McDonald's Smoothies

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
G0Dallas
New, but learning

McDonald's Smoothies

Post by G0Dallas »

Below is the info on McDonalds new smoothies.  A small 12 oz WITH yogurt is 210 calories with 44 gms sugar, (medium 16 oz = 260 cal / 55 g sugar and large 22 oz = 330 cal / 70 g sugar)and WITHOUT yogurt small 12oz is 180 calories w/41 gms sugar...not clear how much of the sugar calories are from the fruit vs from the added sugar in the ingredients list.  Also, it's interesting they post the ingredients on a flyer at the counter saying just Berry Fruit Blend w/Yogurt & Ice (ie no specific mention of the sugar)....

Here's an interesting article from thatsfit.com:

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/07/14/mcdo ... eseburger/

Here is the McDonalds nutrition chart for all their products:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritio ... nfacts.pdf

Below are the ingredients in the smoothies:

McDonalds Wild Berry Smoothie Ingredients (Small = 12 oz)

Wild Berry Fruit Blend
Strawberry puree, water, sugar, blackberry puree, blueberry puree, concentrated pineapple juice, concentrated apple juice, contains less than 1% of the following: cellulose powder, xanthan gum, colored with fruit and vegetable juice, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, pectin, citric acid.
CONTAINS: MILK
*Dispensed from equipment that also dispenses milk ingredients (yogurt)

Low Fat Yogurt
Cultured Grade A reduced fat milk, sugar, whey protein concentrate, fructose, corn starch, kosher gelatin. Contains active yogurt cultures.

Ice

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritio ... temID=3701

McDonalds Strawberry Banana Smoothie Ingredients (Small = 12 oz)

Strawberry Banana Fruit Blend
Strawberry Banana Fruit Blend: Strawberry puree, banana puree, water, sugar, concentrated apple juice, contains less than 1% of the following: cellulose powder, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, xanthan gum, citric acid, colored with fruit and vegetable juice, pectin, ascorbic acid (preservative).

CONTAINS: MILK.

*Dispensed from equipment that also dispenses milk ingredients (yogurt)

Low Fat Yogurt
Cultured Grade A reduced fat milk, sugar, whey protein concentrate, fructose, corn starch, kosher gelatin. Contains active yogurt cultures.

Ice

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritio ... temID=3719
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: McDonald's Smoothies

Post by crickadoodle »

You can pretty much be assured of the ingredients when you make it yourself.  You'll be amazed at how terrific your home made smoothies will taste.  Welcome to LDL and to a fitter, slimmer you!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: McDonald's Smoothies

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks so much, Go Dallas, for the info.  The MCD smoothie has been advertised so much on TV, so tonight at my clinic fitness workshop, I have  planned to talk to the class on how much less it costs to make fruit smoothies.  Then, I'm making each student a big glass.  Strawberries are now only 99 cents a qt...I am going to put 1/2 cup of natural yogurt, strawberries, a couple pks of splenda, and a cup of ice.  It makes 3 glasses. I made one for myself this morning.  It looked just like Mac's. Now I have the exact sugar info I need to get the point across on nutrition.  I am also going to make one with just strawberries, a little Splenda and ice. It's my favorite.  I am  also going to make banana ice cream.  Little Mary, I fixed the Taco and Pizza soups, and Mexican chicken  this afternoon.  They are in crockpots.  Our grandson, Zach stopped in; he sampled them all.  He loved the pizza soup.  Then I made Texas Caviar, and a new bean and pea salad yesterday.  They are better to make ahead 24 hrs.  I made the Jalapeno hummus.  The class should enjoy the foods.  I'm hopeful that I can sow some seeds on healthy eating to lose weight.  They have worked themselves silly with exercise.  I think exercise is a component of healthy living; however, not for losing weight.    Thanks  :thumbsup:  :D JF