Custard Fruit Salad

Wonderful fruit dishes as well as other LDL approved treats!
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Custard Fruit Salad

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I was looking for some recipes to make for Thanksgiving since we will be having a houseful of people and I want to make dishes that they will like but not know it is considered diet.

CUSTARD FRUIT SALAD

1 can crushed pineapple w/ juice
1 can peaches, drained
1 can pears, drained
1/2 c. cherries - diced and drained
1 pkg  sugarfree vanilla instant pudding

Chill fruit for 1 hr or overnight.  Mix all fruit together.  Sprinkle dry pudding over fruit and mix with fruit.
Last edited by wendysgoodnews on October 20th, 2010, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Custard Fruit Salad

Post by Joyful Friend »

This is very good.  The recipe went around the circles several years ago.  It tastes good and looks delicious.  I would use it, but don't like the  equal  in the pudding.  Maybe, we could come up with  a homemade pudding made with Splenda.  It would be nice.  :thumbsup:  JF
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Ya it sounded like an easy recipe and something everyone would like.  I have one I used to make with buttermilk and pudding that was made with mixed fruit in a can.  This reminded me of that.
mroszczak1

Post by mroszczak1 »

Wendy, what kind of cherries do you use?
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I use either fresh cherries during the summer or pie cherries canned in water.  They can be found in most grocery stores in the fruit section not the pie section
mroszczak1

Post by mroszczak1 »

Thanks Wendy!
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Wendy this sound really yummy.
                            Charlotte
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

JF,
Since the ingredients in the dry pudding mix are processed and not really LDL legal, why not try it with a little Greek Yogurt and either Splenda or just a little honey to sweeten and hold it together?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

My daughter loved this custard fruit salad so much that she requested it for her birthday - she does not follow LDL.  Maybe it is okay for an occasional treat! Thanks for posting.
mroszczak1

Post by mroszczak1 »

Wendy, I made this tonight YUMO  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:TY Cindy
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

Glad you liked it, it is one of our favorites.

I make it when I am going to a dinner or having a bbq during the summer so it is only
an occational item.  During the time I was eating it I was still losing weight quickly.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

The SF pudding is legal on LDL. It may be processed but then so is a lot of other stuff on LDL. In the book the recipes have processed foods in them. Roger always said to use the least fattening version of the foods you love. I have used the SF pudding all the time I've been on LDL. While it may not be as healthy as other choices, it has not hurt my weight loss. One of my favorite dishes is a pumpkin dessert made with SF vanilla pudding. I think Roger has even posted that he enjoys this dessert.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Hi Wendy,

What size are these cans?  15 oz?  And the pudding?  The small box?

Thanks!

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

The cans are 14.5 and called tart cherries.
It is the small pkg of pudding
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

Thank you Wendy!  Can't wait to try it.

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Ollie,
I was responding to JF's comment in that she did not use Equal (I got very sick on it once and avoid it like the plague) which is what was in the SF pudding mix. Rather than try to come up with all the dry ingredients to make it from scratch, the Greek Yogurt is a healthy alternative and so not sweet. I have not tried it with stevia but have used a little honey. Not a regular by any means. I think I have only bought some twice in the past 18 mo.

I know there are those who would say Greek Yogurt is very healthy and should be used for weight loss, but for me it is too tempting and I would eat it like icecream. Since I have been stalled for so long I stay away. But I think it would make the fruit salad tasty for an occasional treat.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Thanks Cindy for bringing this recipe up again.  I must have missed it the first time.  I love the Jello SF, FF vanilla and chocolate puddings and use the ones that are cooked, not the instant ones because those tend to leave an aftertaste that I find unpleasant.  I am going to try this one the next time I get a sweet tooth craving that fruit alone doesn't quench.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I make my own pudding, and it has never started cravings, nor caused me to gain weight.  Here is my recipe
2 cups of milk--skimmed milk
3 T corn starch
2 egg yolk
1 cup Splenda
Mix together
Cook in microwave for 5-6 minutes  Stir once
When cooked add 3/4 t of vanilla  4 nice servings  I put over fresh bananas---add  natural coconut sometimes.    It is so easily made that I have eaten it quite often.  Since I was a tiny child, I have preferred pudding to ice cream, so I consider it a treat.  Whatever one wants to do suits me fine.  I haven't used equal since 01, so no boxed puddings for me.  For the mixed fruit, I used one small package of regular pudding and added fruit juice instead of milk.  When it starts to glaze, I remove it from the heat, let cool, and then pour it over a hugh can of tropical drained fruit and 2 cans of pineapple, drained. Several  sliced bananas  and a few grapes.  It is delicious.  Not too many calories because  there is so much fruit, and you only want the fruit lightly coated. I attended a large HS graduation party and I had given the mother the recipe.  She served it with the cake.  People thought it was delicious.  :thumbsup: JF
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - thank you for the recipe.  Sounds really good.  Can't wait to try it.  Jerrie :)
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Wendy, I mixed up your fruit and pudding recipe. I wasn't sure I would like it. BUT it is good. I didn't have the reccommend fruit so used pineapple and kids fruit I_am_a_BAD_Spammertail that has lots of cherries in it.  It is very good. I supposse you could use any fruit you wanted. Bananas too!  Thanks for posting it.
                                           judie

OOPS, You all know what I mean that famous fruit mixed in the can that is diced up.  HA HA HA  sorry I did not mean to be naughty!
Last edited by snowbirdie on May 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.