Cherry-Berry Pie

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Cherry-Berry Pie

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Cherry-Berry Pie

1 (14.5 oz) can pitted tart red cherries, undrained
1 (12 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed
1 cup fresh blue berries or frozen, thawed
2/3 cup SF sweetener
1 heaping Tbs cornstarch

Optional toppings:
Frozen low-fat vanilla yogurt
SF vanilla pudding w/ skim milk

Instructions:
Drain cherry juice into cup and save.
Combine SF sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan; gradually stir in reserved juice.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.  Boil 1 minute stirring constantly.  Stir in fruit and heat.  Remove from heat and pour in glass dish. Put in refrigerator until cool and thick.  Eat plain or with toppings.
Last edited by wendysgoodnews on June 4th, 2010, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Re: Cherry-Berry Pie

Post by barrypaxton »

This sounds yummy!!! I'm definitely going to try it.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Be careful about this.  It does have some processed stuff in it.  What do the canned cherries have in them, I wonder?  Be aware that corn starch is very processed and so is the pudding.  Just, if you choose to eat this, make it an occasional food.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

The Cherries are canned with water only.  Make sure and get the cherries that say tart red cherries.  The pudding is optional and they are so good without that it is not needed.  That way it can be an all the time meal.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

I bought the ingredients the other day for this pie,,, just haven't made it yet... hopefully will this weekend..

Looking forward to tasting it!
Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
Missdonna

Post by Missdonna »

I haven't tried this yet but I was wondering if it would still be good if I used a banana instead of the cornstarch?
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This pie is sooo delicious!  I might think banana would change the taste alot since it is such a strong taste.  You could certainly try it and see how it works it might be really good.  I would probably prefer the corn starch or maybe even add a little raspberry sugar free jello to thicken.  But then maybe it has thickener in it that is equivalent to corn starch I am not sure.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Wendy,  I just checked out your recipe for Cherry-Berry Pie.  Sounds good.  But I do have a question:  Just recently I had to eat just berries for my fruit and was surprised to see that my local grocery store only had frozen Raspberries that had Added Sugar!  :'( .  So I just want to make a note to double check the ingredients list.  I thought all the berries were just berries . . . boy, was I wrong.  I will definitely make this recipe but I will substitute frozen blackberries instead of raspberries.

*hug*
Ginny
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

In our frozen section I find the all berry raspberries.  There is also raspberries that have had sugar added.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Thanks, Wendy.  I'll keep looking.  I'll have to try a different grocery store.  I sure was unhappy about the sugar.  Keep giving us these good recipes  :D  *love*  :drool:

*hug*
Ginny