Lemonade Recipes

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
Tori

Lemonade Recipes

Post by Tori »

For those of you who love lemonade, but don't want the sugar, try this great recipe I came up with a while back!

Lemonade:

• 1 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup splenda
  • 4 cups of water

Mix well, and enjoy! If it is too tart for you, try adding more water. Couldn't get any easier than that! ;)

Here are some fun variations on it:

Cranberry Lemonade: Prepare lemonade as above. Pour 1/4 cup of 100% cranberry juice into bottom of glass. Finish filling with fresh lemonade.

Grape Lemonade: Prepare lemonade as above. Pour 1/4 cup of 100% grape juice into bottom of glass. Finish filling with fresh lemonade.

Strawberry Lemonade: Prepare lemonade as above in large pitcher. Add 1 package of fresh frozen strawberries - no sugar added! -  (or 10 ounces of your own frozen strawberries) to pitcher. Stir well, and serve over ice. The lemonade will take on a slight strawberry taste, plus you'll have a bit of fresh fruit to munch once it thaws! :)

Fresh Berry Ice Cubes: Prepare lemonade as above. Fill two ice trays with lemonade, and add one piece of your favorite berry to each section of the tray. (Raspberries or blackberries are great for this!) Freeze well. When serving your lemonade, add your berry cubes to the glass instead of ice cubes. This will keep your lemonade from watering down, plus it makes it very festive!

Tropical Lemonade: Prepare lemonade as above. Pour 1/4 cup of 100% orange juice into bottom of glass. Finish filling with fresh lemonade. To this, add ice cubes made from 100% unsweetened pineapple juice. Very tasty!
niki

Re: Lemonade Recipes

Post by niki »

hi tori..i wonder if you've tried making this lemonade with stevia?......niki
Tori

Post by Tori »

There is a version of Splenda that you use for baking, and it's measure is cup for cup. If you would rather have a more sour lemonade, you can use less Splenda by all means! Just sweeten it to your personal taste. (The 1 cup that I used is for the whole pitcher, by the way. ;))

No, I don't use Stevia because I don't like the black licorice taste to it. Icky. I can taste even the smallest amount of black licorice, (or anise), and it makes me gag.  So most of my recipes use Splenda as a sweetener when needed. lol If I am mistaking Stevia for another sweetener that has that licorice taste to it, please let me know. (I've tried so many over the years! lol)
niki

Post by niki »

hi tori....i used to buy green tea extract that was sweetened with stevia and i didn't notice any licorice taste.....but,i love licorice......i'm going to buy some stevia and try it..now,in this hot weather,fresh lemonade or limeade would be great........thanks..niki 
Tori

Post by Tori »

Hey Niki! I hope you enjoy the lemonades! I did look up Stevia, and it has licorice root in it ... that's why I don't use it. I don't mind red licorice, but black licorice has never been something I have taken to. Even taking Nyquil, (with that famous black licorice taste!) makes me gag.  I have to hold my nose, and then drink a ton of water afterwards. Still makes me shudder. ;D
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

I'm not keen on using Splenda, too artificial for me.

But I agree with Mary, stevia doesn't have to taste liquoricey. It's important not to use too much of it -- a tiny speck goes a long way. I think it's wonderful stuff -- pity that it's illegal to sell it in the UK and Europe -- some crazy law -- but as a tiny bit goes such a long way it's light to post and easy to get from the US.

Rhea
Tori

Re: Stevia

Post by Tori »

marysimmons wrote:There isn't licorice in stevia.  Stevia is a tiny little plant with very sweet leaves. 

Really? Wow! I guess the article I read was way off base! I need to find an ingredient database so it will make looking things up easier.  ;D

I'll send you my address, and thanks! Maybe it was just the brand I used or something.
cookinbigmama

Post by cookinbigmama »

i like to carry crystal light lemonade powder with me when i eat away from home because it keeps me from drinking anything but plain water flavored a tablespoon of the
lemonade powder.  have been doing that for years and have even inspired friends to use it club meetings, restaurants and even
weddings!  wylers is also good.
niki

Post by niki »

welcome to let's do lunch and to our boards 
   that's my favorite thing to drink...crystal light lemonade...i alternate that with herbal or green tea at home and seltzer when i'm out................i try not to drink too much of it because of the artificial sweetener......actually that was why i had asked tori about making lemonade with stevia....a twist of lemon or lime is good with seltzer or spring water bypassing the need for sweetener..............
   it's so wonderful to see you guys new to this wonderful program of eating......niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

I have also noticed the licorice taste in Stevia at times.  So, you aren't alone in that.  Many people seem to report the same.

Carbon

Tori wrote:There is a version of Splenda that you use for baking, and it's measure is cup for cup. If you would rather have a more sour lemonade, you can use less Splenda by all means! Just sweeten it to your personal taste. (The 1 cup that I used is for the whole pitcher, by the way. ;))

No, I don't use Stevia because I don't like the black licorice taste to it. Icky. I can taste even the smallest amount of black licorice, (or anise), and it makes me gag.  So most of my recipes use Splenda as a sweetener when needed. lol If I am mistaking Stevia for another sweetener that has that licorice taste to it, please let me know. (I've tried so many over the years! lol)