Flavored Water

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
Tori

Flavored Water

Post by Tori »

I know that a lot of people have an aversion to water, as it is pretty tasteless. (I used to be one of them!) I was a total Pepsi fiend, and since LDL, I have struggled to figure out something good to replace it. Not a big fan of regular lemonade because it is too acidic, and of course we are avoiding the sugar that normally goes into it.

Well, I finally came up with something that I *love*, and has since taken away my desire to drink soda. I "created" my own flavored water. So far I have made lemon-water, and tonight I made tangerine-water. Both are extremely yummy!

• Lemon Water:

Cut 1 lemon into rounds. (leave rind ON)
    Slice rounds in half, and add about 5 half slices of lemon to a half gallon pitcher.
    Fill with cold water, and put into refrigerator. Leave overnight before drinking for best taste.
    Serve over ice and drop a slice of lemon into your glass for a great refreshing drink!

• Tangerine Water:

Cut a tangerine in half. (leave rind ON) Put one half off to the side for now.
    Take the other half, and cut into rounds, then cut rounds in half.
    Add all of the 1/2 slices of tangerine to your 1/2 gallon pitcher of water.
    Squeeze the other half of the tangerine juice directly into the water.
    Put in refrigerator and leave overnight for best taste.

Since tangerines aren't as strong as lemons, it tastes very light, and has a better, sweeter flavor if you squeeze the juice from the other half into the pitcher as well, instead of using just the slices by themselves.

I leave both the lemon slices and the tangerine slices in my pitcher for a few days at a time, and just refill it each night. About the 3rd day or so, I will replace them with new slices of fruit.

I think my next try will be putting limes into the pitcher. Then I might start combining some fruits to see how it turns out. I hope you all give this a try ... it really is delicious, and helps you get that much needed water each day! I find that the more of this water I drink, the more of it I crave. It's fabulous!
Tori

Re: Flavored Water

Post by Tori »

Fresh, pure water is always good, but that being said, I don't think that having a few slices of lemon in 1/2 gallon pitcher is going to be detrimental at all to our health. The article you referred me to says this at the end:

"If you are one of those people who can't function in the office without a mug of something in your hand, try hot water with a slice of lemon. It really makes you feel clean and refreshed."

For me, it's been a blessing! I now drink about 1/2 gallon a day of water, if not more, compared to absolutely zero that I used to drink. I just drink it cold, instead of hot. ;)

Everyone will obviously have their own views on water, but for those die-hard water-haters, I think this is a great option. (:
nyKath

Re: Flavored Water

Post by nyKath »

And don't forget just chilling some herbal tea - especially the no caffeine ones - for a nice wet glassful! I love these since I gave up artificial sweeteners. I make the hot tea first and then pour the mug contents over a glass ful of ice. Cheers! ....NYKath