Orange-Pumpkin Custard

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Orange-Pumpkin Custard

Post by VickiLynn »

I was looking through my cookbooks trying to find another pumpkin dessert and found this one.  I don't know if the prunes are LDL friendly, but because desserts are a once in a while treat I thought they would be okay.

1 can (16 oz.) pure pumpkin
1/2 cup pitted and finely chopped prunes
1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 teaspoons ICBINB (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, stir together the pumpkin, prunes, apple and orange juice concentrates and margarine.  Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.  Transfer to a food processor or blender.  Add the milk, egg substitute, orange peel and pumpkin-pie spice. Process until smooth.

Spoon pumpkin mixture into 6-ounce custard cups.  Place cups in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and add 1 inch of hot water.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the custard comes out clean.

Note: If you have more time and want to serve this dessert in a different way, purchase 8 little eating pumpkins (approximately 3-1/2 inches in diameter).  Cut off the tops of each pumpkin about 1" down.  Scoop out the seeds.  Place shells in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until the flesh is tender but the shells are not in danger of collapsing. Spoon the custard mixture into the shells.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the custard comes out clean.