Roasted Sweet Corn

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
StacyLease

Roasted Sweet Corn

Post by StacyLease »

I am in the process of reading the book and plan to get started on the plan very soon. When I was at the grocery store the other day I found can of Roasted Sweet Corn. It is produced by the SoyNut Butter Company (www.soynutbutter.com) and comes in plain and chili lime flavors. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this and if it is okay on the plan. It has 5 grams of fat, 1 gram saturated and no trans fats. From what I can see it looks like a good health snack that would be comparable to roasted soy nuts. I'm not a big fan of soy nuts and thought these might be a good alternative. Let me know if I'm on to a good snack or off base. Thanks!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Re: Roasted Sweet Corn

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi stacyLease,
        My daughter Kris brought these home and they r still sitting here. I asked Mary what she thought and I gave her all the info. She was going to look it up and let us know. I don't know after all they are processed but then done the same way as roasted soynuts. So better wait for Marys thoughts on this product.
                                  Judie
photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

Make your own!

Sweet Roasted Corn from "Cheap. Fast. Good" by Mills and Ross

Ingredients:

1 lb frozen sweet yellow corn kernels
1 Tbl vegetable oil (I suggest using EVOO)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Place the corn in a colander and rinse it well with cool water to partially defrost. Drain well.

3.  Spread the corn in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet with at least a 1in lip. Drizzle with oil. Stir to coat well and then redistribute to form a single layer. Roast until the corn kernels start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, season with salt and serve.
Jen in N TX

greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Jen, does this result in a dry snack food, or an "eat it with a fork or spoon" vegetable choice?
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Roger,
        the only ingrediants in the roasted sweet corn are: sweet corn, naturally pressed soybean oil, and sea salt. they have not caused any cravings....1 can (8 oz) has lasted me more than a month....I occasionally have a handful while computing if I need something crunchy.....I do not like roasted soybeans.
                          kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

Greenheron,

Sorry, but it makes a heated side dish (or main dish, I guess). Although, I wonder how they would taste cool/cold? They aren't crunchy though, which I think you were looking for.
Jen in N TX

StacyLease

Post by StacyLease »

Thanks for all of the replies. I am allergic to dairy products so I use soy products instead. I try to not eat too much soy so adding it in as a snack for me really isn't an option.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

StacyLease wrote:Thanks for all of the replies. I am allergic to dairy products so I use soy products instead. I try to not eat too much soy so adding it in as a snack for me really isn't an option.

i have an underactive thyroid and can't eat soy either....i added it to my diet a couple of years ago while STRICTLY on let's do lunch and i GAINED weight.......and when i'm on let's do lunch, i don't eat any dairy because the dairy i LIKE is cheese and ice cream....that corn snack you guys are talking about?....i tried it once and i know it's good, but i think it's too high in fat to be good for let's do lunch.....i mean, finish what you have because i don't think it'll give you cravings, just that it'll affect your progress.....you're much better off with popcorn...especially when you spray it with extra virgin olive oil.....extra virgin olive oil is VERY healthy when not heated...it's still good for you when it's been heated, but way higher health benefits when it hasn't been..........
for ANYONE who can find dried roasted chick peas, THAT is a GREAT snack.....i have a few handfuls when i eat raw vegetables for lunch at work...they definitely fill you up.....well, after all, they're BEANS..............   
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
kristine13826
New, but learning

Post by kristine13826 »

I like to grill my corn on the cobb on  my George Foreman Infusion Grill with lime and chili powder. It's less fattening than all that butter and salt and soooooooooooo  good! Just wanting to share!
I also have a question to ask? Are sweet potatoes allowed? I like to french cut my sweet potatoes and spread them evenly over  a sheet of aluminum foil over a metal  baking sheet, sprayed with pam cooking spray  and  then, spray the taters with pam . I then sprinkle them with chili powder and bake in  a very hot oven  like  at about 450 degrees for about 10 minutes  til they are golden brown and kind of crisp. Are Sweet potatoes allowed on  the ldl diet?  What about grits are hominy grits allowed? I love a good bowl of steaming grits in the morning  for breakfast although I know my favorite probably isn't allowed; baked cheese and garlic grits with a dash of red hot pepper sauce?
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Kristine,

Your corn is  a great treat!  You can eat all the sweet corn you want, and you've chosen great seasoning for it.  I'm not familiar with the infusion grill...have to look that up.

However, sorry to report that sweet potatoes and hominy (grits) aren't "legal."  They both have been found to stall weight loss or cause cravings.  Grits have been processed to the point that they're more easily digested, which might sound like a good thing, but it means they'll cause a spike in blood sugar.

Try some refried beans with a fried egg on top for breakfast...it'll stick with you but not cause the uneven blood sugar levels that lead to feeling sluggish and nagging cravings.