Garbanzo Nuts

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
niki

Re: Garbanzo Nuts

Post by niki »

that's great rhea...i'm so glad it worked...i will make some so that i can compare the homemade ones.....but,when i buy them, i get them plain...i don't even buy them salted...i tried them salted(i like the soynuts salted)but didn't like these with salt...i like to taste the flavor of the chick peas......but,yes,a mealy center is the way they should taste......thank you so much for trying this...and NOW you can try pulverising them to use as a flour and a filler for meatballs(greek meatballs...keftedes)......niki

niki

Post by niki »

hey...i wish i could...i had been surfing the net looking for someone to buy them from without success......just wait until these interviews of roger's create a whirlwind in ny and the boards are loaded with new yorkers who can buy roasted chick peas on every street corner...HEY,maybe even another greek.........and how about the ldl revolution which will make all allowable ldl foods available THROUGHOUT the country.......ldl foods in schools,in restaurants.....a decline in the sale of all the unhealthy carbs and a rise in the sale of all the healthy ones..so that americans WILL NO LONGER BE the fatest people on the planet...
  ok...i'm back....i've awoken from my dream(although it was a pleasant one)..as to the roasted chick peas,everyone take a look at rhea's post of how she successfully made them.....the only thing is that this is not really a good time of year to be roasting chick peas in the oven....but,when we get a wave of a couple of cool days,it could happen.............God bless......niki
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

niki wrote:i don't think i saw this post at the end of the trials of trying to perfect making dried roasted chick peas asking me to chime in.....because i would have asked everyone why they didn't just buy the finished product from loads of sources....i've never known a greek who made these themselves..they always buy them...and you can get them in any mediterranean store or any store that sells nuts and seeds...i mean,we eat soynuts because they're healthy and crunchy...but,if someone came up with nuts that were not fattening that tasted like the real thing,would there be a lot of people that would prefer soynuts?....i don't know...maybe some......but,greeks eat dried roasted chick peas because they like them and NOT as a substitute for anything...mixed with raisins they're delicious.........i buy both...soynuts and chick peas...if i eat israeli chickpea soup,i'll snack on soynuts that day.....most other beans,i'll eat stragalia(that's what they're called in greek)...now,i pulverized the roasted chick peas and used it as a filler for meat balls...the next thing i'm going to try making is chicken francais substituting this chickpea flour for regular flour....i wonder if i'm going to be uncomfortable eating it because it'll taste like the real thing(just like the greek meatballs i made)...
    and now i'm getting my dr to raise my dose of thyroid medication,so it shouldn't be long before i'm able to lose the additional 20 pounds i want to lose..........LOVE THIS PROGRAM.....niki     

Jill - this question comes up so often I have bookmarked this thread.  Niki says don't bother 'cause she can find them easily in her markets in NY.  I have found one source at a local Greek specialty store & they were okay. 

If you try to make them yourself - use Rhea's method, but coat them with a tiny bit of olive oil & fine salt before roasting.  Watch them closely & shake often 'cause 20 minutes is a long time under the broiler.  This recipe is closer than any other way I've tried & they still aren't that great - tough & leathery, but great if you're craving jerky!  I came very close when I threw a handful of THOSE into my micro popcorn popper & let them pop along with the popcorn.  (wow - how many times can you work "pop" into a sentence?)  Honest opinion?  I'm glad I tried 'em ... I'll stick with my grapes & popcorn!

Signed,
The Grape Lady  -- HA HA
Last edited by Gwennaford on February 11th, 2009, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

Mary/Gwen,

Thank you so much for the quick responses.  I don't think there is a big Greek population in southwestern Ohio, so I will opt for trying to roast my own.

Yes, I will have to watch out for snacking, but I kinda want a substitute for grapes in morning and/or night.  Grapes just get too sweet (OMGosh can you believe the sweet-a-holic said "too sweet")  I also think the Garbanzo nuts will travel slightly better than grapes.

--Jill
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Rhea,
    I know this is off the subject but I was wondering if you live anywhere near stoke-on-trent. My dad was born there. Many many years ago. Do you know any folks by the last name Rudge?
                          Judie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

lifegoeson24n7 wrote: I don't think there is a big Greek population in southwestern Ohio, so I will opt for trying to roast my own.

and luckily you can eat all the rejects because you CAN'T eat too many beans....i have to tell you that this is probably the only snack i can really eat that i just can't eat that many of...they're kind of dry and they're very filling.....have them with a hot cup of tea and you REALLY can't eat that many.......i just bought a bunch...they were $2.75/pound....gwen..how much did you pay? 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I think they were just under $3, maybe $2.89.  I'm not sure - it was last summer.  Michelle got them for me with my debit card & didn't get a receipt.  They didn't really blow my skirt up, so I didn't send her for them again.  ha ha

I want to reiterate - I made Rhea's recipe & they were very chewy & tough.  But when I threw a handful of them (after they were done Rhea's way) into the microwave popcorn cooker when starting the corn, the intense heat finished drying them out and made them very crunchy.  Much more like what I got at the store.  I heard on "How It's Made" that the temperature of the exploding corn kernels is something over 2,000 degrees for a millisecond, so I guess that's the secret of making them crispier.  Microwaving them alone didn't work.
Last edited by Gwennaford on February 12th, 2009, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
savannah

Post by savannah »

It's summer time and I didn't want to heat the house with the oven....so revised your recipe a little...they turned out great....not rock hard but crunchy on the outside & little soft in the middle...

1 CAN GARBANZO BEANS, RINSED, DRAINED, PAT DRY
put on paper plate in a single layer....microwave 8 minutes....stirring every 2 minutes...remove and while hot gently spray with olive oil and salt free Mrs Dash.... :rolleyes:
Barbieb
New, but learning

Post by Barbieb »

sounds great.  I will have to try this recipe too.
thanks,
Barbieb
yoyodieter

Post by yoyodieter »

Hello all
As I do not live in the USA I do a lot of online shopping for things hard to find. It seems that roasted Garbanzos ( aka chick peas are hard to find) I found a website http//www.nutsonline.com.Look under snacks and click on chick peas. Up comes a variety! Chick pea flour !! That should make great pancakes instead of grinding popped corn?? The roasted chick peas come as hard or soft- think they are only salted but one could spice them up.
I am definitely going to order some goodies from them. :drool:
Giesela