pickle sickles

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
snowbirdie
Master Member

pickle sickles

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi all,
      I was looking at a chef magazine and I found a new type treat. It comes from texas. They say it is a good treat for diabetics and children when you want to get away from sweet treats.It is made from brine left over from making pickles and freshly squeezed pickles. It is kept frozen and eaten frozen. So I don't know if it will hit the market for the average consumer but I sure would try it as I love pickles.
                              Judie
Queenie
Administrator

Re: pickle sickles

Post by Queenie »

Judie - I've read about these.....  I would have a hard time trying them - but then, I'm not really a pickle lover...  I like them, but don't really eat them - even if served on the side at a restaurant...  go figure!  LOL!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Yes, pickle pops are a long time Texas treat....I actually can't believe more people haven't had them.  Many public/country club swimming pools serve them around here. Just put pickle juice in an ice tray, cover with cling wrap, place a toothpick through each of the individual sections and freeze...wah-lah pickle pops.  My crew loves these in the summer...but there is some connection w/pickles and nose bleeds so we only do them every once in a while.

Lovin LDL,
Julie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

i LOVE pickles, but sucking on frozen pickle juice sounds UNAPPETIZING.....first of all, there are some undesirable things in the liquid they use to pickle things........but, isn't it wild that this should be a treat in another part of the country....NOW, if i go into manhattan and see someone selling frozen pickle juice, i WON'T be shocked..............SEE...I'VE been educated.........haha......niki   
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Now see...this sounds interesting to me as I LOVE dill pickles especially and as a kid I loved to suck the juice out of the pickle (Then crunch and eat the pickle)
806Shari

Post by 806Shari »

I LOVE PICKLES!!! ;D  We sell frozen pickle juice at Football & Basketball games.  We just put pickle juice in a little dixie cup & pop in freezer.  We always sell out.  Pickles & Popcorn are my favorite food.  I've have got nearly everyone at work hooked on it.. :sick:

shari

Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

Sorry, but the idea of this.....YUK  :sick: :sick:

Gimmme the popcorn, you can have the frozen pickle juice  ;D
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

Maybe I was a Texan in another life.  I used to get yelled at by my mother for drinking the juice out of the pickle and olive jars.  Worst part of that I had to fight my sister to get to them.  I don't know about frozen though, I haven't had pickle brine in years.  Maybe I might try that when I reach goal weight.  I think it is probably loaded with salt and preservatives can't be too healthy.
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

lifegoeson24n7 wrote: I think it is probably loaded with salt and preservatives can't be too healthy.

now, i LOVE pickles and olives and all those delicious salty things...........but, i rinse them off in water before eating them and i often drain half the pickle juice and substitute water to make them less salty.........so, if i wanted to i couldn't do this...but, you're right...it would be one thing if they were home pickled and there weren't a lot of preservatives...........what you get in the store has preservatives in it.....i could never understand people freezing pickle juice on purpose...is this a texas thing?....i'm a yankee......... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I don't know if it's a Texas thing.  I thought the pickle sicles sounded intriguing, but I couldn't have them now because of the salt.  I was raised in OK.  When I was a kid I used to crave vinegary things so badly that when we ran out of pickles & olives, I remember sneaking a drink out of the cider vinegar bottle.  It would have never occured to me to pour a little into a glass.  Now I drink diluted cider vinegar (on purpose) with a tiny bit of Nuvia for a refreshing healthy beverage.  I like the taste.

My brother ate raw biscuit dough out of the can for a snack... regularly

Good idea to replace half the brine with water - let osmosis leach out some of the salt from the pickles.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
806Shari

Post by 806Shari »

Yes I'm from TEXAS!!!  I've always love pickles & green olives.  My dad tells me that they had to hide the olives & pickles because I would try eating the whole jar at one time.    I also have a friend that would eat raw biscuits.  I tried it but it was total YUK  :sick:  Now we get to eat the correct way, LDL way!!!  Thanks again so much to RTW.

Shari