yellow squash,slice in coins} blend till smooth
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate and blend again
Add a 12 oz. bag of frozen sliced peaches and water if necessary to blend.
You can add stevia if you need it sweeter.
I promise you you can't taste the squash.

APPLE FUSION
1 apple with skin
1 cup left over baked spaghetti sauce.
Add cinnamon, ginger and a little cloves
1/2 cup concentrated apple juice.
Left over crushed pineapple in juice
Blend with enough water to process. Mine was like apple sauce which I enjoyed

I am going to try Beet and berry fusion with 100% Pomegranite juice
Of course I love my spinach smoothies. I have also thought of zucchini, green grapes, and limes.
Then there are carrots, butternut squash, even cucumber so it's a sweeeeet way to eat your veggies. :p yum
I'm getting to be a heavy drinker these days, but I usually eat my smoothies with a spoon!! =))
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great job, Your Majesty!!! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: