LDL ICE CREAM RECIPE

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
margo
Master Member

LDL ICE CREAM RECIPE

Post by margo »

Hi Everyone...

Here's how i make LDL icecream:

1.   Freeze some fruit (definitely freeze some very ripe bananas -- that's what's going to make your LDL icecream really creamy).  You can freeze just about any fruit but always cut it up before freezing so you can break off chunks and pieces and toss those in your blender.  So, for instance, if i have a bunch of ripe mangos, i sit down and cut the meat of the mango off the seed and scrape off the meat from the peel and then put that in a plastic bag and toss it in the freezer.  When it is frozen you open the bag and take a knife and slice pieces of it off -- it will cut easily, don't worry.  Another example would be strawberries...wash them, cut them at least in half and put them in a bag in the freezer.  If you're freezing bananas, then take the peel off and put them (the bananas of course -- not the peels  :wrong:) in plastic bag and freeze.  You can easily cut or break off the amount you want to put in the blender.  If i have ripe melon i cut the melon over a plate, scoop out the seeds and put them in a strainer over a bowl so i can collect all that sweet juice. Then i cut the meat off the rind of the melon and cut into chunks about 1-2 inches square.  Put those in the bag along with the juice that the strained seeds have given up and freeze.  When i want to use it the pieces break off with just a  bit of prodding with a paring knife.  LIke that... If you are doing pears, wash and cut the pear away from the stem and seeds and then cut into chunks and freeze in a plastic bag.  Grapes are easy...just take off the stems and wash and towel dry a bit and put in a bag and freeze.

2. Put some other juicy fruit in the fridge to get cold.  Always use something that will make a lot of juice, like grapes or oranges, grapefruit, melons.

3.  WHen your frozen fruit is VERY hard and your refrigerated fruit is VERY cold, then take your blender and put some of the cold refrigerated fruit in.  Turn blender on and let the cold juicy fruit turn to pure juice.  When you have this juice -- which is a bit thick, but not too thick, then take the various FROZEN fruits that you want to use and put those pieces in.  Don't forget a frozen banana...it makes all the difference.  blend this until it is very smooth.   (i won't brag about my early model stainless steel vitamix).

4.  When it's smooth, it will be verrrrry thick like icecream.  if it's too juicy, then you know to put less juicy fruits in next time.  If it's too thick and the motor of your blender sounds like it's going to have a heart attack, then stop it and squeeze another orange in there and try it again.  

We like our's very very thick..  Then i put it in big bowls (probably holds a good pint and a half or so) and then i open some lychee nut fruit and put those in there (i don't remove the seeds -- heck, The General can do a little work for crying out loud!) and i also cut a very ripe and cold mango into the LDL icecream.  Then i give it a little mix with the spoon and VOILA....Heaven on Earth!  I told The General last night when i served our portions of LDL icecream, that if i could, i would marry myself!!  

Just to give you an idea.....When i crunch the numbers it looks like i use about two cups of grapes, a cup of stawberries, one melon, meat of three mangos, two bananas,  two oranges.  That's enough LDL icecream for heaping servings for The General and me...so it's like a good fruit meal and no store bought juices are used. 

Let me know if you need clarification.

God bless..
margo
Last edited by margo on June 20th, 2009, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
sibelclair

Re: LDL ICE CREAM RECIPE

Post by sibelclair »

Thanks for this recipe.  It sounds delicious. I will sure give it a try.  :thumbsup:
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

margo wrote:Hi Everyone...

Here's how i make LDL icecream:

God bless..

margo

Thanks, Margo...  I already have an ice cream headache from gobbling down your delicious confection too fast!  That's some imagination!  I can even see my sad face and hear my spoon clinking in the bottom of my empty bowl.  :sad:  Better cheer myself up and head to the kitchen to make the real thing.  If there are leftovers-- :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: --can they be refrozen?  Or is it the same big no-no as for any thawed foods?

GEM

:kissed:
GEM
Tina K

Post by Tina K »

Yummy Yummy! I'm going to try this later this evening! Sounds fantastic!

Getting my fruit Ready!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Little Mary...you're so funny....you and the children like pooooor little waifs waiting for a bowlfull of LDL icecream!  With little babushkas on your heads! Coal stained noses!  Ohhh, mercy.... :'(

Yeah...it great stuff and great for breakfast too...

I refroze it and then defrosted it a couple of times and it's just as good...but the trick is to try to wait until it is really defrosted enough that you can swirl it around with your spoon..that way you can mix in cold fresh fruit to make it chunky and to stretch the pleasure out.  But sometimes it's hard to wait.  The General almost never can wait for it to defrost so i try to make it when we're ready to eat it!

I know there are two pints in the freezer and i'm going to take one out now so that in between clients, i can have some!  Mooohhhaahhhahhhhaaaa

enjoy!
margo
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

margo wrote:Little Mary...you're so funny....you and the children like pooooor little waifs waiting for a bowlfull of LDL icecream!  With little babushkas on your heads! Coal stained noses!  Ohhh, mercy.... :'(

Yeah...it great stuff and great for breakfast too...

I know there are two pints in the freezer and i'm going to take one out now so that in between clients, i can have some!  Mooohhhaahhhahhhhaaaa
enjoy!
margo

Listen Margo...you know Mary and Brood (maybe even those two blonds from Miami that are chasin' after her 21 year old son!) are gonna show up in the morning on GEM's Front Porch:  Bean Shellin'....Corn Huskin'...Melon Slicin'...Praise Singin'... expectin' ice cream.  Now, did you see anywhere that I even once mentioned Ice Cream Savorin'?  I've already ate up all of mine, and all my fixin's, so how's about you and the General comin' on over to the front porch in the mornin' after Sunday Services?  And if you was to bring along them two pints of ice cream from out of your freezer, strictly so's not to disappoint the children, I'd be most 'preciative.  Otherwise them pooooor little babushka headed waifs are gonna be eatin' frozen popcorn out of them bowls.  Hmmm...suppose we could get Tina K to come on over, too, and bring that gorgeous bowl of fruit she's goin' on about?  Sure do look purdy, don't it?  Her and them fixins!  Two more pints, comin' right up if she do...

GEM

GEM
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

hhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....Oh Gem.....you're a riot.....frozen popcorn -- Poor Little Mary!! 
Tina K

Post by Tina K »

Gem,

I'll be happy to come and bring that fruit with me! I would love to share! Yummy Ice Cream!

Tina K.
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

Tina K wrote:Gem,

I'll be happy to come and bring that fruit with me! I would love to share! Yummy Ice Cream!

Tina K.

Why, thank you Tina, you sweet child.  That's right neighborly of you.  And listen, do you suppose you could also bring along that precious husband of yours?  There's nothin' like watchin' a hunky young man straining his sweatin'', bulgin' muscles at cranking a freezer churn to work up an appetite.  For ice cream, of course...that's what I meant.  And don't you worry a'tall 'bout them other old biddies--I'll set him right next to me on the front porch swing.  He'll be safe as a June bug on a duck's back!  *evil*

GEM

PS:  If you do be bringin' that darlin' man, could you please RSVP me in advance so's I won't take my mornin' remedies?  I take me them heart stimulatin' pills, don't you know, and I don't want to go overworkin' the old ticker by having them pills on board whilst I'm a lookin' at him. Besides, I kin save me a little money:  why pay for stimulatin' I can get for free?  Y'all dew drop inn!

GEM
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

GEM....you better git yoseff ta Choich!  :shocked: and take a sedative while you're at it!!  :shock:  I'll be praying for you (and for Tina K's husband too)  :angel:

margo
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

margo wrote:GEM....you better git yoseff ta Choich!  :shocked: and take a sedative while you're at it!!  :shock:   I'll be praying for you (and for Tina K's husband too)  :angel:

margo

I am tryin' to get myself off "ta Choich," Margo!!!  I had completely forgotten that today's the Sunday when we welcome our new young Pastor, and me, here, head of the "Ladies' Welcoming Committee and Altar Society!"  I'm not taking my heart stimulatin' pills for sure, now, what with all the excitement goin' on.  Shoot fire, girlfriend, I may even take me one of them sedative's you're goin' on about, just to keep me calmed down.  Got no more time to write.  I'm wearing that blowsy, flowerdy chiffon dress--you 'member--with the burnout overskirt trimmed with the satin chartruese and flamingo ruffles, and the wide belt with the rhinestone buckle.  And you know I ain't been on LDL long enough to quite whittle down this round ole apple waist line of mine.  So I'm backed up here at the end of the hall, so's I can get a runnin' head start down the length of it--sort of like a runway, only I ain't takin' off anywhere--to give me enough room to get into this girdle...run and pull up...run and pull up.  Works like a charm, you just got to have a care for the manicure, even if it is home did.  Dear Heaven's, hope I 'membered to pull the shades on the front door glass, else old man Hawkins' is gonna be over here in a flash, just a pawin' and a snortin' on the porch steps.  Now there's a man what needs a sedative!  Speakin' of men, I am so lookin' forward to meetin' your General.  Maybe he can takeover when the kid gets tired.  Of churnin' the ice cream, I mean, you naughty Jezebel!  ;) *evil*  TaTa!

GEM

GEM
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

oh noooooooooo GEM.... :stop:    i'm not letting The General get within 5,000 miles of youuuuu!!!

But really....do remember all of us in your prayers!

(and later you can tell us whether you're rehearsing your stand-up comedy act)..... i'm laughing...but not tooooooo much!! just to be on the safe side!  Don't want to get into any further troubles with God! --(i'm going to have a hard enough time getting into Heaven as it is!)

God bless...

margo
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

margo wrote:oh noooooooooo GEM.... :stop:    i'm not letting The General get within 5,000 miles of youuuuu!!!

But really....do remember all of us in your prayers!

(and later you can tell us whether you're rehearsing your stand-up comedy act)..... i'm laughing...but not tooooooo much!! just to be on the safe side!  Don't want to get into any further troubles with God! --(i'm going to have a hard enough time getting into Heaven as it is!)

God bless...

margo

Not to worry, Miz Margo.  You'll learn GEM is infamous for fracturin' quotes, but as best I 'member it, you know what they say:  Man plans and God laughs.  So, you see, He does have a sense of humor, least ways, my God does.  I thank him every day for giving me mine...helping folks lift their loads by pausing a moment to share a laugh, well, I take it as my ministry.  Don't have to be any good at getting a chuckle, I just have to care enough in my heart about people to try.  Try...that's all I gotta do--sounds sortta like the way we practice LDL around here, don't it?  Smile, girl!  God loves you!  So does GEM.

GEM

GEM
Tina K

Post by Tina K »

OH GEM,

You made me laugh so hard! I'm gonna send my hubby over later to give you a hand with that churn! There will be plenty of left over ice cream though, the hubs doesn't like things cold  ;)  *evil*  Ice Cream I mean!

Enjoy your day! I'm off to get the family ready for church!

PS I really enjoy your sense of humor & My God has a huge sense of humor too!!  :angel:  :D

Happy Day!

Tina
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

Tina K wrote:OH GEM,

You made me laugh so hard! I'm gonna send my hubby over later to give you a hand with that churn! There will be plenty of left over ice cream though, the hubs doesn't like things cold  ;)  *evil*  Ice Cream I mean!

Happy Day!

Tina

Cold ain't one thing the old GEM's ever been accused of, honey chile!

Bring them kids to what's turnin' into a real ice cream social.  They ever seen a real front porch, with a swing and all?  Harley and China Blue, my kitties, will just love those babies all to pieces, and so will ever body else.  You just bring 'um on along.  And if we run out of ice cream, why, they can just eat frozen popcorn with Mary's kids--yours won't be wearin' babushkas, will they?  Gotta be able to tell them apart from Mary's brood.

Happy Father's Day to your DH, and bless you young folks for takin' you little ones to church and teachin' them how to pray.

Love from GEM.

GEM
GEM
Master Member

Post by GEM »

marysimmons wrote:Well,GEM, it's been nice, but I think we're going to leave your front porch and head back home now.

Dexter's yearning to go fishing, and to be honest, I'm rather worried that this big ol' babushka thing on top of my head is going to hinder my hair color.  You can't be "sunbleached" blonde for very long when the hair is covered up babushka style, and I simply can't go back to the darker blonde I was when I lived in England.  Unfortunately, the two apparently gorgeous and vivacious Miami college girls heard that frozen popcorn was being served, so they never showed up anyways. What a disappointment.  I guess I never will get the pleasure of meeting them if they only show up when I'm out of town visiting Roger.  Which gives me a great idea!  Brilliant!  I'll swing by Roger and Anita's home on my way back to the Keys and sit on their deck for a while to savor some of THEIR homemade LDL ICE CREAM.  I'm confident they must have a Vita-Mix of their very own by now!   *woot*  MR. WILSON!  Have you bought your sweet wife a Vita-Mix yet?

Mary

While you're sitting on that sun drenched deck, whip off that old babushka and punch up those faded sun streaks.  And say, Mary, what's this I heard (through the grapevine, of course,) about Roger going on QVC, and offering a free Vita-Mix with every Let's Do Lunch book purchased?  When I opened my new bank account, I didn't even get a cruddy toaster!  Oh, and a new scheme for Neet's VIta-Mix--well, if the rumor's true, she could just visit Roger on QVC and buy the book--how 'bout getting T-rock to hook Neet's up with someone over in publicity at Vita-Mix, so Neet's could do endorsements of the macerating marvels?  Surely they'd give her a free one for demonstration purposes?

GEM

GEM
kristine13826
New, but learning

Post by kristine13826 »

Thanx for this recipe. I tried peach and ginger ice cream tonight.  sooooooooo good after a long hard days work. :thumbsup:
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Kristine...

Ginger!!!?!? :shock:

How did you do it?  Did you grate fresh ginger into the icecream once it was all smooth?  Or did you juice the ginger or did you just peel some and put it in the blender along with your peaches?? Tell ALL!!! It sounds so refreshing.  The General would love ginger in his icecream.  I'm thinking ginger and banana and peach -- .....wonderful!

I'm standing by holding my hand of ginger in my hand!

margo