Chick pea nuts !!

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
yoyodieter

Chick pea nuts !!

Post by yoyodieter »

Hello all
I saw some mention that Chick Peas were not easy to roast and some folks had problems getting and making them.
I took a can of chick peas rinsed and drained them, dried them on some paper towel and put them on a small baking sheet. i sprayed them with Olive oil PAM and sprinkled Onion powder, a bit of salt and tossed them.
I baked these in the oven at 400°F for 1 hour into my toaster oven on convection. I tossed them once. They turned out just great. They were all equally crunchy. i did add more seasoning and another dose of Pam.
Deeeeelicious  ;D and these are quite filing .
I have some Popcorn seasoning that is " Ketchup flavor" That on the roasted chick peas is yummy. With these seasonings one has to watch out for added sugar and to much sodium. The next batch I make will be seasoned with curry powder/cumin and some salt.
Someone had mentioned mixing these " nuts" with golden raisins... I can only imagine how good those would be.( of course loaded with fibre as well).
Giesela :thumbsup:
turkkm
Master Member

Re: Chick pea nuts !!

Post by turkkm »

If you don't have a convection oven will this recipe work in a regular oven?  It sounds very good for when the munchies strike!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
yoyodieter

Post by yoyodieter »

Hi Kathie
I am sure it would, my big oven is a croak so I use my toaster oven for smaller items. You may have to bake them a little longer without convection.
Give it a try. These " nuts" are really filling and lower in fat than the soynuts. :thumbsup:
Giesela
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Having never eaten Garbanzo beans (aka chick peas) I wanted to try the roasted ones to use as a snack. Bought a few cans the other day and tried them tonight. Didn't look for the recipe...tried to do it from memory. I swear someone posted that you could brown them in a skillet on the stovetop. So I drained them, put some EEOV in a non-stick skillet, used some garlic and sea salt in a grinder (available at Wal-Mart) on coarse grind and sprinkled them. Cooked them on low stirring them occassionaly until brown. DH loved the smell of them cooking. Not wanting them to burn, I took them off to cool when evenly brown. They were only slightly crisp on the outside and sill a little soft in the middle....not the crunchies I had hoped for. DH did not like them at all. Sooooooo, when all else fails, read the directions. Went searching for some posts and found the one about cooking them in a 400 degree oven for 20 min. Just popped the same non-stick skillet with the beans/peas in and brought them out in about 15 min since they were already partially cooked. This worked great.

Going through the posts and seeing others had trouble with this, I decided this was the way I would do it. Can't trust myself to keep checking and stirring them in the oven. I usually get distracted and let things burn. So by browning on top of the stove I was able to keep an eye on them and finish in the oven to crisp them up without stirring.

So here’s my method:

Drain and rinse 1 can Garbanzo Beans/Chick Peas

Place about 1-2 Tbsp EEOV in an 8 or 10 inch non-stick skillet.

Add Beans/Peas

Sprinkle with Garlic/Sea Salt from grinder or whatever spices/herbs catch your fancy

Sauté on low until evenly brown.

If Beans/Peas still soft in the middle, place skillet with Beans/Peas in oven at 400 degrees for 10-20 min depending on how well done you got them on the stove top.

Putting a NuWave Convection Oven on my Refund wish list. Bet it would do a better job of cooking them.
Not even doing a Christmas wish list since we are getting out of debt this year and going cash–only so it will wait until Feb or March. Maybe price will be down by then…a better blessing!
Last edited by LINDA RN on January 12th, 2011, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

thanks Linda, I'm going to try this your way.  I tried earlier, roasting in the oven, without great success.  Some of them burned, some didn't get crisp, but those that did were very tasty!!
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I made them for my husband and baked them forever because they were still soft in the middle.  But we found when we waited for them to get crunchy in the middle they were just this side of burned and got way to crunchy when cooled.  When I try them again I think I would let them be just a little soft in the center when removing them.  If anyone has any other ideas that would help please let me know.  I liked the one about putting them in the fry pan first so I may try that next time.
VBIRNEY
New, but learning

Post by VBIRNEY »

I just made these and had no trouble, I jsut kep checking them every 15 mins or so.  They are GREAT!!! Thanks a bunch!!  *love*
ChrissyV

Post by ChrissyV »

If you don't have a convection oven you just have to raise the temperature for around 30° higher
Clarice
New, but learning

Post by Clarice »

Thanks for posting these.  I knew I had seen the recipe somewhere and I just couldn't remember where.  I bought some roasted, salted green peas at the store just yesterday.  They are crunchy and tasty.  Just a tablespoon or 2 and I am good to go.  Not sure, but they should be LDL friendly.  I think I will try to make these at home sometime that is after I try the chickpeas.  :)
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

I haven't tried the oven so thanks for the ideas.  I will try this.  What I have been doing is, I take a can of garbanzos (chickpeas), rinse and drain, cook in a skillet with 1-2 tablespoon evoo.  It takes a little while.  I keep turning them.  I take half out to eat and leave the other half in the pan and once I have finished eating the first half, take the last batch from the skillet and these are better than the first.  Other than fruit or popcorn, this is my favorite snack!  When you need to eat and have the munchies and want something warm this really works.  I have never eaten garbanzos before LDL and love them.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

The raisin variety is especially good for an occasional treat.  They do pretty well with kids and travel....never anything good at the gas station stops and these keep us from being tempted.

Blessings,
Julie
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

I'm so happy this topic came up again because I made some at Christmas time using a new recipe I found. The recipe called for baking them just like Wendy did and they all burnt before they turned hard like a nut.  I threw out the recipe but now I am certainly going to try Linda's method of cooking most of the way on top of the stove.