popcorn cakes

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
gotta do it

popcorn cakes

Post by gotta do it »

hi everyone! i am a newbie.  So new in fact, I jut received my book yesterday in the mail.  I have found the book so interesting, I am reading it ALOUD to my family so everybody gets the benefit at the same time.  They are intrigued!
One thing I would like to say is that in reviewing the recipe cards, I realized that most of your recipes are super for a person with gluten intolerance!  Lettuce wraps are great for us!
Anyway, can anyone tell me about popcorn cakes (like rice cakes) as a snack. sometimes popping a batch of popcorn is not the most convenient. I apologize if it's in the book but I am still reading, and came to see if the answer might also be in a post.
Thanks for the encouragement. I know this is a good place to be.
Renee
tprouty
Master Member

Re: popcorn cakes

Post by tprouty »

Hi Renee!

Welcome, and great idea to get the whole family on board!  My hubby doesn't need to lose weight, but he likes a lot of the recipes I've tried so far. His favorite: Waldorf Salad, or Waldorf Chicken Salad!!  :D

Several years ago, I found some popcorn cakes in the store. Haven't seen them since!  :sad:  I'd like to find them again and check out the ingredients a little more thoroughly. If you can find them, I'd like to know!

What is recommended for LDL is a thinner, compressed popcorn cake, known as Real Foods Corn Thins. They make great crackers crumbled into soup, great for spreads, or as a base for a burger or "Egg McCornThin", and lots of other things. Very versatile! Check out their website:

http://www.cornthins.com/interUSA.aspx

This particular page shows where they are available in any location (they're made in Australia). But there are other pages on the site with more info. NOTE: for LDL, you'll need the ORIGINAL Corn Thins, or possibly the Cracked Pepper & Lemon. NO SEEDS! They also have some other flavors with cheese and things, but you'll want to stay away from those, too, because the fat content is higher.

I can't get the ORIGINAL Corn Thins in my area, but Amazon carries them. Beware, though.  :stop:  If you get them from Amazon DIRECTLY, you don't have to pay shipping. Some of their other sellers carry them also, and for those you DO have to pay shipping. When I tried to order them, Amazon was out of stock (I guess LDL has caused a run on Corn Thins! Woo hoo!). It would have cost about $10 more, including shipping, to get them from another seller, so I waited a few days until they came back in stock directly at Amazon. Look for the FREE SHIPPING icon!

Best of luck to you all, and be sure to check in here often! You'll find the place full of helpful, encouraging people!

God bless,
Terri
greenheron

Re: popcorn cakes

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Renee,

As far as we know, the only acceptible cakes are Real Foods Corn Thins.  They're made from field corn and popcorn, with a little added oil and salt, and they're free of other grains.

If you're gluten-intolerant, you probably already know that many of the cakes you find in grocery stores have other grains, and for LDL, they're not acceptible.  Yes, rice is fine for Celiacs, but NOT for LDL, so until someone else comes out with another cake that's only corn/popcorn, and that doesn't contain overly processed corn like cornmeal, then Corn Thins are it!  

You can read about them at www.cornthins.com .  Avoid the ones that contain other grains, or added sugar.  Many are finding them at health food stores like Whole Foods, and if you don't find them, ask if they can order them for you.  I'd say most everyone who tries them is glad to have them as a part of LDL, so they order them from Amazon by the case for the best price.

You're right...this IS a good place to be.  We're glad you're here! :)