Is soy milk okay on the LDL plan?

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
Lexiesmommy
New, but learning

Is soy milk okay on the LDL plan?

Post by Lexiesmommy »

I've never been a fan of milk, but since I'm in my 30's I'm much more aware of getting enough calcium for my bones. I have been eating yogurt and cheese to help me get what I need. Since it doesn't seem like dairy will be much of a part of this plan, how can I supplement my diet to get the calcium I will need besides vitamins? My daughter has been introduced to soy milk by her grandmother and loves it. Is this something that will fit in the plan? Thanks for everyones help while I get going!
Eljayne
Master Member

Re: Is soy milk okay on the LDL plan?

Post by Eljayne »

I'm not concerned about getting enough calcium but I am concerned about not getting enough milk. I like milk. Is it forbidden on this plan or just limited. I don't have my book yet, but then I just ordered it yesterday. Patience has never been my strong suit. :'(
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

Mary, thanks for your input. I can see I'm going to have some trouble with this one on a couple of levels. First I really like a glass of milk - probably more than some people enjoy a glass of wine or other beverage of choice. Second, I disagree with the theory that adults don't need milk. I truly believe God created cows and their milk for all of us, not just babies, and the problem with processed milk is that it's no longer milk. I beleive this to be true for skim and 1% milk as well. For those of us who can access real milk that our body knows how to use to our benefit, I believe we need and should drink milk. I can give up cheese and other dairy products which are all over processed anyway, but fresh milk will have to be part of my plan. If I find the plan fails because of the milk, I'll have to rethink my belief.
I should probably keep some of my thoughts to myself until I get and read the book - I'm continually working on the patience thing. :rose:
dragonfly!

Post by dragonfly! »

Good morning,

I, too, have ordered my book and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival!  My morning beverage of choice is 1 cup of coffee, cream and 2 splendas.  Is this a habit I need to alter?

Please let me know,
Thanks,
Vanessa
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!
dragonfly!

Post by dragonfly! »

Thank you Marysimmons for answering my question about coffee!  I will do anything and everything to meet my goal! :D
I WILL REACH MY GOAL!
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

MarySimmons,  "the fatty butts of pigs"! Now that's quite a visual - are you walking behind me?  If my husband had said that I'd have had some issues, however, I appreciate your input. You are right, I should not be thinking about "failing". I should be believing I can do this!!!! It really does sound like a plan I can live with and that can help me deal with my obsessive eating of white sugar and flour products.  I'm so looking forward to receiving my book. I did pretty well yesterday with fruits and refried beans and eggs fried in evoo. I've frozen some watermelon and am looking forward to that today. I've had my craving buster breakfast and am going outside to work in the gardens - that should help as well. Not sure what to do for lunch tho....  Thanks again!  :thumbsup:
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

MarySimmons,  "the fatty butts of pigs"! Now that's quite a visual - are you walking behind me? 

Too funny!  Good thing LDL can change that visual.
Welcome Eljayne!
mrsj
withjoy
New, but learning

Post by withjoy »

personally, in my opinion, ~ all things in moderation ~ a cold glass of milk (or soy milk or rice milk) once in awhile is surely not going to harm you or your planned intentions on having LDL work. 

i find i'm getting all wrapped up in the do's and can's versus the can't's and don't's and that wasn't the intent with the book (at least from what i read) ...

eat your big meal at lunch time ..
eat more fruit then you have been ..
stay away from "fat" and "sugar" replacing it with the least fatting that tastes good to you.

this might be over simplifying but i get the idea behind the words ...

with joy!  in Christ!
diane
yourdish

Post by yourdish »

I'm such a "sicko" that burgers made from the butts of pigs sounds like a pretty tasty sandwich made in our town, (Kansas City, )famous for it's barbecues.  Incidentally a number of the famous barbecue cooks around here have died rather young. Wonder if a person could make a good burger out of ground bison with those seasonings...

It was fun to read this series of posts because I too wondered about the soy milk. My plan is to try to avoid all forbidden foods, even if I don't see the logic myself, for six months or so. This will allow the plan a chance to work. It's unlikely to harm us if we eat leafy greens and legumes.

I personally hate the taste of plain milk, so that's easy for me. But my cheese habit will be a more dramatic change.
I believe that whatever areas in our lives are not consistent with this plan are actually clues on what we need to alter.

I'm glad my pizza soup hero "little mary" wasn't actually referencing any of our large rumps when she mentioned "pork butts."    :blush:  I plan to remember that phrase to remind me that not all natural things are good for me.

yourdish  (meg)
Happiness is frozen grapes and warm friends!

Give in to your bean cravings!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyfSlc2/