Smoothies

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
MessiGardener
New, but learning

Smoothies

Post by MessiGardener »

I just made a huge smoothie using an orange, apple, frozen banana, 3 grapes and a kiwi.  I used a vitamix and thought I was supposed to add all, including peels (except the banana), so I did.  It tastes okay, but it has a twange to it.  I think because of the orange oil and maybe the seeds of the apple.  Any suggestions on how to make it good?
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Smoothies

Post by CodingQueen »

I only use orange or apple juice in my smoothies in place of water if it needs it. But, be careful.. a lot of the brands add sugar.

CQ
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Messigardener,

I too use the water. As little as possible in order to "get it to flow right."  I like to use all frozen fruits except the fresh banana. Gives it more of an ice cream feel.

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

CQ and Ollie -- I don't think she was putting any juice or liquid in her smoothie.  She just threw in all the fruit, peelings and all. 

I would think the peelings made it taste bad too!  :D  It might have been extra healthy, though.  Freezing the banana as Ollie suggested might give you an interesting twist to your smoothie.  Try it! 

Welcome to LDL and I hope you experience the same success many of us have.  It is so satisfying and you can really eat real food.  Nothing has worked so well for me in my life.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Crickadoodle,

I knew that... :laughing: OK, let me clarify what I meant...I don't take the time to peel oranges or core apples...too much work for me (I'm a busy women during the week). Occasionally, I get tired of water or ice and add juice...orange, apple, pineapple, etc. I actually prefer frozen fruit for a smoothie because it's more like ice cream. Plus, you don't have to worry about it going bad in the fridge if you don't eat it right away.

CQ
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Crickadoodle,

In another thread Messigardener stated that she uses water to make it "flow right." I was just confirming that you don't always have to use juice, that water is OK to use too.

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Oh, OK.  Just thought maybe you'd read it fast and didn't get that.  Sorry!
Tanya
New, but learning

Post by Tanya »

I got one of those apple slicer-corer utensils at the grocery.  The apple is cut and cored all at one time.  That makes it easier and less time consuming to add apples to my smoothies.  I'm finding that a fruit only smoothie doesn't stay with me all morning.  So I have been adding about 1/3-1/2 cup of beans (preferrably white beans, but have used others) in with the fruit.  I find it keeps me satisfied longer.  I hope that is okay to do.  If not, would one of the master LDL-ers please let me know?  I also, sometimes, throw in handful of spinach or a carrot in my smoothies to get move veggies (because I don't particularly like veggies).  I hope that is okay too.  Thanks for any corrections if needed here.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Tanya

Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!

Adding a little beans (and/or veggies) to your smoothies is absolutely, wonderfully ok -- even recommended to give you the added staying power, just as you've discovered all on your own!

You're gonna do splendidly on LDL!

Enjoy the journey.
Terri
Tanya
New, but learning

Post by Tanya »

Thank you, Terri.  I'm glad I'm not doing something I shouldn't.
MessiGardener
New, but learning

Post by MessiGardener »

Thanks everyone!  Great info and suggestions.  Today I made my smoothis with strawberries, frozen grapes, blueberries, and a banana thinned with Dole 100% strawberry/banana juice.  Oh, and Ice!  It's hot hot hot here today.  This one was much better than the first one. LOL    Live and learn :D
rodie

Post by rodie »

I like using juice better than water in my smoothies,but when you say watch for the sugar,EVERYTHING has sugar in it,oj,applejuice, ect. What kind of juice are you all using?
TIA
Hugzzz
Rodie :)
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I use the lite juices with only natural sugars from the fruit or 100% fruit juice.  I also use frozen concentrate 100% orange juice undeluted and add water as needed to smoothie.