Anyone ever frozen coffee cubes to make smoothies?

From smoothies to healthy teas, here you can quench your thirst!
Bren
New, but learning

Anyone ever frozen coffee cubes to make smoothies?

Post by Bren »

I was pondering brewing some good coffee...freezing them as cubes and then making smoothies with it...because I miss my frappachinos at Starbucks...this could be a way to put together something coffee and frozen that is on plan...any ideas?

Anyone ever tried this?
~Bren

barrypaxton
Master Member

Re: Anyone ever frozen coffee cubes to make smoothies?

Post by barrypaxton »

Bren,

That is funny because I was thinking along these same lines this morning. Thinking about how to make a coffee icy. We'll need to do a little experimenting.

Blessings,
Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Bren,

I never cared too much for Starbucks but you can freeze coffee in ice cube trays. Just use them in place of ice for your smoothies. You might have to make the coffee much stronger in order to get the taste that you're looking for.

CQ
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Keep me in the loop if anyone develops a good recipe.  I wonder if the coffee flavor would be lost if a banana were blended into the coffee ice cubes.  Pam
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Pam,

I'm thinking the same thing... that's why I suggested to brew the coffee stronger before freezing it in the trays.

CQ
Bren
New, but learning

Post by Bren »

Good suggestion on making it stronger so that the flavor stays...I was thinking along the lines of adding a fruit other than banana to it...I will do some experimenting and report in on my findings...for some reason, I haven't liked the taste of banana in my smoothies, though I like them fresh to eat...go figure... :rolleyes: I think I will try mandarin oranges first...then maybe rasberries and strawberries, grapefruit...all this  may be a fiasco...but either way, I will report back. They taste good in tea, why not coffee?

I did think about this and went to starbucks...ordered a plain iced coffee and added my truvia sweetener and just a small touch of ff milk...it is great!
~Bren

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Bren, I think you are going to be a great addition to the LDL family.  You are already thinking outside the box when it comes to making things.  I read your other post on the spaghetti squash mixture for breakfast.  You just keep on being creative. 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

My, that coffee idea sounds great.  :thumbsup:  JF
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

Ben  welcome aboard,  all yur creative ideas sound yummy  Gonna go try the coofee cubes now  but I hate t say but for me the banana sounds better than he fruit. Rasp. and oranges  What would you useforthe liquid,  More coffee?  Thanks  Karen
Scrapper Pearl

Post by Scrapper Pearl »

well...I've been making a coffee-mocha smoothie, which I'm afraid isn't precisely LDL, since it uses cocoa powder.
I combine a frozen banana, a rounded teaspoon of instant decaff coffee, and another rounded spoonful of cocoa powder. a few ice cubes and a splash of skim milk.

it hits the spot, but likely too well, and again, I'm not certain it's totally LDL!
lrainbow2006

Post by lrainbow2006 »

Now that sounds really good...but you are right..I'm not sure cocoa powder is allowed either...I'm sure someone will let us know soon..  Lisa

Started LDL  6/14/10
                  7/11/10  16# gone
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

It isn't because it might cause cravings, but you could try it out on yourself.  It doesn't have lots of calories and I actually use it sometimes in my "banana ice cream" that I make in my Ninja.  I don't find it affects me negatively.  It could be one of those things that help you make a better choice than eating a chocolate candy bar.  I didn't try it, though, until I'd gotten below my goal weight.  I use the dark chocolate powder, when I do, but I don't do it very often -- even though I never noticed any cravings kicking in from it.
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

what about using International decaf sugar free coffee (instant) instead of the cocoa? 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I used to love the International coffees but when I started reading labels I had to ditch them.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bren
New, but learning

Post by Bren »

I had my first "coffee" experimental smoothie and this one turned out nicely! I used 1 whole fresh banana, 4 coffee ice cubes, 1 splash of vanilla flavoring, 1 cup water and 2 truvia sweetners...it was goooood!! Reminded me of a banana milkshake without the milk...
~Bren